Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Avenged Sevenfold: A7X ENTERS STUDIO WITH MIKE PORTNOY | Facebook

I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that’s what Jim would have wanted. Its comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities. Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are fucking excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy.
-Avenged Sevenfold

That's really nice on Mr. Portnoys part :yesway: I'm sure it will be a great record.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
My favourite drummer, it's nice to know he's a legitimately nice dude and doesn't Malmsteen it up. Having lost his father recently, it's good to see him spreading good vibes knowing full well how bad it can feel to lose someone.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
My favourite drummer, it's nice to know he's a legitimately nice dude and doesn't Malmsteen it up. Having lost his father recently, it's good to see him spreading good vibes knowing full well how bad it can feel to lose someone.
:agreed:

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Mike Portnoy is an all class standup guy, talented drummer, and legendary musician. What happened to Jim is tragic and it's good to see that the people he looked up to are willing to devote a bit of their creative selves in his memory.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Mike Portnoy is an all class standup guy, talented drummer, and legendary musician. What happened to Jim is tragic and it's good to see that the people he looked up to are willing to devote a bit of their creative selves in his memory.
He really is. Not many musicians would do this for there fans in the business.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is really cool of Mike, and musically quite a good fit... The Rev was very Portnoy-ish in his playing, especially on later records. I think both camps will have a good time recording this.

For me it seems like the hardest part will be to replace the Rev as a songwriter though. Some of the weirdest ideas and arrangements came right from him. I think he did a lot to make A7X into less of a generic -core band and more what they sounded like on the last 2 records.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
This is really cool of Mike, and musically quite a good fit... The Rev was very Portnoy-ish in his playing, especially on later records. I think both camps will have a good time recording this.

For me it seems like the hardest part will be to replace the Rev as a songwriter though. Some of the weirdest ideas and arrangements came right from him. I think he did a lot to make A7X into less of a generic -core band and more what they sounded like on the last 2 records.

Excellent post, I was going to say something similar but you nailed it on the head. :yesway: I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with as they are similar in terms of playing so we'll see what he throws down, big fan of both the Rev and Mike P. so it should be cool seeing Mike fill his shoes for the record. :agreed:

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm glad that they got a worthy drummer to fill the space on this recording, and Mike is definitely the man for that. I'm wondering if Mike will be contributing any writing ideas or backing vocals, although I'm thinking it's not likely.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That's really cool, and nice to hear about :)

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Some good news for them, hopefully they'll bounce back. I'm looking forward to this :yesway:

willyman101

Reaction score
That's awesome, love to hear about this kind of stuff. It's amazing of Mike to do it. Jimmy's death was tragic and it's cool to know that big names in the metal world are paying their respects in various ways.

Nats

Reaction score
I feel so bad for mike portnoy. I wonder what that conversation went like.

"Hey our drummer just kicked the bucket, and his dying wish was to drum with you. Wanna play on our album?"

"...well, when you put it that way..."

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Total class act and genuinely cool guy. That's awesome of him! Great, great news! Mike rocks...

Latest posts