Good Sepultura albums?

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuh

Reaction score
Beneath the Remains
Chaos A.D.
Arise
Roots

Newer stuff is good just haven't spent as much time with it.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Chaos A.D. is one of my favourite metal albums, period. I saw it as being one of the more original albums of the Max-era.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
My picks are Beneath the remains and Chaos AD. Roots was the album where it started to be "too much" for me. It's still an interesting album but that's when I started to dislike their tonal direction, although I loved the percussions. I didn't listen to what came after, although I saw them live without Max a few times and the shows were pretty good, with Andreas Kisser showing he can fit the bill as a single live guitarist. His tone put the following Slayer to shame, really.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Seeing as most recommendations lean on the Max era I figured I'd go the other way....

Against
is decent quite experimental but at times it feels a bit like a retread of Roots but then again plenty of people say the same about the first few Soulfly albums. :lol:

Nation is much better and carries on that experimental vibe of Against but is more straightforward.

Roorback
was the turning point for me as it's the album where they found their identity with Greene and I feel like if it had been their first release with him things would be different.
This was also the album where they began to work the thrash back into the mix and imo everything after this has been solid really as they seem to be working this threeway split between thrashier material dark grooves and experimental moments.

wankerness

Reaction score
I got Chaos AD and Roots as my first albums. Then right when they got to BMG Music (lolol), I bought Against and the first Soulfly album at the same time, and my reaction was just all the dumb roary nu-metal influence had gone to Soulfly and all the interesting world music stuff had gone to Sepultura.

Over the years I've softened on Soulfly, but I still think my first impression wasn't totally wrong.

chopeth

Reaction score
Over the years I've softened on Soulfly, but I still think my first impression wasn't totally wrong.

I do too so, Soulfly added some fresh air to a already dead formula, and I felt it as soon as I listened to it. Against was terrible to me compared to Sepultura standards. I must admit I thought me too old for the new singer, too much good stuff in arise, Chaos A.D., Roots and BTR to care. And I began to get into Black metal, progressive Death and more intrincate styles, a new world in music opened to my ears, so I abandoned Sepultura as plenty of other bands I extremely fanboyed in my teens.

But I must admit too the last Sepultura album got me very interested again.

xzacx

Reaction score
If you end up liking any of the older stuff and wanna check out another Brazilian band, give Sarcófago a listen. That was Wagner Lamounier's band, who was Sepultura's original singer. More black/death metal than Sepultura. I.N.R.I. is a classic album.

decoy205

Reaction score
Arise, Chaos AD and Beneath The Remains \M/

My picks as well. If anyone is looking for a Max side projects they should check out Nailbomb. It was with the dude from Fudge Tunnel. The one album they released might be better than all the Sepultura releases. I have to say though that the Chaos AD songs live are so damn heavy and will definitely get you off your ass.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
My picks as well. If anyone is looking for a Max side projects they should check out Nailbomb. It was with the dude from Fudge Tunnel.

This. I adore the first Nailbomb album. It out Sepultura'd Sepultura and out Fear Factory'd Fear Factory.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I'm not a huge thrash guy, so this isn't the endorsement it'd be coming from others. That said, Arise just might be my favorite thrash album. :scream2:

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
BTR, Arise, Chaos A.D., and Roots with Chaos being my favorite.

Never been able to get into post-Max Sep at all. And minus a few songs Soulfly pretty much blew pretty hard too.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Arise and anything before that.

I hated Chaos AD when it came out and after a quick listen, that hasn't changed. Biotech is Godzilla? Bleh.

wankerness

Reaction score
Soulfly was just trying too hard to be mainstream, with truly cringeworthy results. My go-to worst lyrics ever are both from Soulfly songs:

What the f***, I'm a mack truck! Are you gonna give up like a b*tch, or JUMP DA F*** UP?!?!

You piece of s*** that's in a diaper, don't make me call a sniper, and wash your brains off my windshield wiper, you dirty bug!!!

EDIT: Actually, I guess the second was from a Limp Bizkit song. Soulfly has the MUCH better:

When I put your sorry ass in a package
You piece of s*** sealed and delivered from a savage
And now you sweat because you're goin down
You envious clown f***in' bleed

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Come on,

Seek and strike, seek and strike
Strike

It's poetry in its purest form

The sort of thing that makes you long for the elaborate syntax of a Burton C Bell lyric