How do your best sounding guitars (plugged in) sound unplugged?

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you setup a solid body electric guitar with high action, the playability, "feeling" and its electric sound will be poor (longer distance between strings & pickups), but it will resonate better while unplugged, due to longer string vibration distance...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My best sounding when unplugged guitar has 2 things that differ than any other of my guitars:1. It doesn't have Floyd. 2.It has thicker strings. I didn't bother to analyze why, I just accepted it for what it is. It is also the cheapest one.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
In general, I find that a guitar that sounds louder and better acoustically will also sound better plugged in, if all else is equal. However, these guitars can be fussier when it comes to choosing optimal pickups, as the wrong pickups will accentuate the guitar's acoustic properties.

For example:
My loudest and most resonant guitar (@MaxOfMetal take a drink!) is my RG652FX. I presume the fixed bridge and direct mount pickups are factors in this (all but one of my other eleven has a floating bridge). It came with a Tone Zone in the bridge as stock, which sounds really warm and full. I could make it work for certain styles where boomy / saggy low-end isn't an issue (e.g. doom / stoner / sludge), but the "bloom" is simply too much for most of what I play.
My RG655 (same guitar, but with a floating bridge and pickguard-mounted pickups) also came with a Tone Zone in the bridge, but I find that a lot more usable for metal. Compared to the RG652FX, this guitar is quieter acoustically and less resonant.