Guide To Djent Tone [Updated March 7 '13]

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Rad stuff man! Can't wait to hear what else you come up with. Vocalist reminds me of a slightly deathcore/black metal influenced Jens Kidman, I love it! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Or you could get an EQ pedal and cut off most frequencies below 200hz, slightly boost 800hz and put a noticeable boost around 1400~1600hz?

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Or you could get an EQ pedal and cut off most frequencies below 200hz, slightly boost 800hz and put a noticeable boost around 1400~1600hz?

200Hz is a bit on the extreme side, in my opinion. As for 800Hz depends on what you want. And as I said 1.4kHz is a great starting point, but as with any of these numbers they are merely a suggested area, and should be experimented with. But there's a lot more to it than just the EQ.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score

When I was running a 31 band EQ in my chain, I'd have a bit of a dip at 100hz, and a slight boost around 60hz to add back some low end punch without getting flubby. Heard about doing that from an interview with Devin Townsend and I really liked the result.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
When I was running a 31 band EQ in my chain, I'd have a bit of a dip at 100hz, and a slight boost around 60hz to add back some low end punch without getting flubby. Heard about doing that from an interview with Devin Townsend and I really liked the result.

Nice tip dude, thanks for sharing. :metal:

Garband

Desparate Noob
Reaction score
I hate asking such a stupid question, but... When talking about the OD settings, you say the common set up is for the level to be 10. Is that 10 o'clock, or 10 as in maxed out (unless Marshall makes an OD pedal ;] )?

Thanks for the guide.. Hopefully this will help me get a tone I like out of my Mesa! :D

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
I hate asking such a stupid question, but... When talking about the OD settings, you say the common set up is for the level to be 10. Is that 10 o'clock, or 10 as in maxed out (unless Marshall makes an OD pedal ;] )?

Thanks for the guide.. Hopefully this will help me get a tone I like out of my Mesa! :D
He means 10 as in maxed out :) Don't worry about it :wavey:

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score

He means 10 as in maxed out :) Don't worry about it :wavey:

Righto! Not a stupid question at all man. :)

funknotik

Reaction score
I had a look at the bulb preset for the AXE FX (which I don't own unfortunately.) I noticed there is one amp option where the 1200 area is boosted and here within the drive block emulation (ts808) we see the 1.4 area boosted quite a bit. Do any of you have experience with the axe fx in confirming this is what's going on? I've been experimenting with both areas slightly boosted and it seems to be sounded much better particularly for staccato parts. What do you guys think thought I'd share.

Also notice his use of the level/output at around 80 and the tone about 57.

axe fx freq boost.jpg

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Question for the Axe FX-users:

What cab/stereo cab and mics do you use for your recording tones?
I use a Recto 1 and a 4x12 V30 with no mic, because it sounds fairly good recorded... But it sounds artificial as hell :(

Any tips?

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I had a look at the bulb preset for the AXE FX (which I don't own unfortunately.) I noticed there is one amp option where the 1200 area is boosted and here within the drive block emulation (ts808) we see the 1.4 area boosted quite a bit. Do any of you have experience with the axe fx in confirming this is what's going on? I've been experimenting with both areas slightly boosted and it seems to be sounded much better particularly for staccato parts. What do you guys think thought I'd share.

Also notice his use of the level/output at around 80 and the tone about 57.

View attachment 42317

Not sure what you're asking here, man. I've got an AxeFX and have looked at those patches before but I think you've answered your question, they are boosted there in the patch so yeah... what more confirmation is needed? Haha.

I can almost guarantee the position of the drive's level and tone knobs are just done by ear, and not like his EQ boost which he's probably learned "Oh I like this about here". He probably just tweaked them to where they sounded good, rather than a standard thing he always does, I would imagine.

It's also worth noting that the firmware the patch was made on is important, as the sound does change between updates so I can pretty much guarantee this patch would look quite different on the current firmware.

