NAD Mesa party

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Just did a straight trade for my roadster for a Mark V. I used to have a V and always regretted selling it. The roadster is an epic and amazing amp, but my 5153 gets me “that sound” faster and easier in a more convenient package. I would totally own another one

Only spent a little bit of time with the V so far but just a smile on my face the whole time. This is a very different amp than the mark IV, which is a good thing imo. I like having both :D

15aae2be-441b-4af3-a254-503ddea8fe58-jpeg.23109

042d7d43-f6aa-4bc9-b7c9-cabd6c5d6426-jpeg.23110

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
This is a very different amp than the mark IV
I've always been curious if the big V and the V:25 are basically the same, just with a bigger power amp. I've never actually tried a full-sized V to compare. Assuming they're mostly the same, don't sleep on the crunch mode. Crunch channel on the 25 is fantastic.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I've always been curious if the big V and the V:25 are basically the same, just with a bigger power amp. I've never actually tried a full-sized V to compare. Assuming they're mostly the same, don't sleep on the crunch mode. Crunch channel on the 25 is fantastic.

Those are two channels right? I think it’s “greatest hits” of the 90 watt versions modes. I used to not like Mesa el84 power sections but I’ve come around on that a little. I’ve hears the smaller watt versions absolutely rip my face off live

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Yeah, the 25 is clean / fat / crunch on one channel and 2c+ / IV / Xtreme on the other. As many have expressed before me, it would be great to have clean and crunch on separate channels.

Yeah crunch mode is fuckin awesome. They did the same thing with the express 5:50+ putting clean and crunch on the same channel which were the best two modes

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Congrats! I went through a similar story of owning/selling a Mark V and landing on another one years later. I learned my lesson and this one isn't going anywhere :yesway:

I owned both versions for a while and as far as I could tell, the modes shared between the two amps were basically identical other than the power sections and the mid pot on the 25w green channel going into "boost" territory after the halfway point. They could be dialed in to sound quite close to one another, although the settings would "look" different and the 90w always had some extra depth and punch. Crunch mode is killer on both versions :metal:

Bordcla

Reaction score
Congrats! I went through a similar story of owning/selling a Mark V and landing on another one years later. I learned my lesson and this one isn't going anywhere :yesway:

I owned both versions for a while and as far as I could tell, the modes shared between the two amps were basically identical other than the power sections and the mid pot on the 25w green channel going into "boost" territory after the halfway point. They could be dialed in to sound quite close to one another, although the settings would "look" different and the 90w always had some extra depth and punch. Crunch mode is killer on both versions :metal:
Isn’t the “boost” achieved when cranking the mids on the 25 water necessary to achieve that nasty crunch (which is like a tighter version of the iic+ sound)?

verge

Reaction score
Those are two channels right? I think it’s “greatest hits” of the 90 watt versions modes. I used to not like Mesa el84 power sections but I’ve come around on that a little. I’ve hears the smaller watt versions absolutely rip my face off live
Can confirm - my Mesa Studio Series (EL84) gets pretty freaking insane with the volume turned up halfway or so.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I made that same trade on my last Mark V - traded a Roadster for it. TBH, I kinda missed the Roadster, but once prices rose on the Marks and didn't on the Roadster, I wasn't complaining. Love the Mark V - Crunch still continues to be my favorite mode, it's a shame they put it on the same channel as the Clean settings on the small amps.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s the best generation of the Mark V in my opinion. I think it has something to do with the either the input or output transformer. Can’t recall which one. Awesome find.

Although it would be such a hard choice for me to make between the Roadster and that gen of the Mark V. Both are excellent! It’s like pie and cake and eat it too… lol

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I really liked the V but ended up selling it for the JP2C. Only thing I really miss on the V is mark I mode. That was a fluid sweet lead sound but needed the bass knob OFF and presence high. Thinking of getting a LoneStar to scratch that itch.

Mark I mode is awesome, it's a shame it always got such bad rap. It's not like the manual emphasizes 1000 times that the amp needs to be dialed in different for that mode or anything..... lol

I made that same trade on my last Mark V - traded a Roadster for it. TBH, I kinda missed the Roadster, but once prices rose on the Marks and didn't on the Roadster, I wasn't complaining. Love the Mark V - Crunch still continues to be my favorite mode, it's a shame they put it on the same channel as the Clean settings on the small amps.

Yeah, I was almost starting to have second thoughts after I heard the dude playing the roadster through his mesa 2x12, but as soon as I was home with my gear and the V no regrets. And the market value difference was definitely the kicker to the deal

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
That’s the best generation of the Mark V in my opinion. I think it has something to do with the either the input or output transformer. Can’t recall which one. Awesome find.

Although it would be such a hard choice for me to make between the Roadster and that gen of the Mark V. Both are excellent! It’s like pie and cake and eat it too… lol

Yeah, I really don't have a bad thing to say about the roadster. It's an awesome amp and I'd own another in a heartbeat. I'm sure I seem very fickle, i was just raving about "rediscovering" my roadster just a few weeks ago lol

Latest posts