Gotoh GE1996T-7, coming 2021

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Our prayers have been answered:

Screenshot2020111800.jpg

Finally! I'm pretty excited, the GE1996T is my absolute go-to for any Floyd guitar. Here's hoping these continue the trend of a quality, inexpensive alternative to the German made variants (that are honestly better units overall).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
Late as hell, but exciting nonetheless! Now for an 8 variant, too (hahahaha yeeeaaaaah right)

Reaction score
For the 350-400$, I’m just going to simmer and see what these will cost.

2nd hand market are a little less... and they pop up regularly... I know I've bought one about 10 years ago because the base place of one in one of my guitars had broken due to a gigbag slip from my shoulder. When I opened the bag, the base plate was broken at the bottom knife. I managed to buy one with exactly the same finish (cosmo black or whatever color that is) by 250€, maybe 300€ (I can't remember, but it wasn't more than this)... but again, this was about 10 or 11 years ago...

Phlegethon

Reaction score
Hope Gotoh sells these hand over fist. Their tuners are solid, so expect these will work just as well. This is making me wonder if I could retrofit one into my S770, the ZR trem with its special snowflake bearings gives me cause for concern. Not too sure that getting parts for it would be doable by the time something might decide to implode.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2nd hand market are a little less... and they pop up regularly... I know I've bought one about 10 years ago because the base place of one in one of my guitars had broken due to a gigbag slip from my shoulder. When I opened the bag, the base plate was broken at the bottom knife. I managed to buy one with exactly the same finish (cosmo black or whatever color that is) by 250€, maybe 300€ (I can't remember, but it wasn't more than this)... but again, this was about 10 or 11 years ago...

Much different market now.

That was back when used RG7620s were plentiful and going for under $500 regularly. The only way to really make good money off of them was parting out, so Lo-Pro 7s were common used.

But that's not the case anymore. Not only are there fewer RG7620s on the open market, they're much older so the bridges aren't in nearly as good of shape.

There aren't any used bridges on Reverb now, and even used 7s are ~$400 on eBay.

A full new kit unit is $450 when in stock.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope Gotoh sells these hand over fist. Their tuners are solid, so expect these will work just as well. This is making me wonder if I could retrofit one into my S770, the ZR trem with its special snowflake bearings gives me cause for concern. Not too sure that getting parts for it would be doable by the time something might decide to implode.

Nothing is a direct fit for the ZR. But it's fine, the bearings, if lubricated, will last a lifetime.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm guessing these are gonna be made to the same dimensions as the Floyd Rose 7-string, like the 6-string 1996 is to the FR 6 string? That's also judging by the string clamp screw lengths, which are longer than the old Schaller/TRS screw clamp screws. Guessing these won't be a direct replacement for a lot of LFR/(Lo-)TRS 7-string bridges.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@HeHasTheJazzHands Not sure if it'll be a 1:1, even the 6-string Gotoh to a Floyd route isn't exactly perfect in my experience - especially when you bore the stud insert holes and install the god-tier locking ones that come with the GE1996T. They can sometimes (depending on how the guitar was initially routed, not everyone or every guitar hits the exact same tolerances every time) have very light interference issues with the low E saddle touching the top of the stud. Very easy fix with minimal filing, but worth noting.

On the topic of longer sting lock screws, I need to get a few sets for a couple Gotoh swaps I've done recently and it looks like AllParts old part number is discontinued. Dang.

Last edited: