Hand stress ...?

• Thread starter Black_Sheep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
Im still new to 7-string guitars. I got my first one (Ibanez RG1527) few months ago, but haven't had the chance to properly practise. Until now.

After a few hours of active practising and playing, my pinky finger started to feel really stressed and worn out, and playing became uncomfortable. Also, my left hand gets tired more often than before... but that i can understand.

So, any tips for "not breaking your hands while practising" ? ...Any warm-up tips or something similiar is greatly apreciated. Thanks in advantage..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
sounds like you might be "cocking" your fretting hands wrist a little too much due to the extra width in the neck.. i would recommend trying to keep your fretting fingers as arched as possible and play the tips of your fingers. also, try to keep your wrist as straight as possible when playing too..

but most importantly... relax.... your number one goal when practicing shouldnt be playing fast or clean, it should be trying see how relaxed you can play everything...

relaxation is the key to comfort and comfort is the key control on the guitar... i hope this helps

beneharris

Reaction score
one thing a lot of people either forget, or don't believe is a good idea, is your cool down. if your going to do an intense practice to build up the muscles in your hands, you need to cool them off too. most people here wouldn't ever think of practicing before warming the hands up, its the same with cooling them off.
in the long run you can get a lot further in your muscle building if you do that. it will also decrease your chances of hurting them, too.
you notice runners always cool off, they don't just sit down when they are done.

emperor_black

Reaction score
bend each finger and finally the entire palm backwards at the wrist until you feel its stretched over as much as possible before and after playing. That should definitely help.

Ckackley

Reaction score
Something else- Have you tried other neck profiles ? I was in love with my 1527 , but after a while playing it my frret hand would ache. I tried a Schecter on a whim and the thicker neck was perfect. No more hand pain.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
This part strikes me as the most significant "but haven't had the chance to properly practise. Until now.

After a few hours of active practising and playing, my pinky finger started to feel really stressed and worn out, and playing became uncomfortable"

And no one has really commented on it yet.
I believe it may be partly related to this, and perhaps even entirely (can't be sure, since I don't watch you play).
You have to build up to that finger endurance level again. It just really isn't a good idea in general to barely play for ages, and then suddenly start playing many hours a day.
It's kinda like if you were a runner that hasn't done it in years, and then suddenly wants to do it again. Try and run 20Km straight away and you're just gonna end up killing yourself.

I'd suggest playing for perhaps only an hour a day for perhaps 2 weeks, and each week, add an extra 15-20 minutes per day

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
I agree with most of you. Thanks for your advice!

I don't have this "pain" i mentioned anymore, probably it was just caused by the fact that i didn't have a chance to properly practise in the last few weeks. And the new, wider, neck.