Gotoh trem GE1996T quality question. Is this normal?

• Thread starter MASS DEFECT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Damn OP asks a reasonable question and then gets fucking eviscerated for no reason. I definitely would be asking the same thing if my "Floyd Killer" looked like that. This thread is weird
To be fair, only one poster decide to tell him to get fucked. That said, the OP's trem is totally pitted and the worst I have seen come out of their factory.

surfer-dude.gif

Reaction score
Seriously,

If you have to zoom in with your iphone, it is not a fucking issue.

Customers like you, who want unreasonable perfection, are annoying as fuck, and part of the problem of western society wanting everything perfect and immediately.

Get over yourself. It looks like you haven't even installed it on the fucking guitar yet.
Everything okay at home, Champ? Ya doin okay, Slugger? Ya had a little outburst today...you a little upset there, Buddy? Wanna hug it out, Sport?

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I got my 1996T 7 string bridge in the mail today. It does have some pitting on the side, consistent with the shots of my other two guitars with Gotoh bridges. I still don't see it as an issue being that it isn't a funtional problem nor a highly visible spot to any casual observer.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I literally just ordered a Gotoh 1996 7 string trem for my E-II arrow 7 to replace the Floyd that it has now. Seeing an imperfection on the edge like that, which does not affect performance or feel would not encourage me to go to a forum to question if it was a return or not.
...though it WOULD make me wonder if what I had bought was really a legit Gotoh and not a knockoff sold as the real thing, from a third party seller.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
...though it WOULD make me wonder if what I had bought was really a legit Gotoh and not a knockoff sold as the real thing, from a third party seller.

Was my first thought actually. Upon further inspection, mine was a return sold as new. The bag for the screws was opened among other signs.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was my first thought actually. Upon further inspection, mine was a return sold as new. The bag for the screws was opened among other signs.

The two I have are not returns and were bought from a Gotoh dealer... I just think they're not worried about non-functional plating defects.

I should pull out my Suhr Neon Drip and check it now just because I'm curious...

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Coz that's a B stock factory 2nd, fam! Don't nobody want that shit. Send it back do they can sand down the edges smooth and replate it.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
If I spent $100+ on something that was "new" and it was all pitted out like that I wouldn't even come here to ask, I would just put in for a return due to unspecified condition issues. The Licensed Floyds on my 20 year old Squier stagemasters look better than that.

Edika

Reaction score
I recently got one and hadn't noticed the pitting. I checked it and it was inline of what others have posted and not as bad as the OP's. You can return it and get a replacement. It's not functional but on the other hand it's rough. If Gotoh gets away with these defects they won't invest on improving their process. If they get enough returns they'll optimize it to improve the cosmetic aspect.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got my 1996T 7 string bridge in the mail today. It does have some pitting on the side, consistent with the shots of my other two guitars with Gotoh bridges. I still don't see it as an issue being that it isn't a funtional problem nor a highly visible spot to any casual observer.
My 7 is definitely not quite as nicely finished as my 6 is. They're about a year apart, so maybe this is a recent cost-cutting move?

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Seriously,

If you have to zoom in with your iphone, it is not a fucking issue.

Customers like you, who want unreasonable perfection, are annoying as fuck, and part of the problem of western society wanting everything perfect and immediately.

Get over yourself. It looks like you haven't even installed it on the fucking guitar yet.
Are you a shop owner, perchance?🙂

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I've noticed that they only polish the top and bottom surfaces of the bridge plate and leave the side edges "rough" but I've never seen anything that rough since I ordered a strat trem from Wudtone.

I would just send it back for a replacement if it really bothers you. That's something that should be like a scratch and dent special and sold for a discount but in today's era of contactless shopping over the world wide web, the seller will just keep sending it out until someone keeps it.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
OP is sane. I would've sent that back, and I frequently make fun of this place for having unrealistic views on QC for products.