Help me identify a PRS

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
OK, so I've got a potential pawn shop find, but no idea what it is and I am thinking of getting it tomorrow if it is literally as cheap as I think it is, anyway, can anyone tell me what this might be from a description?

- PRS
- Crescent moon inlays
- Rosewood fretboard (i think)
- headstock is raw maple
- PRS signature on front of headstock
- 22 frets
- bolt on neck (from what I can see)
- nickle (or metal, silver shiny things) covered pickups
- black finish on body

It's NOT an SE, so it's a real one, but not sure what it is, and whether it is worth getting, can anyone help?

Guitar looks like a cross between the one on the left and middle (ier, black body finish, but with the neck of the one on far left)

prs_ce22_ce24.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Sounds like a ce22. You might luck out and it could be an alder body. These aren't 'rare' but aren't as common so usually are a bit more expensive.

How much is it? CE prs are great value as they don't command custom money but have their own voice if you are into bolt on tone
If you can in the serial number on the neck plate you could find out what year it was

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Dibs if you buy and decide its not for you.

Seriously though I'd buy it at double that price.

Hope there's a NGD by the weekend

blanco

Reaction score
I would be careful i've seen a fair few SE that have had their headstock sanded back and then a signature applied to try and fool people into believing they are a CE.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
SE's are all set necked, not bolt on, unless I'm very much mistaken. CEs should have the ID number on the neckplate, either 7 xxxx, 7 xxxxx or CE xxxxx.

CEs should have the proper dots (crescent moon, shell), SEs do not. Also CEs have a fully carved body (identical to USA Custom, violin/compound top), SEs do not.

And damn that's cheap. Jealous!

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
If you make sure that it's the full PRS carve on the top you're good.

Some SEs have simple carved tops, none have the USA version.

Sounds like the shop has mistaken a CE for an SE.

blanco

Reaction score
I just remembered hunting for this a while back when i was trying to date mine that i've got saved.

"CLASSIC ELECTRIC (CE BOLT-ON): 1988 - Current. 24-fret maple neck, unfaced headstock, dot inlays, alder body, PRS Vintage pickups, tone control, and 3-way toggle selector. Rosewood fretboard, wide-thin neck options by ’89. Black headstock face and 5-way rotary switch by mid-’89. HFS Treble/Vintage Bass finalized by ’91. Maple top version- the CE Bolt-on Maple Top- added in ’89. Mahogany body/ back from ’95 as well as stop-tail option. Solid Mahogany body discontinued in 2000, stop tailpiece & regular neck profile discontinued in 2001. Offered as wide thin, tremolo only from 2001.

CLASSIC ELECTRIC 22: 1994 - Current. 22-fret versions of CE Bolt-on and CE Bolt-on Maple-Top. Mahogany body/ back from ’95 as well as stop-tail option. Solid Mahogany body discontinued in 2000, stop tailpiece & wide thin neck profile discontinued in 2001. Offered as wide fat, tremolo only from 2001."

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
I am excited for you mate, I would phone them up to keep it aside!