Hopefully an easy question...

• Thread starter Stitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
If we ignore the obvious flaws in the writing here (I'm well aware the two parts don't flow together) what does this need to bring more 'OOMPH' to the mix?

I'm honestly struggling.

One suggestion was more treble/presence...:shrug

I'm but a n00b with recording.

Gear is an RG7420 and S7420 both stock into a PODXT on the treadplate setting...

Can't figure out how to embed the wretched new soundclick player, so old school linkage:

SoundClick artist: The Katyn Massacre - page with MP3 music downloads

net48734

Reaction score
If we ignore the obvious flaws in the writing here (I'm well aware the two parts don't flow together) what does this need to bring more 'OOMPH' to the mix?

I'm honestly struggling.

One suggestion was more treble/presence...:shrug

I'm but a n00b with recording.

Gear is an RG7420 and S7420 both stock into a PODXT on the treadplate setting...

Can't figure out how to embed the wretched new soundclick player, so old school linkage:

SoundClick artist: The Katyn Massacre - page with MP3 music downloads

Man, such a loaded question. I think everyone (including pro's) are always searching for more/better tone. What do you use for playback of your music?

Truthfully, the best advice I can give...just being an noob myself... is trust your ears. Were all here because of a love for music. Whether its rock, metal, jazz, whatever. We all love it, and play because of it. With that... you know what sounds you like. Yes, your sounds do sound different in mixes, or when being recorded, or during playback. But put them down and listen to them, in different places (car, house stereo, etc.) Listen to them over and over. Figure out what sounds best. If it sounds too "bassy" for you, again trust your ears and turn down the bass. Trial and error is key.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Man, such a loaded question. I think everyone (including pro's) are always searching for more/better tone. What do you use for playback of your music?

Truthfully, the best advice I can give...just being an noob myself... is trust your ears. Were all here because of a love for music. Whether its rock, metal, jazz, whatever. We all love it, and play because of it. With that... you know what sounds you like. Yes, your sounds do sound different in mixes, or when being recorded, or during playback. But put them down and listen to them, in different places (car, house stereo, etc.) Listen to them over and over. Figure out what sounds best. If it sounds too "bassy" for you, again trust your ears and turn down the bass. Trial and error is key.

Oh, I tend to do that anyway. So amazed with my own musical genius I can't stop listening to what I've recorded. Sometimes I catch a look of myself in the mirror and stare, transfixed, for ours...

Its less the EQ and more just how to make the mix pop out and really punch you in the chest.

It still sounds like a POD, if you get me...

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
then it's very much EQ.

I'm sort of in the process of re-writing that article because it's too short really. The follow-up is more what you're looking for. i'll let you know when it's done. i've just re-mixed a couple of my songs to make them stand out more, i'll link u when they're done too. should be in a couple of hours

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
The song, to me, sounded like it was missing a lot of bass too.
It's kinda funny cause my speakers usually give everything a little EXTRA bass :lol:

Did you just record guitar parts?
Or is there bass in that track?

Shaman

Reaction score
Well, when it comes to tracking guitars, the oomph is usually caused by a thing called speaker excursion. It happens when an amp is turned loud and the speaker really starts moving. This really makes the palm mutes etc. stand out a lot more.

The more bass you have dialed in your amp, the easier it is to get the speaker to move, but of course you have to be careful so that you don't end up with a muddy guitar tone or a tone that doesen't sit in the mix.

But, I don't really know how to achieve that with the POD. Maybe you should try to boost the low frequencies of the guitar, but try not to make it too dominating, because the bass has to sit in the mix as well.

Good luck mate :wavey:

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah bass frequencies + POD = bollocks.

if you were mic'ing up an amp it'd be a different story, but as realistic as the POD tones are, they can't recreate physics. But, all is not lost, as you can sort of fool the PODxt. it's all experimentation really. I've noticed that it's not very different, only that in real recording you'd boost bass just a touch to accent the travel of the sound, but on the pod you cut it ever so slightly, to dismiss mud. and i don't mean just turn the bass dial anti-clockwise. i mean EQ that motherfucker, so 100hz and 220ish-hz are dropped just by a couple of DBs. then it's clearcut, and shiny like a ninjas minge.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm guessing you could try to find yourself a used SM57 and mic your amp THEN run it through the PODxt so you have the OOMPH from your amp turned up real loud AND you can mess with the sound with your POD. EQ that sumbitch 'til it punches a whole in your chest! :metal:

That's what I'd do :shrug:

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
more low end is always helpful i find but not too much.
with guitars i find a lil bit of muddyness helps strangly
has the same sorta effect as differing where it adds abient noice to make it flow together smoother
i tend to also put a tiny bit for effects (simple ones) on my tracks
like tiny bit more reverb or small delay just to fatten it all out

drums when they are not EQed too much is aways a plus

havin somethin there and being able to take it out when needed is way better than not have a part of the sound not there and having to compensate for it

works for me so ..

thedonutman

Reaction score
Stupid question: Have you got any bass tracks? I can't hear any.

Possibly stupid suggestion: Add some bass tracks with a fatter tone.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
To get the speakers really moving you basically HAVE to turn your amp up to that certain sweet spot. This is were those surprisingly nice pratice amps really shine. You can get that kind of sound without going into kill zone mode, or using that heat of the sun lever-A.K.A. Annoying the neighbors and deafening yourself.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Fuck the neighbours. I figured speaker excursion would come into it somewhere,but I've heard incredible results using the XT or Gearbox so I figured it maybe wasn't such a big deal.

ANd no there isn't any bass - I'm about to adress that problem. Bought some epic new headphones today and I really noticed how bassless this mix was - it doesnt seem to have any low end at all. :(

Ruins

Reaction score
if you would do it with amp you would have to turn your main volume knob to 3oclock maybe all the way to 5 but the channel volume knob to what ever to make it sound normal volume level this would force your amp really respond on everything you do and will get more of that woooomp effect that you are looking for.
i have no clue how to get the same effect out of pod though

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Fuck the neighbours. I figured speaker excursion would come into it somewhere,but I've heard incredible results using the XT or Gearbox so I figured it maybe wasn't such a big deal.

ANd no there isn't any bass - I'm about to adress that problem. Bought some epic new headphones today and I really noticed how bassless this mix was - it doesnt seem to have any low end at all. :(

I don't care personally, but I do live in an apartment. Also there are some amps that don't sound good unless they're shaking the house down. I don't know about your situation really. But what I'm saying is it's easier to get small amp into 'excursion mode', simply cause there's less speaker to drive.

Somone awhile back posted a link about a guy who hooked up his guitar to a car stereo speaker so he could get excursion at amazingly low volume, only donwside was bass loss, but for leads it worked great.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;911118 said:
there are some amps that don't sound good unless they're shaking the house down.

My amp only sounds good when it's at practice level. It's an amazing amp for the price (Peavey Banditt 112) but when you turn it up to gigging level it loses all it's warmth and becomes tinny and horrible

Ruins

Reaction score
i thought of another way i hope it will work for you.
you could simply double your guitar track or triple it or recored another very tight track to the first one it might give the effect of 2 guitars besides the fatness but worth trying i think

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Everything on that, with the exception of the intro line is double tracked. Two left, two right...using two different guitars...:s