Good practice Amp for the Metal Side of Life

• Thread starter The Rhone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Rhone

Reaction score
Hi,

I need a new practice amp. I bought a Krank rev Jnr and it is way too loud, so need something that's not going to fry the neighbours, but still get a resonablely good tone.

Any ideas?

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Roland Cubes? I always liked them for lower volume stuff. Also, Engl amps seem to retain tone at way lower than TV levels.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
peavey Rage 158 used w/ a JoBo'd DS-1?

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Line 6 Spider. Insane mode is great for practising metal at low volumes, plus you get headphones output and built in effects.

Salvation

Reaction score
Hmmm, well you have quite a few options...

As far as high end amps go ENGL's,the Mesa Mark IV, Makos, Splawns keep awesome tone at exceptionally low volumes.
The Peavey 5150s are also great amps that get good tone at low volumes.

If you want versatility for practicing every genre, get a Rivera Chubster/Quiana 1x12 combo and get a good OD. This will give you amazing tone that you will even be able to use for gigs! :shred:

Or get an Epiphone Valve Junior or a Blackheart Killer Ant and boost it.

Or just get an attenuator, but choose a good one, cause some add coloration and/or suck tone.

Well that said, those are just a few of the many choices you can make when choosing a practice amplifier

maccayoung

Reaction score
I think a lot of people use the cubes around these forums. The spider is okay though.

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
What about that one Ibanez amp that's not available in stores here in the states? I'm sure a few of the guys on here know what I'm talking about; someone posted soundclips of it and it's impressive.

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
IMO i love my small combo amp. Vox AD30VT-XL. Has master volume and wattage knob. So you can push the tubes to full on master volume and turn down the wattage on the back. Find it very useful and you dont lose a ton of tone by changing the wattage. Also has headphone output and footswitch capabilities.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO i love my small combo amp. Vox AD30VT-XL. Has master volume and wattage knob. So you can push the tubes to full on master volume and turn down the wattage on the back. Find it very useful and you dont lose a ton of tone by changing the wattage. Also has headphone output and footswitch capabilities.

Don't wanna nitpick (okay, yes I do :D), but that would be tube, not tubes. The same will apply, just dont want people confused when they think its gonna have a tube power section when it really only has 1 tube in it, which couldn't provide the full amplification given thats not what 12AX7s are rated for.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
I love my Roland Micro Cube. I had one earlier too, sold it, regretted it, bought a new one. Best practice amp ever! Also, you can use it with batteries and go play it outside, which is really cool sometimes! I've heard that the Vox AD5 is good too, but I haven't had a chance to try one.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

Don't wanna nitpick (okay, yes I do :D), but that would be tube, not tubes. The same will apply, just dont want people confused when they think its gonna have a tube power section when it really only has 1 tube in it, which couldn't provide the full amplification given thats not what 12AX7s are rated for.

Yeah, it's just a 'mini' power section, probably like one watt, that's amplified through the SS power section of the amp.

Nevertheless, the Vox Valvetronix amps sound killer, and feel far more natural playing through them than Line 6 or Roland, IMO. The XL's have great metal tones.