How do I intonate my Ibanez?

• Thread starter BMO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an Ibanez MTM2 and just tried putting fresh strings on. I wanted to change the two lower strings from a 58 to 64 on the 6th string and then a 48 to a 50 on the 5th.I got to the 6 string only and I'm getting mad. I tried adjusting the saddle but either way I go with it the 12th fret still goes sharp. It's the fixed edge bridge by the way, and the saddle is so far forward the fine tuner doesn't work and still it's going sharp. What do I do? please help me. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::scream::scream::scream:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
saddle is so far forward
Well, if your string goes sharp at 12th fret, then you need to lengthen the string by moving the saddle away from the nut. Unless that's what you meant...

Vrollin

Reaction score
Easy way to remember it, look at your tuner, pluck a 12th fret harmonic, then pluck a 12th fret, if the fretted note is sharp your tuner will obviously show sharp by displaying pitch to the right, if it was flat it will show the pitch to the left. Which ever you are getting is exactly the same direction you want to move your saddle as you look at it when its in your lap. Unless you're a lefty, which being MT2 obviously not...

Remember to loosen the string when moving the saddle to the right...

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
ok that was dumb of me then. I'll try moving the saddle further back in the morining and report on my findings. I would've had this done by a professional, but I'm inbetween jobs right now so every dollar needs to be used for rent and gas.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
Check the new bow and overall strings heights. Intonation is the last step in guitar setup.

jorymil

Reaction score
Think: longer string = lower pitch. So if you're consistently sharp, move the saddle back and retune the string.

It's a little counter-intuitive, because when you first move the saddle back, the pitch usually goes up a bit. You're adding more tension to the string when you move the saddle back, so you have to retune to remove the tension you just added.

After you retune the open string, however, you'll see that the pitch at the 12th fret is lower than it was before--the distance between fret and saddle is longer.

John

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
One other thing to remember is sometimes you get a string that just wont intonate. DR strings are notorious for producing strings that give you the fits when trying to intonate a guitar. So if you are getting a jacked up reading on a particular string no matter what you do I would replace that string.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Got it done! I use Ernie balls myself because DRs and Daddarios rust on me in under a week. But I got the two strings that had their gauge changed propeely intonated. The 6th string sounds like it's kinda palm muted after the 10th fret but I assume this is due to thicker gauge is all.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
Got it done! I use Ernie balls myself because DRs and Daddarios rust on me in under a week. But I got the two strings that had their gauge changed propeely intonated. The 6th string sounds like it's kinda palm muted after the 10th fret but I assume this is due to thicker gauge is all.
This is not normal, check the neck bow once again, the string should sound fine without buzz after 12 fret as well.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Fret the problem string at the first and last frets, have a look around the 12th fret or so, there should be a small gap between the string and the fret. If the string is sitting way out or resting on the fret adjust relief accordingly..

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Fret the problem string at the first and last frets, have a look around the 12th fret or so, there should be a small gap between the string and the fret. If the string is sitting way out or resting on the fret adjust relief accordingly..

The thing is it has a tiny amount of space like all the other strings. I even swapped the string out in case it was a dud to no avail. I adjusted the truss rod back and forth, all the frets are level, the neck isn't warped,and the intonation is spot on. I'm so confused at this point.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it will help, there will be others that can def chime in on this one, but have you looked at shimming the neck?

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it will help, there will be others that can def chime in on this one, but have you looked at shimming the neck?

I haven't. I do understand shimming offers a bit of a back angle just to keep tension nice and proper. Before I resort to that I might try dropping the gauge slightly, because a 58 sustained pretty well and was a lot clearer than the 64, which sounds slightly muffled and sound like the note stops a second after picking it. Maybe going up to a 60 or 62 would yield better results?

Vrollin

Reaction score
Only one way to find out really. Couple bucks for a string I say give it a go.
What tuning are you using?

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Only one way to find out really. Couple bucks for a string I say give it a go.
What tuning are you using?

I'm in drop A , so AEADF#B I originally used a power slinky 7 set and dropped the 11, but a 58 was just a little too loose for my taste.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
UPDATE: got new strings in the mail, dropped the 6th string from 64 gauge to 60. Still sounds muffled kind of. By that I mean sustain seems gone acoustically and it gets that sound you get from plucking open over the 12th fret, but at every fret. When plugged into an amp it doesn't seem to affect much. Contemplating swinging by the shop and spending money I really wanted to save in order to fix my issue.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Decided I'm dropping it off at the shop. I've had enough of this issue to troubleshoot it myself. I'll see what the luthier I know at the shop nearby can do for me.