Hello from South Australia

• Thread starter jackfiltraition
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Hello fellow seven stringers and musos!

My name is Jack and I'm from Adelaide, South Australia. 21 years old. I've lurked ss.org for years. I have been playing guitar for about 9 years and purchased my first 7 string in 2009 (late to the game, i know) but I've always been interested in extended range guitars, low tunings and 7 string bands since i started playing.

I play in a melodic metal band called INFILTRAITOR :hbang:Infiltraitor | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
We are influenced by more euro metal and melodic death (we love the big euro sound so much, we have have had both of our EP's mixed by Jonas Kjellgren of Scar Sym and ex Carnal Forge) My co-guitarist and i both use Agile Interceptor Pro 725's :shred: loaded with EMG 707's and big ol' midi rigs based around an ENGL Steve Morse and a Peavey 5150.

I am a total gear nerd and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and having some fun gear nerd out's on this forum :wavey:

Cheers Guys

Jack

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Greetings from ATL, GA, US!!!

I have a nephew & wife in Mooloolaba, QLD over in the Sunshine Coast.

natspotats

Reaction score
i have a question for you australia residents. is living in australia relativly expensive or do most people get by pretty easy there?

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

As for the question above, having only ever have lived in Australia i have nothing to compare with but without getting to political, i guess we do ok lol. The average working class family seem to make ends meet for the most part and a young single person can live pretty comfortably on a pretty average wage but like everywhere, it differs greatly from person to person (a bit harder for die hard gear nerds lie myself haha)
It's a difficult question to answer but i hope that helps somewhat :)

natspotats

Reaction score
well it just always seems like people in australia are way more laid back and chill about things rather than people in the states. and it was always a place that interested me

Tomo009

Reaction score
i have a question for you australia residents. is living in australia relativly expensive or do most people get by pretty easy there?

To answer your question, cost of living in Australia is actually pretty ridiculous.

If the internet is to be trusted, the average US income is roughly $50Kish and the average Aus income is roughly $66Kish. Many essential items such as food cost often 2.5x the US price or more, property cost is pretty ridiculous and taxes can be more as well apparently (though US taxes vary widely from state to state?). Healthcare is good here though.

Petrol, yeah I'm not sure of exact numbers but I'm pretty sure it's WAY more here. Entertainment, already imported goods cost ridiculous amounts. The only place I found here that sold an RG2228 wanted $4800 for it, I imported myself for $1500.

Easy enough to make a comfortable living but all in all, we are pretty isolated even in this time and stuff costs a lot.

EDIT: Also, welcome Jack. :lol:

EDIT2: Oh yeah, internet. It costs a HEAP and it is flakey as hell and slow as hell, I get 150Kb download like 10-20 Kb upload, it also goes down a lot.

Stealth7

Reaction score
To answer your question, cost of living in Australia is actually pretty ridiculous.

If the internet is to be trusted, the average US income is roughly $50Kish and the average Aus income is roughly $66Kish. Many essential items such as food cost often 2.5x the US price or more, property cost is pretty ridiculous and taxes can be more as well apparently (though US taxes vary widely from state to state?). Healthcare is good here though.

Petrol, yeah I'm not sure of exact numbers but I'm pretty sure it's WAY more here. Entertainment, already imported goods cost ridiculous amounts. The only place I found here that sold an RG2228 wanted $4800 for it, I imported myself for $1500.

Easy enough to make a comfortable living but all in all, we are pretty isolated even in this time and stuff costs a lot.

EDIT: Also, welcome Jack. :lol:

EDIT2: Oh yeah, internet. It costs a HEAP and it is flakey as hell and slow as hell, I get 150Kb download like 10-20 Kb upload, it also goes down a lot.

Yeah pretty much what tomo said! Even though our dollar is fetching a little over $1.00(USD) ATM, retailers are putting up their prices as if our dollar was $0.60(USD)! :lol: With internet it depends who your provider is, If you're with Telstra/Optus etc. it's going to be shit. :lol: I'm with TPG and I'm on a pretty reasonable contract and I never have any problems with it.

To stay on topic... welcome Jack from Shitney! :wavey:

Tomo009

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much what tomo said! Even though our dollar is fetching a little over $1.00(USD) ATM, retailers are putting up their prices as if our dollar was $0.60(USD)! :lol: With internet it depends who your provider is, If you're with Telstra/Optus etc. it's going to be shit. :lol: I'm with TPG and I'm on a pretty reasonable contract and I never have any problems with it.

To stay on topic... welcome Jack from Shitney! :wavey:

I'm on TPG haha. Net is just pretty terrible Australia wide, I imagine Sydney is slightly better than Melb?

Stealth7

Reaction score
I'm on TPG haha. Net is just pretty terrible Australia wide, I imagine Sydney is slightly better than Melb?

And with the Government installing the NBN all over the country it's just going to get worse! :lol: Maybe it is better here, But I wouldn't know for sure.

Master D

Reaction score
welcome fellow aussie...I am from qld look forward to nerding out with you on here..cheers

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Welcome, sir. What do you listen to, specifically?

Thank you kind sir:lol:
I have a very eclectic taste in music. I am a Heavy Devy loyal lol but I love everything from cheesy pop to very confronting metal and hardcore and everything in between.
Specifically, I will always be a metal head :hbang:at heart. I love anything based around melodic death metal and prog metal and tend to gravitate towards the euro bands IE In Flames, At the Gates, Meshuggah, Scar Symmetry etc. but as i said, I enjoy anything that I feel to be real. I've found my emotions to be to dynamic to please with only one style of music :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :wavey:

Latest posts