Question for the Axe FX-users:

What cab/stereo cab and mics do you use for your recording tones?
I use a Recto 1 and a 4x12 V30 with no mic, because it sounds fairly good recorded... But it sounds artificial as hell :(

Any tips?

I think you'd be better off asking on the Fractal Forum. Really depends on the sound you're going for and how you're dialing things in. I will say though that your recording tone probably won't be the same as your live tone, at least I've never experienced that where one tone is optimal for both.

funknotik

Reaction score
Not sure what you're asking here, man. I've got an AxeFX and have looked at those patches before but I think you've answered your question, they are boosted there in the patch so yeah... what more confirmation is needed? Haha.

I can almost guarantee the position of the drive's level and tone knobs are just done by ear, and not like his EQ boost which he's probably learned "Oh I like this about here". He probably just tweaked them to where they sounded good, rather than a standard thing he always does, I would imagine.

It's also worth noting that the firmware the patch was made on is important, as the sound does change between updates so I can pretty much guarantee this patch would look quite different on the current firmware.

I phrased it incorrectly but Yeah you answered my question inadvertently lol. I don't actually own an AXE FX so I couldn't really tell what parts of the patch are tweaked and what parts just come like that as soon as you open up the program or load a preset. I got to mess with it more and figured out most of what I wanted to know. Thanks for your response though, and your total right everything really is to taste, I've played through other peoples rigs and they eq things completely differently but still got a good tone. It's always interesting to see other peoples recipes for a good sound.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I phrased it incorrectly but Yeah you answered my question inadvertently lol. I don't actually own an AXE FX so I couldn't really tell what parts of the patch are tweaked and what parts just come like that as soon as you open up the program or load a preset. I got to mess with it more and figured out most of what I wanted to know. Thanks for your response though, and your total right everything really is to taste, I've played through other peoples rigs and they eq things completely differently but still got a good tone. It's always interesting to see other peoples recipes for a good sound.

No worries. Yeah totally, crazy how much things can change between players! Thanks for sharing.

SilentCartographer

Creator as Observer
Reaction score
Awesome!! thanks for the info.. Was never to sure about the compressor and EQ settings but I do have a parametric EQ that I've never had much purpose using so thats a plus.. anyway I know Im late to the thread but thanks again homeskillet

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Awesome!! thanks for the info.. Was never to sure about the compressor and EQ settings but I do have a parametric EQ that I've never had much purpose using so thats a plus.. anyway I know Im late to the thread but thanks again homeskillet

Glad it was helpful to you man. With compression I personally like a medium-slow attack depending on what type of music you're playing and what kind of riffs you tend to play. For really rhythmic stuff like chugs you want to emphasize the attack so give it some time before the compression comes in to let the transient through and it'll smooth things out after that initial hit. Feel free to experiment, I'm sure I'm no expert when it comes to this.

SilentCartographer

Creator as Observer
Reaction score
Yeah I tried playing around a compressor before but didnt feel the need for it with previous bands as it was more deathcore type shit and just used block letter 5150 w/ a teeny bit of gate. But will for sure need a tighter, fatter tone. Btw I use POD farm at home for practice and what not.. would the same rules apply ei with the dual/triple noise gate? or is that more with analog?

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Yeah I tried playing around a compressor before but didnt feel the need for it with previous bands as it was more deathcore type shit and just used block letter 5150 w/ a teeny bit of gate. But will for sure need a tighter, fatter tone. Btw I use POD farm at home for practice and what not.. would the same rules apply ei with the dual/triple noise gate? or is that more with analog?

Everything in this guide can be translated to any analog or digital equivalent. :)

porksisig

Reaction score
pardon my necrobump, just a quick question. the part about the distortion pedal, usually when i play gigs i'm not allowed to bring amps (or atleast i can't because of the space) so i'm stuck with random solid state amps, so heeding your advice i used a distortion pedal (its actually an ms50g) now the question is, about its chain, do i still need to add an overdrive before the distortion or is it too much?