Good rack multi-FX?

• Thread starter nikki-k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikki-k

Reaction score
Hi!
I am trying to find a rack multi-effect (or two if need be). I have an old SGX 2000 (up'd to Express) that I liked the sound of the phaser, flanger, and some of the odd effects, and then the delay and chorus were decent enough. Unit is a bit cloudy and colored, but did me well. It has been dying for awhile, so I began searching for a new one. (Oh- btw- I have a TriAxis, so preamp in the effects unit is NOT a consideration.. it can have one, or not, I do not care..lol..)

I had a Digitech 2120/2112, and just sold it. Not my cup of tea. I just bought a TC Electronic G-Major, and while the chorus, verb and delay sound nice, they are limited in scope; add to that the crappy (IMO) phaser, and a flanger that is.. ugh.. (not even touching the compressor.. and noise gate/EQ are not needed for me). So, the box is not my cup of tea either. The G-Force would be nice for the advanced routing I really want, plus the flexability with the chorus, delay and verbs; but, with the rest being worthless for me, I just cannot see spending $1.5k on it.

So, I am trying to find something again. Oh- huge problem: I am a paraplegic, and testing out gear is.. well, very, very difficult. I grabbed the G-Major from a Guitar Center, and can take it back to exchange for something else (14 days I think?). I was contemplating grabbing a TC D-Two for delay/chorus (special olympics version of a 2290?), and filling in around it. Maybe...

Pedals are out (too much of a PITA for me now). Well, I will likely end up re-buying MXR Phase 90 and Small Stone pedals... But, would really like to have chorus, delay, and verb (at least) in a single rack unit, and be able to enter exact values, plus set mix/blend of dry/wet. Arranging effects order would be a nice bonus...

Trying to stay under $1k new.. suggestions? (I am trying to make a list, and then find someone to help bring one of my guitars so I can hopefully have a good day and try a few pieces out before buying this time...)

thx!
nikki :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Used666

Reaction score
If i were you id try to stretch your budget to ~$1300 and get an Axe FX Standard. The effects on it are incredible.

nikki-k

Reaction score
If i were you id try to stretch your budget to ~$1300 and get an Axe FX Standard. The effects on it are incredible.
I did a quick search, saw it and the skeptic in me taped my shoulder and said, "Uh.. yeah, fly by night company, prolly a one trick pony that will break and leave you in tears.."

OMFG!! I found some video and audio of it, and yeah- THAT is what I call tone. Really nice.

At the same time, back in my price range, I found the Boss GT-Pro. I figured it would be a toy, or some floorboard type thing, so I ignored it before. I love the USB + computer GUI for editing, and when I took a second, I thought, "Hmm.. could it be Boss pedal sounds, but with rack flexability?" Since I do not care about amp modellers, it is solely effects quality, configurability and contourability I am concerned with. Routing seems stellar (3 send/return loops???), but the quality concerns me, as does how much I would be able to contour things (I find pedals VERY limited typically; but, they are typically singular in intent, and tone by design.. and love that about them).

Have not been fond of Line 6 stuff in the past (especially the amp modelling), but have not tried their effects stuff (except the Echo Farm TDM plugin, which was cool)

Still searching.. wish I could afford that Axe FX.. they have a sale for the model going.. $1499! (drool)

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score

I've got to second this call. I'm running a standard and have for over a year without a single hiccup. And by the way, it out Triaxises a Triaxis for sure. The modeling is so good on it I hate to even call it modeling.

I joke with my musician friends that it delivers on what the Triaxis was designed to do, with an Eventide Eclipse thrown in for good measure.

Diogene303

Reaction score
Have not been fond of Line 6 stuff in the past (especially the amp modelling), but have not tried their effects stuff (except the Echo Farm TDM plugin, which was cool)

nikki :D[/QUOTE]

Hey Nikki,

Why not have a look at the Line 6 podx3pro , That is a pretty good unit

Diogene:hbang:

nikki-k

Reaction score
I've got to second this call. I'm running a standard and have for over a year without a single hiccup. And by the way, it out Triaxises a Triaxis for sure. The modeling is so good on it I hate to even call it modeling.

I joke with my musician friends that it delivers on what the Triaxis was designed to do, with an Eventide Eclipse thrown in for good measure.
Dammit, you guys are killin me... I am looking around my home for stuff to sell now...

The delay, verb and chorus seem to be the cat's tits (had to use the phrase somewhere today..lol...). What about flanger, phaser and other stuff? If I could get away with only the Axe FX, and forgo the MXR/Small Stone route.. well.. maybe I could pry out a kidney..

Big question: Anyone compare Axe standard to ultra? I definitely do not need the vocoder. Live performance, even if I ended up playing out, is a bit of oddity since I would not use my feet. Possibly create some "onboard the instrument" thing..

Oh! Anyone try it with bass? Keys? I am guessing that this is close to studio quality effects all around, just aimed at guitarists? Only scary part for me is that it would be my "last hoorah" and if it broke and the "company" had disappeared.. well.. like I said, VERY scary for me.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
besides the fact that the AXE FX also is a fx and modeller in one, does it blwo away the G series FX by TC electronics?

nikki-k

Reaction score
OK, just letting you Axe FX cult members know that you have me scrounging the house for ANYTHING of value that I can sell and not feel horrible about selling later. Is this how a crack or meth addict feels? This is all your fault!!! DAMMIT!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

The only good thing is that even if I had the money now, the Ultra is what I want NEED, so due to backlog, I could not get one this week anyway. I cannot believe I am even considering this... I am going to go cry over my inability to resist this devious cult... I blame you for informing about it!!! :scream::wallbash::realmad:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
OK, just letting you Axe FX cult members know that you have me scrounging the house for ANYTHING of value that I can sell and not feel horrible about selling later. Is this how a crack or meth addict feels? This is all your fault!!! DAMMIT!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

The only good thing is that even if I had the money now, the Ultra is what I want NEED, so due to backlog, I could not get one this week anyway. I cannot believe I am even considering this... I am going to go cry over my inability to resist this devious cult... I blame you for informing about it!!! :scream::wallbash::realmad:

JOIIIIIIIIIIN UUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
besides the fact that the AXE FX also is a fx and modeller in one, does it blwo away the G series FX by TC electronics?

It's been compared to a TC G Force and Eventide Eclipse by guy that have owned both units and although it sounds different, it is on par quality wise with both but most I've spoke with preferred the interface to both the Eventide and the TC.

IMHO the modeling can't be compared to anyone else out there.

I had a Triaxis / 2:90 rig for a long time and loved it but was frustrated that I couldn't get a convincing Recto tone. My Axe Fx does a better job of copping both the Rectos and the Mark IV's I've owned than my Triaxis did.

nikki-k

Reaction score
Hi again!
OK, I joined the Fractal forums and posted over there. My only real remaining concerns are the sound/timbre/quality/adjustability of phaser, flanger, and other "special" effects; support/repair 4-5 years from now (if needed, mainly due to this being "boutique" in a way); will it play nice with my TriAxis; the infamous fan; use with bass (and maybe voice); cost (dammit.. Ultra is the ONLY choice).

Eclipse, GTR/DSP4000, and a few others in the running now since I am selling sacrificing gear to feed the need.. (sigh)...

Any other forums I might find other opinions on rack gear? Maybe I need a router/switcher with a few pieces of rack gear? (that damn Axe FX Ultra is too good to be true IMO..lol...)
Thx again!