Has streaming ruined "the album"?

• Thread starter Crungy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
My take on where we are? Nobody gives a flying fuck. Not just about albums, but art in general. Granted, nobody really gives a fuck about much of anything, so that tracks. I know out of the small audience in terms of music and literature I've put out, I get a lot of requests for "shorter, quicker" songs and books. People want instant fulfillment, and want nothing to do with investing time into appreciating something that should be fun. Because fun has no monetary value, and we as a society have decided that monetary value is literally the ONLY thing with any value at all.

/ old man rant

My take for me personally? I'll always buy albums, and I'll always listen to whole albums. I'll always buy whole books, and read whole books. I recognize that this does not, in fact, mark me as a rebel. What it marks me as is old and irrelevant. Like I needed more reminders of that.

As for the root causes? I'd point back to that money is the only thing of value thing, and look at how technology and the information age hit us with wonder and hope and then dashed that hope on the shores of corporate greed and hopes of control. Please, PLEASE, masters, let me pay you each and every month to force-feed me whatever garbage the algorithm decides (with corporate thumbs on the scale) instead of letting me purchase a work of art I genuinely appreciate so I can listen to, read, or view it in perpetuity. PLEASE!

Pfffft.