Holding my pick

• Thread starter hatecore_64
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hatecore_64

Swag me out
Reaction score
hey guys
ive been playing close to 6 years, and i have just noticed my way of holding the pick is differant to everyone else i know.

when i hold it and alternate pick, it easily makes its way from a vertical position (how ive seen pretty much everyone holding it) to a more 225 degree angle towards the headstock. (see pic please)

now this has crossed my mind, ive felt that my picking abilities are gradually becoming less.

is this way im holding the pick causing me the problems, or is this the normal way?

thanks.

Attachments

• DSC0000000.jpg
    DSC0000000.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC0000002.jpg
    DSC0000002.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 54

hatecore_64

Swag me out
Reaction score
basicly, my pick turns in my fingers towards the side. will this be a developing problem for my playing, or will it not affect it at all?
does anyone else play this way?

jeremyb

Reaction score
I used to worry about this kinda thing as well, but basically you hold it how its comfortable for you, way more important.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl_killer

Reaction score
I have the same thing happen to me all the time, except my pick turns the other way towards the bridge, mostly while im alternate picking as well. Once it's turned on it's side you lose a lot of the pick attack sound and lose definition in your alternate picking notes. Im just used to waiting for an opportune moment in the song to quickly re-adjust it.

FWIW, here's a link to a thread about modding your picks to improve your grip on them, maybe it will help!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/the-sevenstring-org-workbench/23671-tech-pick-scoring-2.html