Hipshot bridge: string action changed by itself

Cyborg_Ogre

Reaction score
When I strarted playing today, I noticed that high E, B and G strings had really low action and were touching first three frets. It wasn't an issue before. I adjusted saddles and everything is fine now.
But I'm wondering how could string action lower by itself? I doubt it's a neck issue, since it doesn't have any noticable bends or twists.
I do a lot of palm muting and move my hand around the bridge. Could I somehow affect the saddle height by doing this?
What's strange is that saddles were lower, which means that screws were tightened, not losened.
Did anything like that happen to your guitar?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The tension of the strings pushes down on the saddles and vibration from playing can work those tiny grubs down.

Remove the grubs, put a little wax on the threads, and put them back in place. That should do the trick. If you're still having problems, try some light threadlocker or even plain old glue.

Cyborg_Ogre

Reaction score
The tension of the strings pushes down on the saddles and vibration from playing can work those tiny grubs down.

Remove the grubs, put a little wax on the threads, and put them back in place. That should do the trick. If you're still having problems, try some light threadlocker or even plain old glue.
I'll try this method. Thanks for advice!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
You didn't mention you did, but just in case...

If you had just adjusted the truss rod, keep in mind that you should do truss rod asjustments in small increments, then let the guitar settle. If you to too-large of an adjustment, it'll take a while to stop moving.

Cyborg_Ogre

Reaction score
You didn't mention you did, but just in case...

If you had just adjusted the truss rod, keep in mind that you should do truss rod asjustments in small increments, then let the guitar settle. If you to too-large of an adjustment, it'll take a while to stop moving.
Thanks, in this case I hadn't, but I'll keep that in mind.

iamaom

Reaction score
It's possible the vibrations of your amp or outside noises (like living next to a rail way) caused the bridge screws to wiggle a bit.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
One of the height adjustment screws may have been raised higher than the baseplate so when you push on the saddle it will push it down, tilting it and lowering the action. I've seen that on guitars in stores a lot when they aren't setup properly.