How does that saying go, once you go Mac you never go back?

• Thread starter DarkKnight369
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
Well I am going Mac. I got a Mac Book Pro at work last week and I am loving it. Its not the refreshed one, but its a maxed out 17" model...

MBP2.jpg

I took it home this weekend and was turned. Yesterday I ordered my own through the Apple store with these specs...

2.5Ghz Processor
4GB of RAM
200GB 7200 RPM Drive
17" LED High Resolution Display
Apple Remote
some other bullshit...

I ordered some software too including Word 2008, and Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars. I was going to order parallels, but I am stuck right now. I can't decide between parallels or VMware Fusion. Any thoughts?

I just have to come up with an extra $1799 now so I can order my damn Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium CS3.

I snagged some other accessories too including...

Incase Sling Bag Laptop Case
nyln_slnpck_blk2-1.jpg

Apple Time Capsule 500GB
8724115_sa.jpg

Logitech V470 Blue tooth Mouse
logitechv470-reviewlg.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Once you go Mac you never go back, that's right. I was a Mac hater before i got my Intel-24 a year and a half ago, no longer, for a music production student they rock. CS3 is awesome aswell! I play on getting either a tricked out MBP over summer, or a Mac Pro and cinema display.

Mac :metal:

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
VMWare Fusion. Parallels is a load of arse

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:agreed:

I find the 17" is a little too big for a portable. It's okay if you're using it as a "desktop replacement" and are only occasionally moving it around for a presentation or remote work, but the 15" is better for me, especially when i was commuting on the train every day and had to lug it back and forth.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
Once you go Mac you never go back, that's right. I was a Mac hater before i got my Intel-24 a year and a half ago, no longer, for a music production student they rock. CS3 is awesome aswell! I play on getting either a tricked out MBP over summer, or a Mac Pro and cinema display.

Mac :metal:

I hated Macs for the longest time. My hatred probably started back in college in the earlier half of this decade. We had shitty macs in our multimedia labs, and my pentium 4 always smoked them. I always loved the other Apple products though as I am on my second iPod and I own an iPhone. Macs going intel, and Leopard really brought me in though. Now I am hooked.

I have 2 computers with similar specs sitting next to each other here at work. I have my Intel Core 2 Duo Dell Latitude with 4GB of Ram and the Maxed out MBP. Just opening up firefox and browsing the net was worlds faster. I can't wait to really give it the full test with Multimedia production stuff. The Dell has a shittier video card, and a slower hard drive, but still.

VMWare Fusion. Parallels is a load of arse

I have been hearing that lately, what is so bad about parallels? Or, why is VMware Fusion so much better?

I find the 17" is a little too big for a portable. It's okay if you're using it as a "desktop replacement" and are only occasionally moving it around for a presentation or remote work, but the 15" is better for me, especially when i was commuting on the train every day and had to lug it back and forth.

I am a 6'8" 275lbs individual, so the 17" fits quite nicely on my lap. I have a 15" Toshiba laptop at home currently, and the screen size pisses me off. I always wished their was more. I work on a lot of graphic stuff, and when it comes to print resolution work, a big screen and high resolution is a must for me. I have a 20" Dell monitor at work that displays 1600x1200. The high res 17" Mac Screen seems to pretty much display the same amount of stuff which is nice.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
First of all, congrats on your purchase.

Second.
Vmware Fusion ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY!!!

One of the reasons why I like VmWare is because the memory management is handled very well. Another thing about Fusion is that you can drag and drop a file from your mac in and out of a windows machine with ease! Very awesome stuff.

Also, vmware fusion has this special "Unity" button where you can integrate windows programs on mac os. A good example is this picture below

vmware-fusion-unity.png

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I like VmWare is because the memory management is handled very well. Another thing about Fusion is that you can drag and drop a file from your mac in and out of a windows machine with ease! Very awesome stuff.

Also, vmware fusion has this special "Unity" button where you can integrate windows programs on mac os.

I've been a Parallels user since before Fusion was out of beta. Parallels is a very good product, but i do keep hearing great things about Fusion. (And for the record, Parallels will do everything you mentioned above.) But everything i've read says VMWare's speed and memory management are superior.

But for serious Windows work, i just boot directly into XP using Boot Camp. The only thing that sucks is that Apple didn't include any capability to access the Mac volume(s) on the machine while booted into Windows. Unless they changed that in the final Leopard release. I'm still running the beta Tiger version.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not being able to read Mac partitions is a windows issue, Apple can't really do anything about it unless they want to botch together some kind of update for windows. They're moving to use Sun's ZFS so I can't see them making big fuss over their old file system tbh.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
VMware fusion sounds interesting. Anyone know how easy it is to install a copy of either on multiple machines? A guy at work just ordered a new mac and parallels for his wife. If I ordered fusion, would we be able to install both on our machines to use?

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I've been a Parallels user since before Fusion was out of beta. Parallels is a very good product, but i do keep hearing great things about Fusion. (And for the record, Parallels will do everything you mentioned above.) But everything i've read says VMWare's speed and memory management are superior.

But for serious Windows work, i just boot directly into XP using Boot Camp. The only thing that sucks is that Apple didn't include any capability to access the Mac volume(s) on the machine while booted into Windows. Unless they changed that in the final Leopard release. I'm still running the beta Tiger version.

What version of Tiger do you run? I wanted to grab it, but I heard so many horror stories of it completely bricking your hard drive if you downlaoded one of the latest updates to Tiger and you had boot camp installed.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Kagami's right; it's Windows that can't read the Mac OS HFS-formatted partition. I've heard that there are elements of ZFS in Leopard but nothing of consequence to any end-user, but I guess once both OSs run on ZFS-formatted drives, future Mac OS / Windows dual-booting systems won't have a problem accessing each other's drives

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm running 10.4.11, and i haven't heard anything about hard drives getting "bricked". I'll probably upgrade to Leopard in the next few months.

Lil_McGinley

Reaction score
I can't stand Macs. I get on one and I'm like where the hell is the start menu. Guess I'm not used to them and doubt I ever will. However, I do use their OS a lot with networking, also Linux/Unix and all that great stuff.

PC's is where I'll be for the next 5 years. And screw Vista, XP Pro is ftw.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Admittedly, I haven't used a Mac in about 2 and a half years, since before they went Intel. I used to work between my own personal Dell, and a G4 with OSX. I've owned my Dell for 3 and a half years, and it has not once given me grief. The G4, on the other hand (which belonged to my employer at the time) was a horrendous, cranky piece of shit. It would crash, it would slow down for no apparent reason, and was just a huge pain in the ass overall.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Yeah, that's probably because it was a G4 running OSX :lol:

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
Admittedly, I haven't used a Mac in about 2 and a half years, since before they went Intel. I used to work between my own personal Dell, and a G4 with OSX. I've owned my Dell for 3 and a half years, and it has not once given me grief. The G4, on the other hand (which belonged to my employer at the time) was a horrendous, cranky piece of shit. It would crash, it would slow down for no apparent reason, and was just a huge pain in the ass overall.

I hated the G4's and early G5's we had in the computer lab when at school. I would always try to do my work on my Pentium 4 dell because it was faster. The Intel switch, and leopard really pulled me in.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Man, people complaining about G4s have no idea :lol: You guys have no excuses to dislike Apple computers. I grew up with LCs, those were the only computers I knew aside from my dad's Commodore, if you want computer hell, get an LC, people say Windows is slow and unstable, they have never used an LC.

Latest posts