How did the Ibanez AZ series become so popular in recent times?

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
This thread just reminds me that I'm glad I'm able to walk both paths of life in harmony.

315770651_5948453225198778_4084235339883904734_n.jpg

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Idunno, dude from Ithaca has a sick-ass pink AZ, and that made me want a sick-ass pink AZ:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarthV

Reaction score
Without looking im thinking fender deluxe and some schecters, edwards?

Isn't the MIA Nick Johnston like $3300US? And does Fender do stainless frets?

Been looking for a hss/sss strat style for a few months, have played Sire S7, Yamaha Pacificas, Silver Sky SE, Fender Player and American Pro II... none of them had the specs you get from an AZ prestige. None of them felt like my AD's AZ. Did like the Pro II and the Sire!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't the MIA Nick Johnston like $3300US? And does Fender do stainless frets?

Been looking for a hss/sss strat style for a few months, have played Sire S7, Yamaha Pacificas, Silver Sky SE, Fender Player and American Pro II... none of them had the specs you get from an AZ prestige. None of them felt like my AD's AZ. Did like the Pro II and the Sire!
I didnt mean MIA schecter :lol: my bad.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I don't care about these guitars. But I miss the ART and ARZ series, Les Paul shaped metal oriented guitars. They were cheap too. I thought they were beautiful.

DarthV

Reaction score
I didnt mean MIA schecter :lol: my bad.
:)

Even the SEA made one doesn't have the specs of the MiJ Ibby. Still love to try one out, but I don't think I've ever seen the local L&M or mom & pop shop ever carry Schecter in store. I should probably just roll the dice on one of the Harley Benton Fusion IIIs and save over $2000CAD!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
:)

Even the SEA made one doesn't have the specs of the MiJ Ibby. Still love to try one out, but I don't think I've ever seen the local L&M or mom & pop shop ever carry Schecter in store. I should probably just roll the dice on one of the Harley Benton Fusion IIIs and save over $2000CAD!
I see schecters steadily on gear hunter, they have em. And it would depend on what the local mom n pop is.

A former coworker opened a store in owen sound, they deal schecter for example.

Abstract_Logic

Reaction score
What's funny is the Ibanez RT and andy timmons model existed for ages. Ibanez already had a foot in the Suhr style strat, they just really wanted to capitalize on the popularity of that in the 2010s

jl-austin

Reaction score
Like it or not Ibanez follows trends in the industry better than anyone else making guitars. During the grunge era they made Talmans and later the SZ's. They kept the RG around, in very limited numbers. We are seeing a shift towards Suhr type guitars right now, no big deal.

The RG is as much a "legacy guitar" as they have.

Me personally though, I think the biggest problem I have seen is, I haven't seen a Babymetal guitarist using an RG..... and we all though how huge Babymetal are! :p

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I'll come right out and say it, AZ's are cool and if you're a young, new guitar player and want to buy something that will last your whole learning period and beyond the AZ is as good as any. I'm in this spot and while I'm old as dirt (34) and not into instagramcore or neo soul I would not mind an AZ at all.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just a marketing move where the artists get asked what mods they'd like on a new model to play it on stage and do some shootings. AZ was new - Ibanez pulled in the Polys, Lari Basilio, Tom Quayle and so on. Now they release this new AZS Tele-thing and all of a sudden, THIS is the favourite guitar of Lari Basilio, Tom Quayle and others. Coincidence, my ass.

Prior to Ibanez Tom had both a signature Strat and Tele Fibenare models:

IMG_2923.jpegIMG_2922.jpeg

Lari also used both Strat and Tele style guitars when she was a Suhr artist, prior to Ibanez endorsement.

IMG_2925.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg

Tim Henson and Scott LePage of Polyphia both used EBMM JP models with similar configurations prior to using Ibanez.

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Prior to Ibanez Tom had both a signature Strat and Tele Fibenare models:

Lari also used both Strat and Tele style guitars when she was a Suhr artist, prior to Ibanez endorsement.
I know, we all know, but what's your point? They both played AZs when those needed to be promoted and switched to the new Tele style when this model needed to be promoted. That's all I said.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know, we all know, but what's your point? They both played AZs when those needed to be promoted and switched to the new Tele style when this model needed to be promoted. That's all I said.

The insinuation that using a specific model was foisted upon them, when they've used similar guitars throughout their careers.

Had the AZ been available when Tim and Scott joined Ibanez, they likely would have used them first, instead of RGs, as those were more similar to the JP models they had been using. The AZ didn't exist when they began their Ibanez contracts.

In the case of Tom and Lari, they would likely have used AZS models regardless of release timeline, as again, they've both used those styles for years prior to Ibanez. Had the AZS been available they would have likely used both from the beginning.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

This is also the same marketing ploy that Ibanez and Vai used to launch the Jem and in turn the RG. So, the AZ campaign is nothing new, and so far, it's more successful than some of the smaller attempts Ibanez have made (Talman, Xiphos, Darkstone, etc).