What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I went to pick it up and there was an EVH 5150 Stealth 50w and a Mini Invective at this GC location. Literally the exact amps I was looking at before buying the VTM, both of which I have never tried before.

I tried all 3 (VTM, Invective, EVH) into a 212 and bros… for what I’m trying to do it wasn’t even close. That EVH Stealth 50w is the PINNACLE of every amp I’ve tried for high gain stuff.

I returned the VTM on the spot and now I’m just price shopping for a good 5150 50w Stealth.
It’s such a good amp. The only thing I’ve tried that really competed with it for me was the EL34 50 watt. The OG 5153 6l6 has always seemed too smooth / polite for my taste. The Iconic head through a good cab was about 85% there for me, but the real deal stealth and EL34 are just straight up at the top of the heap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Not that it’s even necessary but, can you throw KT88s in an EVH 50w Stealth since it has adjustable bias?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Kiesel could never

It's funny I get strong Kiesel vibes with the color and double creams. Not sure what to do though in terms of a neck though. I don't feel like I have the right thing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont associate them with double cream myself.

Im sure a neck could be made.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's funny I get strong Kiesel vibes with the color and double creams. Not sure what to do though in terms of a neck though. I don't feel like I have the right thing.

Kiesels are never that classy :lol: It would need to be neon orange with an algae green burst for that...

narad

Reaction score
Kiesels are never that classy :lol: It would need to be neon orange with an algae green burst for that...

Guess I was thinking more Carvin era. I'd like to pretend Kiesel era doesn't exist :D

vZh3TaBR6xdXPDO8mT0iDwQG5RaJgh-QkzSYT_bNxd0LpE3M_BMU29Gjn1wQMOorHxsLh6BtrdxPj4em1VFqYsoo7oZ-

narad

Reaction score
And 3 of 4 landed... Jackson Soloist Jr. I have one of these and maybe it makes this one superfluous and better off selling, but it's one of my favorite Jackson models ever made. It's like a short scale flat top horizon, ebony board:

20240517_094944.jpg

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Should I get a Tonex Pedal (the $399 one) and the Mesa amp bundle, or a Boss EQ-200 and a Spark Mini?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How far is that from a used fm3 lol
Like half. Would a person of reasonable sensibilities be happier with a used FM3? (Not rhetorical; I’ve never even seen one in person.) Opinions still seem mixed about the Tonex. Is it really any good, for someone who knows how to RTFM and work a computer with at least average competency?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Like half. Would a person of reasonable sensibilities be happier with a used FM3? (Not rhetorical; I’ve never even seen one in person.)
Well a new fm3 turbo is $1100usd? So a mk1 with headphone jack (lol) should easily be $700usd give or take. Tonex at $400 just had me wondering how much the bundle you mentioned adds, as you’re already partway there.

I think the NAM pedal makes sense if you want to do captures, maybe the kemper stage? Iirc with tonex the issue is the software/ecosystem but i havent had coffee and may be mixing it up with someone else.

I think you’d be very hard pressed to beat an fm3 at $700usd. They just had a firmware update - do some digging on forums and yt (leon todd ye ye) and see what you think. If you just want to run captures of your own setup, then yeah you can probably spend less on a different device.