How about that Misha Toneforge?

• Thread starter Stijnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikah912

Reaction score
When I use this I only get sound when I add it as an effect to my track.......I want to have instant sound like when you plug into an amp you hear the sound as you play. I have read to put the VST on an Aux Track......that didnt work of course I could have done it wrong. I have been looking around and really havent found a solution. Anyone have experience running amp sims and being able to play them instantly instead of recording a dry track then adding the effect? Im using Sonar Platinum.

Don't use Sonar, but it seems pretty clear you don't have monitoring on the track.

Reactions: fob

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
I can't look at any of the video clips you all have attached (at work-don't normally read sso at home), so I don't know if it has been posted/mentioned yet, but HoLy BaLLs the drewsif stalin advertisement for this plugin is some of the gnarliest tone I have ever heard. Just wow. Like fuck. Daddy like. Grunka Lunka dunkety doo, he's got some heavy ass guitar tone for you.

fob

Reaction score
Who added what now?
Email came through that added the ML SoundLab Cab to the cabs through an update just now and it sounds really good to me. I believe its the same dude who did the cabs for the Fortin Nameless as well. Sounds more full and beefy to me.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
The ML Soundlabs cabs makes a fucking HUGE difference. To me the plugin was unusable with the stock cabs but this cab is outstanding. Still won't be my go to but it's a lot better then it was before IMO

fob

Reaction score
The ML Soundlabs cabs makes a fucking HUGE difference. To me the plugin was unusable with the stock cabs but this cab is outstanding. Still won't be my go to but it's a lot better then it was before IMO
Yeah when I went back and forth between the ML sound lab and the JST stock one, the JST had such a thin sound and kinda a wonky mid range to it too. This cab is super good. If there's more, more pls.

ML Sound Lab

Reaction score
Just wanted to drop by to thank you guys for the awesome feedback on the ML IR. The cab section definitely goes to show how big a difference IR's really make. We actually just released a .wav format Cab Pack of the same cabinet that this IR is based on in case you're interested.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Just wanted to drop by to thank you guys for the awesome feedback on the ML IR. The cab section definitely goes to show how big a difference IR's really make. We actually just released a .wav format Cab Pack of the same cabinet that this IR is based on in case you're interested.

Thanks for letting us know. I bought it immediately and it sounds awesome! Don't need any new IRs for a while with this one. :D

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Oh wow! Thank you for the amazing feedback buddy. :)
It was hard to find your website (the Fractal shop shows up easy). Put a link in your signature please.

I've got the Misha bundle of your stuff for my Fractal and it's killer. Definitely interested in the new WAV bundle for my Mooer Preamp Live.

Glad to see you got paired up with Fortin and NeuralDSP on this. You make awesome stuff. There's only one other IR company I like. Your and their stuff is just levels above everything else, especially regarding clarity/definition.

ML Sound Lab

Reaction score
It was hard to find your website (the Fractal shop shows up easy). Put a link in your signature please.

I've got the Misha bundle of your stuff for my Fractal and it's killer. Definitely interested in the new WAV bundle for my Mooer Preamp Live.

Glad to see you got paired up with Fortin and NeuralDSP on this. You make awesome stuff. There's only one other IR company I like. Your and their stuff is just levels above everything else, especially regarding clarity/definition.
That's much appreciated! The website went up a week ago so Google doesn't know about it yet. I'll add it to my signature MEOW!

Mikous

Reaction score
I just bought the Toneforge Misha bollocks and cannot, for the life of me, get a sound that isn't either thin piss dribble which has the tonal qualities of fresh wood chippings, or something so fucking loaded with bass that it clips anytime I palm mute. Genuinely the worst guitar sound I've ever had - on par with a really shit preset from Guitar Rig 5, but at least that program had SOME good tones. The only thing that sounds remotely good is the clean channels and the software pedals, anything crunch or lead is disgusting and has enough hiss to destabilise the foundations of my home. I appreciate there's probably a sweet spot of settings but every single video on it is misleading so far, as I'm doing everything in the videos except own a $3000+ guitar and the difference between our tone is massive. Don't tell me my equipment is at fault because the guitar sounds fucking mint through a POD HD500, Kemper Profiler or any amp I try. I actually think you could get a more convincing sound out of a slinky held taught and twanged a bit. I absolutely hate it so far and feel ripped off (surprise surprise no refunds of this product, which you can't know whether it works until you have it, but then you can't return it because you have it) - but will spend a weekend with the month free of learning resources to see if I'm missing anything.

