Got POD Farm working as a VST through Reaper, but tones sound like crap. Help?

• Thread starter ty469725
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ty469725

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a POD X3 and recently I came across a tone that sounded awesome, but unfortunately it was made with POD Farm and a Pod Studio UX1. I downloaded the tone and tried opening it with Gearbox but it said that the patch wasn't supported.

So, never using POD Farm before, I decided to download it and try and open it up through it. I got both POD Farm 2.0 and 1.12, and the tone successfully opens up in both, but then I found out that my POD X3 isn't supported by POD Farm.

Then I learned about how POD Farm can be used as a VST-plug-in in a DAW. I'm really, really bad this stuff, but I managed to get it working in Reaper by copying the POD Farm.dll file into Reapers Plugins/FX folder. I even loaded the preset in POD Farm through Reaper! But that's where I ran into problems.

First, I don't know how to use the tone while I'm recording, it only comes into effect after I record. I was hoping to jam with the tone, not just listen to it after I finished recording

Second, the tone itself sounds NOTHING like it should. There's a ton of feedback and noise, and the distortion sounds really loud. What's going on there?

I didn't do any configuring, because I simply don't know what to do, so hopefully its an easy solution.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
That's because you're amping your guitar signal twice, once through the pod x3, and then again in pod farm.

So basically your signal chain is guitar > pod x3 tone > pod farm tone. Open up the control panel of your X3 (by either going to Control Panel > Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices, or in your audio device window in Reaper), and go to the second tab (inputs & recording).

Should look like this

Audio+Midi+Devices+Line+6.jpg

Now change that to "send clean guitar only". This should track only a DI track but you will hear the tone on your pod x3 while you track. So don't load pod farm until you've tracked your DI tracks.

If you actually want to monitor through pod farm (i.e hear pod farm tones live as you play) then go back to the Line 6 control panel and turn your monitor level all the way down.