Good reasons to quit your job?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you should have been talking to hr and making records of things.

Reactions: IGC

Fretwreck

Reaction score
your job is extremely stressful with tight deadlines and people pressuring you all the time to make deadlines. Your hrs of work isnfrom 9am tp 9pm sometimes ever later...so busy you no time to eat or piss.. And you have co workers constantly bitching and mouthing off and complaining how bad your are and last the boss tells you they will hit a younger person who has better credentials than you with the same job title working along side you...now if you are a family man supporting a wife and two kids..do you quit?
No. you don't quit. you fuck up your boss with a stapler. seriously

vejichan

Reaction score
Sorry if this is prying, but if you want, will you share the juicy details?

I basically walked out with no job

Gotta agree looking back at quitting all my past jobs (8 in 22 years), yeah I am glad I moved on. The only one I that wasn't a good move was when I walked out of my third job without having a new one lined up. And because I needed to get a peycheck had to take a lesser job. It was a good learning experience tho. And I was 19, living with mom...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Worst case scenario is: one door closes and another door opens...that “in limbo” feeling is scary, but it can also force you into a better opportunity. Entrepreneurs have the scariest feeling of all when they take the risk and step into the unknown. Don’t be afraid to take a risk when it dictates your quality of life...

vejichan

Reaction score
Some times it comes down what is more important supporting your family or keeping your dignity

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Always try to line up another job before moving on. In any job, if i get bored, or decide i don't like it, i'll start looking, and see if i can get an offer for somewhere else. Until I have something lined up, I just put up with whatever bullshit has been pissing me off in the knowledge that it'll soon be over.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Update: i decided to apologize and go back to my job. The fear of being poor with no source of income far outweighs all the BS

FYI, you ABSOLUTELY need to be looking for another job, right now.

In fact, consider this: your full-time job is to find a better job

Finding a job is about matching a lot of things. Not just your skills and experience vs the employers wishlist, but also the TIMING. What are the chances that the perfect job is there at the exact time you're looking for it? Pretty slim.

However, if you look for a new job constantly, your chances are much much higher.

Not to mention, you are clearly unhappy in this job, you've quit once and then begged to go back. Your boss knows you are unlikely to want to stay. And your boss has also already asked you to train your replacement... your days are numbered... You need to be looking NOW for new jobs.

btbg

Reaction score
Some times it comes down what is more important supporting your family or keeping your dignity

Supporting your family comes first.

I wake up every morning at 4am, we’ll before my wife and daughter are up, catch a bus to my worksite an hour and a half outside of town, start work at 6:30, work 12 hours in often hazardous atmospheres wearing life protecting equipment, and then catch that same bus home at 6:50, getting home anywhere between 8:30 and 9:00 pm, long after my little girl has gone to bed.

I do this for anywhere from 18-24 days straight before I get 3-4 days off.

Do I like it? No. But I keep doing it because I have a wife, a two year old and another baby on the way, and nothing else lined up.

My dignity will take a back seat to my family every time.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
It is true in work- as it is in life in general- that we teach people how to treat us. I'm not saying that the OP's experiences are all his doing, but following Lemonbaby's point, the first time you skip a lunch, skip a bathroom break, take somebody's guff, or are the first person in and the last one out of the office, a precedent begins to form and that will always be expected. Nobody's ever going to return to you what you've given-away.

Absolute truth.

I am victim of this myself. I have a kid and a family so I am always in fear of losing my job which has a high turnover rate.

I volunteer for things and have done a lot of extra to try and secure a spot later when they start firing people (always happens here). But now I get sucked into a lot of extra BS that I do not want to do while others who refuse do even do what is required still have their jobs.

Will see if it pays off next time firings come around but yeah, the guy speaks the truth. Now they expect these things from me. It is BS.

Try to find another job and good luck.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
It all depends on your job market and whether it is easy for you to find a new job. Your CV and the competition from other job seekers should also be taken into consideration before making any move. At the end of the day it is up to you to make the correct decision, just weight everything beforehand.

Splenetic

Reaction score
I don't mean this in a snide way, but yeah even with the apology and them taking you back, you need to be looking for a new job. You're now pretty much on their shitlist and if they have to make cuts, you'll probably be on the top of the heap. Something similar happened to me a while back. Didn't even quit, just went to HR. Got fired three days later.