Hip-Hop fans, I need your recommendations!

• Thread starter JeffFromMtl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says. Their first two albums fit in with ANY hip-hop thread... unless it's about shit-hop. Someone mentioned Gravediggaz.

I know, I know. He was talking about funky/intelligent hip-hop. When I think of funky hip-hop, it's definitely all MF Doom projects, Del/Deltron, Kool Keith, and Big L. There are definitely others, but those four make me happy.

Soulwomb

Reaction score
Hmm I don't know really if this would count but Tobacco is considered to be fueled by hip hop beats. Its mainly instrumental with some vocoders I'd say if you like it check out his cd's Fucked Up Friends and Maniac Meat.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
I was going to start a hip-hop project not too long ago. I wrote one or two songs but stopped. Jeff, let's start one.

Check out Cage. His lyrics may not be the most intelligent, but some of his songs are pretty sweet.

There's always Eazy E. He was a master of the mic. Whether you consider it hip-hop or rap, it doesn't matter. Although, I'm sure you know who Eazy E is. His beats aren't really funky, but you have to like him. :cool:

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I came in to rec Busdriver, but I was :ninja:'d by the damn OP.

If you haven't, check out his album Temporary Forever. Whole thing is class.
(as well as everything else he's done)

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I was going to start a hip-hop project not too long ago. I wrote one or two songs but stopped. Jeff, let's start one.

Check out Cage. His lyrics may not be the most intelligent, but some of his songs are pretty sweet.

There's always Eazy E. He was a master of the mic. Whether you consider it hip-hop or rap, it doesn't matter. Although, I'm sure you know who Eazy E is. His beats aren't really funky, but you have to like him. :cool:

Dude, I'm going to be gathering up ridiculous amounts of recording and sound production material starting in July when I sell my car. The plan was to, aside from recording my 8 string garbage, start putting together some really funky, up-beat hip hop beats. I can't MC for shit, I assure you, but the beats will most certainly flow.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I came in to rec Busdriver, but I was :ninja:'d by the damn OP.

If you haven't, check out his album Temporary Forever. Whole thing is class.
(as well as everything else he's done)

:agreed: Busdriver is insane, I've got eveything he's ever released, aside from Jhelli Beam, which I can't find anywhere.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
So, I've given everything in here a quick listen, and although I've already heard a lot of it, some of these recommendations have been really great! Some who were completely unknown to me before, who I'm really digging are Nujabes and Solillaquists of Sound. Fucking awesome!

Reaction score
Lots of good recommendations here. Aesop Rock is my personal favorite... also really dig Alias, Illogic, Del, El-P, Sage Francis, etc.

Maybe some of you would like my friend Introvert. I recorded/mixed his EP. His influences include Witness, Sage Francis, Saul Williams, Atmosphere, Why, etc.

Introvert

(You can download the entire EP by just entering $0.00 for the price)

Introvert | tampa, FL | Hip Hop / Spoken Word / Indie | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Introvert | Facebook

Efekkt

NOTHING
Reaction score
Along the lines of your taste I'd recommend Cool Calm Pete, and +1 on Shad, among other recommendations that you've gotten that I also listen to. Might also try Hieroglyphics. If you like lyrical rap like jedi mind tricks check out Immortal technique (probably already listed here, can't remember), the lost children of babylon, and canibus.

I used to hate mainstream rap but I've learned that if you look more into it there's just lots of bad songs (and bad rappers) among the good ones. Some of my favorite rappers now are Gucci Mane, Wiz Khalifa, and Curren$y. Also give Yelawolf a chance. Maybe not the epitome of musicial talent but I find them very chill to listen to while I burn one.