Has anyone ordered a Wirebird Tele?

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
I'm looking to order a Wirebird in the next month or so, but I'm wondering if there's any first hand experience out there that would help me with the order. I want a basic spec'd Contour IV with just the top finished so if there's anything weird I should know about ordering one it'd be great to hear that before putting money down. I've reached out to Sam and am waiting to hear back re/the current wait time and pricing

Cheers guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'd also like to know. I've heard mixed things. A mix of polarized things rather. Eh, they're in London, I should just stop by at some point and try them out.

GXPO

Reaction score
I know that the member here "Musza" has owned at least one. It might be worth reaching out to him.

They look good from what I can see but that doesn't always mean much. I think perhaps Narad should do us all a favour and whip out his Oyster card :p

narad

Reaction score
They look good from what I can see but that doesn't always mean much. I think perhaps Narad should do us all a favour and whip out his Oyster card :p

Alright, alright, I shot them an email so we'll see if they're up for visits. I'm a bit busy in the next few weeks so I can't give an immediate assessment either way, probably not on OP's timetable anyway.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
^^ yeah I'm not looking to put an order in immediately and mostly I'm wondering if he's still taking orders in the first place. Especially with all the luthier weirdness going on lately.. don't want to end up in a bad place for over a year here

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
my other option would be going through warmoth and i was gonna look around here and see if anyone's gone that route for a chambered tele with a hipshot.

the ashtray bridge is a super cool concept though! the normal ones are comfy enough so i figured it wouldn't be too much an issue with a bigger baseplate surrounding the pickup

narad

Reaction score
Could you elaborate please?

Please don't ask. I don't want to hear the follow-up drivel.

I will warn, when I checked a couple years ago these were definitely priced high. The deposit would presumably be enough for a couple similar warmoths.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
update: got a message back from Sam and it looks like he can take my order. I'm talking to Dez about them and all that's doing is solidifying the fact that I want one so not sure how helpful that is..

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Try palm muting on one sometime.

Agree with this. Extremely, extremely uncomfortable, IMO. Not to mention that trying to pick next to the bridge is awkward as .....

I don't see the advantage of an ashtray bridge over a modern Tele bridge. :shrug:

downburst82

Reaction score
The ashtray bridge on wirebirds is totally custom and much lower profile than normal ones.

from the website
I have always loved the look of leo’s original designs with all the plates and covers, but all the aftermarket bridges didn’t look as cool as the original. So I designed a bridge that fitted a full sized humbucker and also could be covered. The Wirebird bridge design is a low profile ‘ashtray’ style bridge, the edges of which have been rounded for superior comfort. It is made from a single piece of the most resonant steel, which gives the guitars a unique voice.

tallikaz

Reaction score
I love the Wirebird Teles. Even if they look like regular teles, they have something special that make them quite cool. And they have to be pretty comfy too...

pylyo

Reaction score
Same here, I never had any problems with palm muting on these bridges at all... but that's me.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Ashtray tele bridges suck.

Is not a helpful statement.

HeHasTheJazzHands said:
Agree with this. Extremely, extremely uncomfortable, IMO. Not to mention that trying to pick next to the bridge is awkward as .....

Is an opinion stated with the understanding that it is the authors own personal preference.

This is much more helpful, because lets face it one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I love stratocasters with block bolt on neck joints, vintage trems with all of their quirks and medium output passives. I can think of a bunch of people on this forum who will don't like one or more of those things, but don't go bombing someones post with 'that s***'s gay man'.

If I could humbly suggest a statement like: "I'm not personally a fan of Y or Y, but Z is cool" Is perhaps a little more progressive and positive.

Anyway back OT:
Those are some HELLA expensive Teles, not that they are not nice. OP please post a review when you get it. I's love to get some inspiration for a parts Tele in the future.

What are your specs?

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I was going to give the incredibly helpful guy stick, but you're all so much better at it.. :lol:

Thanks man :lol:

I'm a TA and have to edit a lot of publications and give feedback, I guess I love my work too much. Sorry I stole your thunder.

I was kinda hoping someone would get the Rush reference though ;)

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
specs im doin are as follows:

swamp ash body
maple neck
flame maple board
seafoam green top (natural back)
white binding

I'm undecided on pickups and a terrible experience with ordering BKP's through TAP has made me weary to want to get another set of those, but Sam offers that upcharge for $120 so it might be a good idea.

I dig P90's, but definitely want a humbucker in the bridge position so you guys should pick the set for me