help: most thick and aggresive tube amp at bedroom volume

• Thread starter chopeth85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopeth85

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I´m looking the best tube amp for thick, aggresive and tight low mid sound for bedroom volume. I have had a tons of amps ( diezel herbert, einstein, evh, jvm, triamp 1/2, powerball I/II, Randall Satan...) and i know theres ANYTHING you can do with an overdrive and a good preamp distortion.

i ´dont like digital emulations ( I had a kemper and i did´t like it )

Nowadays i have an Engl Savage SE and a The Valve 3100 ( the most aggresive amp i ve ever had, even more than a Randall Satan but with a exceptional warm and organic sound ) and i look for antother amp that fits my low mids desire...

i ve been thinking in a Koch Supernova or a Diezel Vh4 but im open to suggestions. I have played the Koch and it´s insane but i´ts really hard to find and the VH4 i havent tested...

could yoy help me ? I wish I could afford a Wizard MTL but i haven´t sooooo much money haha.

thanks !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rokket2005

Reaction score
As someone who owns a VH4, if a Herbert didn't do it for you a VH4 won't either. The Vh4 is not really a modern sounding amp compared to a lot of newer amps on the market. I'd seriously suggest grabbing a KSR Ceres and running it in the fx return of whatever other amp you have. I have 2 rectifiers, vh4, pittbull, xtc, triamp II, invader, k-tre and the ceres sounds just as good or better and it costs $400.

chopeth85

Reaction score
As someone who owns a VH4, if a Herbert didn't do it for you a VH4 won't either. The Vh4 is not really a modern sounding amp compared to a lot of newer amps on the market. I'd seriously suggest grabbing a KSR Ceres and running it in the fx return of whatever other amp you have. I have 2 rectifiers, vh4, pittbull, xtc, triamp II, invader, k-tre and the ceres sounds just as good or better and it costs $400.

the Herbert is extremely "polite" At low volumes...sounds great but not aggresive. but the Ceres inst bright? i ve seen the demos and i find it a bit bright...isnt it¿

protest

Reaction score
the Herbert is extremely "polite" At low volumes...sounds great but not aggresive. but the Ceres inst bright? i ve seen the demos and i find it a bit bright...isnt it¿

It can be however bright or dark you want it to be. You just have to EQ with your ears. These are good examples of what it sounds like recorded/ in the room.

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
Mooer 005 preamp sounds amazing considering the price. I’d like to try some of the others.

viifox

Reaction score
The Archon is possibly the best high gain monster at low volumes. It's like opening up a recto at loud volumes (but sounds better than a recto). It has zero fizz (as long as you don't overdo it with the gain knob), unlike most high gain amps at bedroom levels. It's tight and thick at the same time. Pair it with a Mesa recto 2x12, and you're golden! Seriously, it's like the 5150 and Uberschall had a love child. It's super easy to dial in too!

Another thing, this might not be important to you, but the Archon has some of the best cleans in existence!

lewis

Reaction score
Laney IRT Studio.

Can get insanely thick/brutal (as well as twangy and tight if you need that too) and its Wattage knob means you can practice at very very quiet volumes whilst the poweramp is still cooking really hot for maximum tonesss

Djent Demo

Deathcore Demo

Low tuned Filth Demo

Overall demo

for the features, the tone and the price - the IRT Studio is just nearly impossible to beat imo

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Splawn Nitro/Super Comp is overflowing with low mids. It’s tight and aggressive. I’ll have to plug it in at really low volume to see how it sounds. At 9:00 on the MV and higher, it’s a beast.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Boosted Mesa Rectifier and or Diezel Herbert based on your description... thick, aggressive, low mids... however neither are ideal for bedroom use. Unless you are going direct to an ir loader power attenuator/load box (Fryette Power Soak etc) device and then out to powered monitors.

Wizard MTL =/= bedroom. I own one and it's about the least bedroom friendly amp there is. It's loud. Louder than 80% of the other tubes amps out there.

Last edited:

Bearitone

Reaction score
Well, if you’re going to be boosting it anyway i say grab a Dark Terror. Thick, dark, good at bedroom volumes. It’ll be raunchy and a different flavor from what you’ve had previously. Super fun amp imo.

But keep in mind there are lots of 100w heads that sound fantastic at bedroom volumes. It’s about the volume/gain taper. Not wattage.