How did you find music...before the interwebz?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Panacea224

Reaction score
Mostly just picking up CDs my friends recommended or grabbing ones that looked cool in store.

Same for me, I was 16 when I first got dial up internet and of course downloading an album would have taken about 18 hours so I mostly took friends recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bower1

Reaction score
I used to find all my music from the radio and sit there by the radio and made mix tapes. After I would listen to them all the time. I had no access to a lot of heavier music except Ozzy Osbourne. I loved classic rock and still do because of the radio.
My parents gave me the old Jock Rock cassettes because I liked Queen and We Will Rock You was on it. Got into a few songs from those.
My dad has the vinyl of Black Sabbath's Paranoid. He played it when I was a little kid even though my mom absolutely hated it. They still have the old furniture style Record player from the 70's. I remember loving the title track and thought it was on the radio so I turned my POS radio on and it wasn't on it. It was the vinyl ( I was young and didn't have a clue). I have been into that record ever since. That record had me craving metal and I had no clue of how to find music as an 8 year old.
When I got older I started reading magazines and learning about new bands that way. I didn't have internet until I was 18. I went to school and would look up new bands I remembered. I wrote a huge list of bands to look up.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i had this one friend in high school who was a rock/metal album collector.

he had all kinds of obscure music/bands recorded on cassettes. he would make us tapes to listen to...good times!

Pat_tct

Reaction score
backintheday i got new music from friends. If one of us got a new cd we swaped them around so anyone could get a listen. we didn't had our own computers and stuff.
at my school i was one of the first to own a "discman". damn was i cool at that time. we took our fav records to school and listened to them during the breaks.

and of cause backintheday i could get some new music from mtv. when they played headbangersball and some metal in general.

where did we get our new cd's? beeing from the city we had a recordstore where we hung out every couple days and the owner showed us the latest greater records and whats new on the "underground scene". that dude was cool. damn he had every record you could imagine. and he ordered us merch as well.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ in this day and age of downloadable music, record stores a nearly a thing of the past.

sadly there are not many left.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
the city i live in right now has one left. but this shop never got newer records aore "underground" music. just some acdc, stones and a couple metal records from the early 2000. it would be a cool shop but the owner isn't keeping up with time (meaning having new records for sale and stuff)

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Awesome thread!

It's awesome seeing the time span across it.

My dad and uncle were a HUGE source of music. I was raised on Queensryche and Pink Floyd. They played in a band together, so I was around musicians all the time, always hearing different stuff, but mostly always rock/metal.

At a talent show in 4th grade, some kid danced to the Spin Doctors "2 Princes" and I thought the song fucking ROCKED. I started listening to the radio for it, watching MTV for the vids. Got into Live, Collective Soul, Soundgarden, Nirvana...those vids were on MTV nonstop back in the day.

My dad's roommate got me into AIC. My uncle got me hooked on Vai and Eric Johnson. A skater kid from high school told me to buy Dream Theater's Awake and then I spent the next 5 years as an elitist. :lol:
Joined a band in 10th grade, the drummer got me into Pantera and Fear Factory...that was 97' or so...

Up in Maine, AOL was still the biggest internet source, so I wasn't using the internet to find music until about 2001 when DSL finally got into everyone's homes up there.

sleepy502

Reaction score
I had some metallica cds laying around the house that people actually purchased with money.

Hell even before youtube you had to go on forums and download clips to see bands, or risk getting viruses on kazaa. its insane how much exposure bands can get now.

Jontain

Reaction score
If it wasn't passing tapes and CD's around between freinds then I would browse music stores, see what album's appealed to me by Name/Artwork/Presentation etc and take a gamble.

Kinda miss this hit or miss system rather than using youtube and the like.

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
You kids today! I originally was passed some vinyl and EIGHT TRACKS by my brother in law when I was around 7 or 8 years old. We're talking Black Sabbath, Kiss, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, etc. I then began looking at albums in stores. I got hooked on Maiden before I'd ever heard them, via the artwork. A lot of times you got into a band just because you liked the art. Then I started buying CASSETTES and got into thrash and speed metal! Around that time, the international tape trading network started taking off. That was really championed when people were trading Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer demos back and forth. You had to write to penpals or tape traders you found in fanzines and the classifieds of a few pro mags in the stores.

Not too many people were into heavy stuff at that time. Glam was still big. I got a few tape traders then, and proud to say I was one of the first people in the US to hear death and grind gods like Paradise Lost, Entombed, Napalm Death, Carcass, Grave, etc. You had the Florida death metal scene taking off around that time too. Back then you could start buying demo tapes from Wild Rags and a few other small distros. In any of your correspondence, you always got little 1/4 page size flyers for other bands selling demos and stuff. In turn, you sent the flyers out to your other traders and penpals and so they circulated worldwide in a short amount of time. Bands back then could sell 100's of demo tapes just that way - I can't stress how important that flyer spreading aspect was. I spent all my money on buying demos, zines, blank tapes, and postage! You'd actually get to write back and forth with bands that are now legendary today and they'd tell you about other cool bands and so on. You always checked the thanks lists of those bands too and sought out those bands on your tape traders' lists, etc. When CD's actually came out, the metal scene really exploded and things became a little easier to get. There were more tape/CD traders than ever. There was a span of time even after that before anything happened with the internet. I got free dial-up via the public libraries, and could then e-mail updates to my tape trading lists to buddies who also had access!

I definitely miss those days. It was so much more personal. There is no more tape trading since everyone can download albums online. The internet makes a lot of things easier in many ways and I'm as much of an addict as anyone now, for hunting new bands and checking 'em out on youtube. But man, are things different!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
also there were those metal compilation tapes/cd's some companies would publish that had a song from several different bands...i really enjoyed that cause you never knew what would be on it.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Reading lots of reviews, and going round friends houses and listening together.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ nothing like sitting around with friends and listing to each others albums.

funny thing is that you always wanted to be the one who found that killer band/album/song...

...so you held that one back till the end to blow all the others away lol.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Mostly my brother. He got me into the progressive side of music, and eventually I started to gravitate more towards metal stuff he had (System of a Down, Metallica)...but I don't think I'd know nearly half the music I know if it wasn't for the internet