Helix 3.70 out now

• Thread starter complex-barb.0t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Idk why but I've never done well with the boomer amps on the Helix. Marshalls and Fenders I mean. Maybe it's my guitars? Maybe I need something like a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Stratocaster with vintage pickups to get a good sound of that type?

Anyway I've found a bunch of plugins that I like better than the Helix. But I hate playing through an interface and usually I combine the plugins with Helix Native for stuff like EQs and compressors. Still wish I could upgrade to something that I like more than the Helix but whatever... I think I've gotten a lot better at combining different virtual microphones and speaker captures, and I'm a lot braver with the EQ than I used to be. So it'll do for now ..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Idk why but I've never done well with the boomer amps on the Helix. Marshalls and Fenders I mean. Maybe it's my guitars? Maybe I need something like a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Stratocaster with vintage pickups to get a good sound of that type?

Anyway I've found a bunch of plugins that I like better than the Helix. But I hate playing through an interface and usually I combine the plugins with Helix Native for stuff like EQs and compressors. Still wish I could upgrade to something that I like more than the Helix but whatever... I think I've gotten a lot better at combining different virtual microphones and speaker captures, and I'm a lot braver with the EQ than I used to be. So it'll do for now ..
It can surely be the guitars
Some hi-gain tones that are actually good with my PRS with stock pick-ups, sounds ugly with a Jackson with D-Activators
And it's strange because the less metal guitar sounds better
I came to conclusion to get presets tailored for each of my guitar, but it's time consuming that I never do it

I would love to use my HX Edit without plugging the Helix, so I could do some preliminary (and more tedious) work like copying, renaming and so on while at work...but unfortunately it can't be done, and it's not enough to justify the purchase of Helix Native, even because my boiler laptop can barely keep up Cubase 5

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I feel like there's also this misconception that you NEED to dime the master volume. No. Don't do that lol. That only works on the Hiwatt and some Fender types (or the Orange and Sunn if you feel like going max 0))) ) Keep the master at a "reasonable" 6 - 8.

Shask

Reaction score
It can surely be the guitars
Some hi-gain tones that are actually good with my PRS with stock pick-ups, sounds ugly with a Jackson with D-Activators
And it's strange because the less metal guitar sounds better
I came to conclusion to get presets tailored for each of my guitar, but it's time consuming that I never do it

I would love to use my HX Edit without plugging the Helix, so I could do some preliminary (and more tedious) work like copying, renaming and so on while at work...but unfortunately it can't be done, and it's not enough to justify the purchase of Helix Native, even because my boiler laptop can barely keep up Cubase 5
I have something like 16 guitars, and one of my biggest frustrations with my Fractal stuff is how when I make presets, they never sound good with other guitars. My real amps dont react that strongly to differences.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have something like 16 guitars, and one of my biggest frustrations with my Fractal stuff is how when I make presets, they never sound good with other guitars. My real amps dont react that strongly to differences.
and the flip side of this is i can run my les paul or my strat into any of my presets and the overall tone remains, therefore I never worry about which guitar I'm using, only the preset tone (AC30 vs dimed plexi vs doomy SVT etc). Yes there's clearly an output difference between a strat and les paul, but as stated the "tone/character" is there.

YMMV (and will) :yesway:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I don’t know, I started buying copies of my stage guitars back when I was playing amps because any change in pickups/setups was immediately noticeable to me.

Shask

Reaction score
I don’t know, I started buying copies of my stage guitars back when I was playing amps because any change in pickups/setups was immediately noticeable to me.
The change is noticeable, but easier to deal with. You can just turn down the bass a notch, or turn the tone on the OD boost up a notch, etc....

It seems like it takes more drastic measures on my digital stuff to compensate for the differences. I even have a block library of different input filter blocks that compensate for different guitars.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
and the flip side of this is i can run my les paul or my strat into any of my presets and the overall tone remains, therefore I never worry about which guitar I'm using, only the preset tone (AC30 vs dimed plexi vs doomy SVT etc). Yes there's clearly an output difference between a strat and les paul, but as stated the "tone/character" is there.

YMMV (and will) :yesway:
I really want my Les Paul to sound completely different from my Strat, especially when using the same amp/fx settings
For me it's paramount
The problem rears its head when you dial in an aggressive tone on a tame guitar, then use it on wild guitar with hot pickups, and the tone gets messy and fuzzy

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I really want my Les Paul to sound completely different from my Strat, especially when using the same amp/fx settings
For me it's paramount
The problem rears its head when you dial in an aggressive tone on a tame guitar, then use it on wild guitar with hot pickups, and the tone gets messy and fuzzy
I mean my les paul sounds like a les paul and my strat sounds like a strat. But if i play both through my ac30 preset, it sounds like each through an ac30. I dont change the amp to suit the guitar.

Shask

Reaction score
For me it's paramount
Yeah, it is a good problem to have. I just think it forces you to be more organized in how you create presets.

Reaction score
Since we're bumping this thread for no reason (no updates) I might as well do it too.

After fumbling around and tweaking things I have found THE sound I'm completely happy with. I think I mentioned this a few posts back but I've been recording new stuff and I've been putting the tone through its paces. I can officially say it passes all mix tests. Depending on what I'm trying to do I can scale it back a bit and get some glorious rock tones or go full tilt and get the perfect metal tone. It handles the EQ cuts of mixing, sits well, doesn't compete for space, is defined, and does everything I need it to do.

I can honestly say I don't need to search anymore. The quest is over. I've managed a tone that's amazing both for playing alone, or in a mix.

And because I hate when people say shit like this and leave no sound clip, I got one. You ain't gotta like it...but I sure as fuck do so I win.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Since we're bumping this thread for no reason (no updates) I might as well do it too.

After fumbling around and tweaking things I have found THE sound I'm completely happy with. I think I mentioned this a few posts back but I've been recording new stuff and I've been putting the tone through its paces. I can officially say it passes all mix tests. Depending on what I'm trying to do I can scale it back a bit and get some glorious rock tones or go full tilt and get the perfect metal tone. It handles the EQ cuts of mixing, sits well, doesn't compete for space, is defined, and does everything I need it to do.

I can honestly say I don't need to search anymore. The quest is over. I've managed a tone that's amazing both for playing alone, or in a mix.

And because I hate when people say shit like this and leave no sound clip, I got one. You ain't gotta like it...but I sure as fuck do so I win.

What's the amp setup in this clip? Sounds brutal