Help me buy my first rig! NEED ADVICE

Daniel Howard

Reaction score
So I recently formed a progressive metal/djent/tech metal band with some guys online and it's crunch time (pun intended) for me to buy a decent rig so we can shape our sound more

I've been playing for a while now but I've never really focused on my tone so I mainly use guitar rig 5 or sometimes my old cube 30x, but after doing my research I have NO IDEA what to invest in with so many options!

I've considered an EVH 5150 iii but I wouldn't have any money left over to get a matching 212 and I've read in places they're a bit too sparkly for the djenty/proggy tone you want. Then I got pretty sold on getting a Bugera 333XL infinium too because they're really cheap and apparently sound nice, but I've heard they break religiously and some like a bad peavy

So basically I have no idea what to get and I'd love some solid advice of what you guys would do! my budget is £900 (can go no higher) for a head, cab and ideally a tube screamer to go on top

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
:welcome:

Do you only want to go with a tube amp? What about solid state and/or an amp modeler? Also, where do you guys plan on practicing and playing?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
:welcome:

Do you only want to go with a tube amp? What about solid state and/or an amp modeler? Also, where do you guys plan on practicing and playing?

It's an online band. Presumably they don't practice together.

Right?

Do online bands do skype practice or something?

Anyhow, I don't see how anyone can advise you on what kind of amp to get without knowing what kind of tone you want. IMO you could probably get some cool prog and djent sounds out of the cube you already have.

Or get that Misha Mansoor Periphery pedal. That thing seems pretty sweet. Seems like you could put it on any amp at all. I don't even play prog or djent at all and even I want one.

Last edited:

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Need more info.

If this is an online band I would go the modeling route. The AX8 is killer and you don't really need a cab with a PC. Records better than most amp sims by a long shot IMO as well.

Regarding amps, need a budget.

Will also add Bugera had issues many years ago. That seems to have been resolved from what I can see. They are owned by a MAJOR corporation who also owns Berhinger, TC Electronic and many others.

For a tube amp on an extreme budget there is nothing wrong with a Bugera (or a Jet City Amelia :p)

NickS

Reaction score
I was basically asking of they are online only at this point. If so that would probably greatly change what best suits his needs....

I would say a modeler is the best thing to look at for an online band type setup.

Daniel Howard

Reaction score
Yeah sorry for the confusion, we MET online but we meet up twice a week to practice!

Yeah I'm very set on a tube amp, I'm kind of sick of solid state/modelers now

we play in a medium sized practice room and the rest of the guys have 4x12 cabs so the cube 30 I (sadly) use now is basically pointless. which is why I want a 50/100/120 watt tube head with a 2x12 - budget of around £900

does this help? :p

-OP

NickS

Reaction score
Definitely helps clear up what you want/need. A 50 watt head with a 2X12 cab should be more than enough to keep up, as long as everyone uses reasonable volume levels....

Bearitone

Reaction score
I would get an AMT R2 preamp ($150 Used), a Mosvalve 942 poweramp ($250 Used), and a used 412 cab of any kind with decent speakers ($400 if you look hard enough). You should be able to get all of that and still grab a used tubescreamer.

Latest posts