I'm hoping to God there's a 'make not terrible' button somewhere otherwise this product is trash that relied on people's undying love for Misha to sell.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I just bought the Toneforge Misha bollocks and cannot, for the life of me, get a sound that isn't either thin piss dribble which has the tonal qualities of fresh wood chippings, or something so fucking loaded with bass that it clips anytime I palm mute. Genuinely the worst guitar sound I've ever had - on par with a really shit preset from Guitar Rig 5, but at least that program had SOME good tones. The only thing that sounds remotely good is the clean channels and the software pedals, anything crunch or lead is disgusting and has enough hiss to destabilise the foundations of my home. I appreciate there's probably a sweet spot of settings but every single video on it is misleading so far, as I'm doing everything in the videos except own a $3000+ guitar and the difference between our tone is massive. Don't tell me my equipment is at fault because the guitar sounds fucking mint through a POD HD500, Kemper Profiler or any amp I try. I actually think you could get a more convincing sound out of a slinky held taught and twanged a bit. I absolutely hate it so far and feel ripped off (surprise surprise no refunds of this product, which you can't know whether it works until you have it, but then you can't return it because you have it) - but will spend a weekend with the month free of learning resources to see if I'm missing anything.

I'm hoping to God there's a 'make not terrible' button somewhere otherwise this product is trash that relied on people's undying love for Misha to sell.

Just give it time. I had exact same reaction when I first got it. I gotta say I still prefer the Neural DSP stuff especially for rhythms. I'd suggest trying a 3rd party IR. The ones that come with it are pretty garbage apart from the ML cab.

ML Sound Lab

Reaction score
Try the ML Sound Lab cab in the cab section that came in the update. It completely changes the tone character of the plugin. Even just the default settings that the plugin loads up with and just choosing that ML cab is a good metal tone with my guitar at least.

Mikous

Reaction score
Try the ML Sound Lab cab in the cab section that came in the update. It completely changes the tone character of the plugin. Even just the default settings that the plugin loads up with and just choosing that ML cab is a good metal tone with my guitar at least.

Hi there,

I must admit I had been using the JST Matched Cab; I gave the ML Cab a go and initially it's the same experience (wtf is this awful mushy noise), and by looping some DI for fifteen minutes whilst meticulously tweaking I managed to get something "close" to what I would consider using in a recording. However, there's something still off as the settings have to be at extremes that seem too unusual to be true. (Gate at max to stop the ear bleeding hiss, having to have 0% bass and mid on the 'head' to not clip when muting AND use the extra EQ plugin AND THEN have my own EQ on it in Pro Tools for example - not kidding).

I've only just got off work for the week and am currently settling down to lots of YouTube videos and the resources supplied with the Toneforge plugin and it seems as though something is seriously wrong with my install - all the presets are missing and the default "just opened the plugin" sound is unreasonably different between the videos and mine. Please disregard my previous review and I shall post a fair and honest report once I've had enough time to actually sit down with it for a full day as recompense.

My apologies to all those who have worked hard on this product.

[EDIT] As an extra note/compliment one thing that has really struck me about it so far is how well it picks out little details when you're pick scraping, ghost noting etc. So much so that it's really re-sparked my love for playing in a way, because you can have so much more fun with the dynamics of your playing. Anyway must stop rambling so I can get on with it.

Last edited:

ML Sound Lab

Reaction score
No worries at all. I think having SO MANY options can easily make things more complicated than they need to be. My personal settings are just the default settings that it starts out with, switching the ML cab and then simply turning down the bass on the amp section. I don't really touch anything else. Once you turn every knob that you can you can easily mess things up somewhere. Less is more would be my advice. :)

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
all the presets are missing

The presets were a pre-order perk but you can buy them by joining the JST vip club. I don't want to sound like a salesman but just to inform that your installation should be fine.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
The presets were a pre-order perk but you can buy them by joining the JST vip club. I don't want to sound like a salesman but just to inform that your installation should be fine.

That seems like a load of shit.

Also there's no way to get a refund? In Australia if people say that we can complain to a free government organisation and they have to refund the product. Does your country have anything similar

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
That seems like a load of shit.

Also there's no way to get a refund? In Australia if people say that we can complain to a free government organisation and they have to refund the product. Does your country have anything similar

Yes, we have a consumer rights bureau in Finland that handles stuff like that but personally I don't feel the need to refund the plugin since I like it overally and especially since I've had it for about 6 months now so even the bureau couldn't help me, I'm afraid. I gotta agree that it sucks that you have to buy all the JST plugins like a pig in a poke, without any free trials, and demo videos get you only so far.