[Help] Is it okay to have a fret end like this on a new guitar?

Blackspell-666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
eb7b1b35-5873-43b7-bf34-cf65a5b5c276-jpeg.92593

6ba0d11e-fdf6-4dac-8021-bc64913070b9-jpeg.92595

I just bought my first 7 string as my first mid-level price guitar. (Ibanez rgd71alms) The overall quality of the guitar is excellent but it has one problems. I noticed that some of the frets end has this weird brownish looking. I search online and have not found any guitar that has the same problem.

My guess is they are "wood fillers". It just doesn't effect any playability at all. The frets end were not sharp and seems like it leveled perfectly. But this brownish thing on the frets end kinda bother me so much. I just want to know is this normal? And is there anyway to fixed them?

Attachments

• 6BA0D11E-FDF6-4DAC-8021-BC64913070B9.jpeg
    6BA0D11E-FDF6-4DAC-8021-BC64913070B9.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 268

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why does that bother you? I personally would be ecstatic to receive a mid tier guitar that only had that problem, but if it bothers you that much... Send it back i guess? Just know that it's a risk to send one back if you plan on exchanging for another, as ibanez guitars are pretty hit or miss in that range. I've had so many guitars come with much bigger issues than that at this point that I'd have zero problems with this

mastapimp

Reaction score
Looks like lacquer that crept up onto the fret during the finishing process. You can scrap this off with your fingernail. It's very common on fenders with maple boards.

mr coffee

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why does that bother you? I personally would be ecstatic to receive a mid tier guitar that only had that problem, but if it bothers you that much... Send it back i guess? Just know that it's a risk to send one back if you plan on exchanging for another, as ibanez guitars are pretty hit or miss in that range. I've had so many guitars come with much bigger issues than that at this point that I'd have zero problems with this

This. I've sworn off of mid level Ibanez, too many wonky necks and outright terrible fret jobs. Once upon a time they were known for affordable quality guitars; my first lesson in how things had changed was an RG5EX1 which had a neck that wouldn't go into acceptable relief without twisting. The last one was an Iron Label that had frets popping out. If you got a good one, hold on to it.

-m

Blackspell-666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That looks kinda bother me when i first noticed them, some people suggest me filing it down or use metal polishing on it but i'll just leave it like that. After playing for a couple weeks, more & more i appreciate that this guitar is pretty solid. It holds tuning for a few days, doesn't has any fret buzz and feels great on my hand. The Fishman Fluence on them sounds amazing, also the finishing is pretty nice.

trem licking

Reaction score
That looks kinda bother me when i first noticed them, some people suggest me filing it down or use metal polishing on it but i'll just leave it like that. After playing for a couple weeks, more & more i appreciate that this guitar is pretty solid. It holds tuning for a few days, doesn't has any fret buzz and feels great on my hand. The Fishman Fluence on them sounds amazing, also the finishing is pretty nice.
yeah dude, just keep it and be happy

elkoki

Reaction score
Serious question, can you clean it off? Paper towel or using your nail? Doesn't seem like a big deal

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
You could try a VERY fine sand paper....like a 2000 grit. It would remove the stain and actually make the fret end even smoother. No harm to the wood etc.