Got to check out a SLAT-7 and some new Mesas today

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Went down to Matts Music today with a buddy of mine and checked out a new Jackson SLAT-7 (green swirl), a Mesa Mark V and one of the new Dual Rectos.
#1. the Jackson completely surprised me.
I had spend a good part of the morning at another friends house and was playing his old Charvel 650XL for a couple of hours. Well the Jackson SLAT-7 felt like a 7 string version of his Charvel (almost exactly like it).
so if you've ever played one of those old Chavels or the Jackon "Pros" from the early 90's you know what these feel like.
It honestly caught me off guard. I didn't think I was going to like it........... I f'n loved it, the 81 in the bridge sounds so much better than a 707. It played great, the build looked really solid and nice and clean too.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to order a trans black one after I get my Rico Jr. and unload my 7620. I've always been a Jackson/Charvel guy and never owned an Ibanez until I started playing 7's.
Well now I can go back to Jackson at the same price point of a new 1527:shred:

#2.
Mesa Mark V. My buddy was realy interested in this one so we used this as the test amp for the Jackson and a Jackson Adrian Smith Strat (my buddy brought it with him).
Overall all nice amp, the clean channel is gorgeous, channel 2 didn't get much play time as he was interested in channel 3.
at 10 watts it sounded horrible, at 45 or 90 it came alive and really sounded pretty good. It sounded so close to my mark IV that I would never see the need for one myself, but he is "markless" at the moment and has serious gas for this thing. I thought the IV setting sounded better than the Extreme did but maybe at higher volumes that would change.
IIC+ sounded pretty cool too, but I don't know it it sounds just like an original IIC+ or not and frankly I really couldn't care less.
The amp sounded great and if I didn't already have a Mark IV I would probably have serious gas for this amp myself.

#3.
the new Rectos sound pretty good , I played thru a dual (he had a triple as well), the clean channel was considerably better than a 'traditional" recto but honestly, I think I prefer a Roadster. there was something about the vintage channel that didn't sound right, Modern sounded ........well like a dual recto.
I didn't boost it either which to me is like a neutered recto so I'd have t spend more time with it to give a real review.

Overall a pretty fun day and it's always cool to hang out with Matt.:yesway:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Now I am sure that I want a SLAT-7... I really wanted to know if the neck was similar like the early 90's jackson pro's...

Thanks for the review man... :hbang:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I too was a Jackson guy when I played 6s (Soloist, Dinky) and then moved to Ibanez for their 7s. I'm getting a small twinkle of gas for one of these .... but then I keep telling myself that the Sexxiverse would have to go and then my gas goes away :lol:

Reaction score
Cool dude, its good to get a little bit of a review on the SLAT-7.
Ive been kinda interested in them lately.

bibz

Reaction score
Glad you got to checkout the slat man. Reaffirms I'm not just blindly fanboying my opinion of mine :lol:

rob_l

Reaction score
Hell yeah man!!! The SLAT was pretty amazing even compared to CS 7 that I have - Maybe better because the SLAT has ful size inlayes..:lol:

I put some tracks down last nite using the SLAT3-7, the SL2-7 and a SLAT3-6 in chlorine - And for the first time, got the MESA Recto Recording Pre, and HOT DAMN - It gives the Axe-FX a run for it's money. (It has a M9 out front and a G-Major 2 in the loop) and just oozes that tube tone) :hbang:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell yeah man!!! The SLAT was pretty amazing even compared to CS 7 that I have - Maybe better because the SLAT has ful size inlayes..:lol:

I put some tracks down last nite using the SLAT3-7, the SL2-7 and a SLAT3-6 in chlorine - And for the first time, got the MESA Recto Recording Pre, and HOT DAMN - It gives the Axe-FX a run for it's money. (It has a M9 out front and a G-Major 2 in the loop) and just oozes that tube tone) :hbang:

Got a link, Rob? Your studio looks so amazing from all the pics I've seen, I'd love to hear what it all sounds like :)

rob_l

Reaction score
Sure man - It's a work in progress and I'm gonna be adding songs to the flahplayer tonite. A lot of stuff I do I cant post because because most of my recording, even in the "home studio" here, is for other people. Having a 4 yr old son doesnt help either at times, working on my own stuff I mean.

Studio has a treated control room, live room and a vocal booth. Until my divorce I couldnt commandeer the whole house for recording - So I just used VS2480s and D3200s as my DAW because all the PCs I tried just werent cuttin' the mustard. After the divorce is when the cable snakes,in-wall speaker lines and C|24 w/ a 3 14 space credenza.

When you see the incomplete gear list, you'll know I mean bidness...! lol

Heres the link to the, 5 week old studio site.... :lol:

WELCOME TO EXTRA|SENSORY STUDIOS

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The meso recto recording pre is pretty sick, one of their power amps (is it the 2:90 or 2:100) paired with it is supposed to be a dual rectifier if I remember.