H.L. Mencken was right, sadly enough.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

:noplease:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
bush is only one of many morons who have "served" our nation. There always were Hoovers, Pierces, & Bushes, there will always idiots just like them.

And they will win elections, because our populace cares more about looking moral than actually being moral.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
bush is only one of many morons who have "served" our nation. There always were Hoovers, Pierces, & Bushes, there will always idiots just like them.

And they will win elections, because our populace cares more about looking moral than actually being moral.

:agreed:

Goddamn it Vince. You rarely post on here but when you do you kick more ass than a carload of ninjas. :ninja:

You sir are a magnificent bastard indeed. :wub:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

Ooh, can I play, too? Woodrow Wilson! James Buchanan!

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
you want to hear something really fucked up?

Barbara Bush's maiden name is Pierce.

Guess who our president is related to? :idea:

...and we keep electing these same fuckers over and over. :wallbash:

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Thomas Jefferson's quotes such as

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.”

Carl Sagan quoted Jefferson essentially predicting exactly the situation American democracy is in today. Wish I could find it again....

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
...and we keep electing these same fuckers over and over. :wallbash:
All I can say is:
  • Vote!
  • Don't waste your vote on "The lesser of two evils". 99.99% of the time your vote won't make a difference if your lesser evil is elected or not and every vote for a 3rd Party candidate helps them directly and all 3rd Parties indirectly.
  • Don't be silent when "nonpartisan" is treated to mean "bipartisan" and the Republicrats try to silence/ignore the other parties.
  • Complain to the media when they do the same.
  • Educate yourself about the issues and don't let others hide in their ignorance or fall prey to the rhetoric and lose site of the issues.

Ray