History repeats itself

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metulkult

rapping metal head
Reaction score
A

AnimalEngine

My Bad for being Ill Informed but what kind of band constitute as MetalCore.?.

metulkult

rapping metal head
Reaction score
My Bad for being Ill Informed but what kind of band constitute as MetalCore.?.

It started with Converge mixing hardcore and metal. Which was very popular to most people, but then more bands started adding more melody to their hardcore, thus making "melodic metalcore".

Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Bleeding Through, and Poison the Well, were big movers of the genre. Then came more popular metalcore acts taking influences from these bands, along other hardcore acts, Zao, A Life Once Lost, one of these bands that came out of this mix was As I Lay Dying, and The Devil Wears Prada which have now become very popular.

Then more bands started taking influence from classic thrash bands, while still mixing the melody that bands like Killswitch Engage, and Bleeding Through made. Trivium resulted in one of these movements.

Then came the stream of bands constantly ripping off bands like Trivium, The Devil Wears Prada, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Killswitch Engage, and other "Metalcore" bands.

Forgive me if any of my knowledge is off, as I stopped listening to metalcore long ago, but I think I covered the gyst of it. :yesway:

A

AnimalEngine

That actually clarifies quite a bit ...But the naming of all these genres does get a bit hazy... and i dont really think metalcore is like the 80s...theres just not enough makeup and "insert here" guitar solos... Id have to say were in a musical awakening of sorts...it seems music is getting better and the people who deserve respect are getting it more now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AnimalEngine on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Razorgrin

Reaction score
i dont really think metalcore is like the 80s...theres just not enough makeup and "insert here" guitar solos
A lot of the metalcore guys seem really taken with the "look" and not so much with the music, which makes me appreciate the comparison to glam metal. Besides, some of the really scene-y dudes have bigger makeup habits than Miley.

... Id have to say were in a musical awakening of sorts...it seems music is getting better and the people who deserve respect are getting it more now.
We can only hope. More proficient, expressive, and better-written music does seem to be more visible to the mainstream these days, but at the same time, Nickelback are still making money hand-over-fist. Toss-up.

I often wish I could have been (or could be) part of a revolutionary music scene in its early days; I'm jealous of guys who can look back on, say, early metal with a wistful smile and a bunch of great stories. I guess if djent is huge in ten years, I can say I was there way back when. :D

metulkult

rapping metal head
Reaction score
This thread fucking delivers, excellent work Bc'ers!

:hbang:

Also, I think metalcore is QUITE like the 80's.

Here's some standard/mainstream metalcore...

Here's some standard hair metal...

From what I see, it isn't much different.

Same kind of intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, flashy solo/the guitarist looking cool "for the ladies", chorus, ending riff.

Steve08

Reaction score
At the Shadows Fall video, I think they're a good band but all of these macho MMA-styled videos are starting to make my head spin...

thefpb2

Reaction score
At the Shadows Fall video, I think they're a good band but all of these macho MMA-styled videos are starting to make my head spin...
:agreed:

i honestly think the glam metal of the 80's is the rap of today, little talent and very self indulgent where similar acts are marketed by the gross.

Reaction score
Metalcore obviously doesn't sound like Glam, but it's still an analogue.

Honestly, I think it's daft to make comparisons. Music is pretty much totally different than it was 30 years ago.