How Hard Is It To Play 6 String Songs On A 7 string?

• Thread starter nosferum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
It wasn't until I got a 7 that guitar started feeling comfortable to me. Maybe it was the 6s I had been using before but playing a 7 just made way more sense once I started.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
It all depends on the stuff you like to play. When Chris Broderick was playing in Megadeth, he was using his sig which was a 7 string. You need to get used to it but after few days of playing you'll be good. Coming back to 6 after playing a 7 feels funny I'd say. 6 strings feels like a baby guitar for a moment :D

Even though Chris had a 6 and 7 string sig Dave wouldn’t allow him to play the 7 with Megadeth. He always played 6’s with them.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I played 6 string for 7 years before I got my first 7. I like 7 strings more than 6 strings, don't ask me why or how. So since then I play nearly all of 6 strings songs on a 7. It didn't take me too much effort to adapt, I can imagine some people might have a hard time though. The only real "issue" I had was playing power chords on the low E and A string. There is an extra low B to consider.

Kruger667

Reaction score
Playing 6 string songs on a 7 is easy. Playing 6 string songs on an 8 string is a little rougher. I don't think I will ever buy a 6 string guitar again (outside of some collector reason). Having the extra range is very nice. You do want extra range right?

Pieces-of-Flair.jpg

Acme

Reaction score
Playing 6 string songs on a 7 is easy. Playing 6 string songs on an 8 string is a little rougher. I don't think I will ever buy a 6 string guitar again (outside of some collector reason). Having the extra range is very nice. You do want extra range right?

I get it, but for some reason the clarity is much better when it comes to 6 string pickups. I tried loads of 6, 7 and 8 string pickups and I've always found that the 6 strings sound much rounder. I even tried the 6 and the 7 string versions of some pickups (BKP Nailbomb Alnico and Ceramic, Warpig Ceramic), and the 6 string versions sounded way better.

Kruger667

Reaction score
I get it, but for some reason the clarity is much better when it comes to 6 string pickups. I tried loads of 6, 7 and 8 string pickups and I've always found that the 6 strings sound much rounder. I even tried the 6 and the 7 string versions of some pickups (BKP Nailbomb Alnico and Ceramic, Warpig Ceramic), and the 6 string versions sounded way better.

You are going to need to describe "clarity" and "roundness"; they mean different things to different people. Also yes sometimes the 7 string version of pickups sound different than their 6 string versions. However, I would say a couple things:

1) Unless you found a way to fit a 7 string pickup in a 6 string guitar for test purposes, you are also playing different guitars when comparing pickups. Are you sure the specs are exactly the same with the only difference being a wider neck and one extra string?

2) Sometimes the 7 string version of a pickup produced a more desirable tone. The X2N7 comes to mind.

3) There are so many other items that can affect tone, even something overlooked like cap values in the guitar. Unless the pickup has way too much or way too little gain, you can shape it so many different ways.

4) Some artists switched to 7 string guitars even though they only (at least publicly) played 6 strings. Necrophagist had a 7 string xiphos towards the end.

Edit: There is a reason you are thinking of getting a 7 string. Whatever the reason, focus on what that will allow you to do as a musician as opposed to how it will be different from what you are used to. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Acme

Reaction score
You are going to need to describe "clarity" and "roundness"; they mean different things to different people. Also yes sometimes the 7 string version of pickups sound different than their 6 string versions. However, I would say a couple things:
It's hard to describe it with words. I had quite a few sixers, sevens and eight strings in the last two decades or so with different specs and pickups and generally I always had the same feeling. In low- and mid-gain settings there's this twang, which is not present when I'm playing on 7 or 8 strings. The notes sound duller in a way, no matter how I tweak the amp. Also, on the low end, the note separation is a bit lacking - 7 string standard B tuning vs 6 string tuned to B for example. I tried everything from Bare Knuckles to Seymour Duncans to EMGs to Fishmans and for my ears, the end result is always the same.

1) Unless you found a way to fit a 7 string pickup in a 6 string guitar for test purposes, you are also playing different guitars when comparing pickups. Are you sure the specs are exactly the same with the only difference being a wider neck and one extra string?
I did that. 6 string swamp ash Regius vs 7 string swamp ash Regius. Same pickups, loved the 6 string versions much more. But I had the same pickups in two mahogany guitars where one was 6, the other was a 7 etc, with the same result.
2) Sometimes the 7 string version of a pickup produced a more desirable tone. The X2N7 comes to mind.
I never experienced this, but I'm probably looking for something else than you do when it comes to tone.
3) There are so many other items that can affect tone, even something overlooked like cap values in the guitar. Unless the pickup has way too much or way too little gain, you can shape it so many different ways.
Had guitars with 250k and 500k pots in them, tried a 7 with 250k but it didn't fix my issue. I'm not even sure if it's an issue, it's probably only me who feels this way.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

This has always been a big problem for manufacturers. You can't just wind a 7 string pickup the same way as a 6, DiMarzio do that and the result is wildly different sounding pickups. BKP put a lot of work into their pickups but like you said there is a noticeable difference. Sometimes makers get close but it sounds like ass on the low 7th string so they have to tweak or compensate and then it results in a different sounding pickup again. Blackmachine Doug said he never played a 7 string pickup he liked and explained why the design only really works for a 6, not understanding pickup construction it went mostly over my head but I've heard a lot of other makers and gear heads say the same thing since, having a 6,7,8 version is mostly marketing rather than being a consistent sounding pickup for each guitar. Just one of the many flaws electric guitar has I guess.

vanaheim_michael

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me it took 1 - 2 months to fully get used to the Sevenstring (after playing 6 strings for 5 a 6 ish years). But nowadays i prefer to play every 6 string song on a 7 string :)
If i don't feel like transcribing the song to 7 string I just use the Digitech Drop pedal.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
This has always been a big problem for manufacturers. You can't just wind a 7 string pickup the same way as a 6, DiMarzio do that and the result is wildly different sounding pickups. BKP put a lot of work into their pickups but like you said there is a noticeable difference. Sometimes makers get close but it sounds like ass on the low 7th string so they have to tweak or compensate and then it results in a different sounding pickup again. Blackmachine Doug said he never played a 7 string pickup he liked and explained why the design only really works for a 6, not understanding pickup construction it went mostly over my head but I've heard a lot of other makers and gear heads say the same thing since, having a 6,7,8 version is mostly marketing rather than being a consistent sounding pickup for each guitar. Just one of the many flaws electric guitar has I guess.

When it comes to the pickup side of things, one of the most baffling discrepancies under the same monicker was the DiMarzio D Activator - it sounded awesome in both 6 and 8-string configurations, yet the 7-string version was nothing like the others in terms of sonic traits in the slightest, which was always quite confusing to me!

AlienProbe974

Reaction score
literally just try playing a 6 string song on your 6 string but starting on the 5th string

it's literally nothing, I have never understood why people make it out to be such a big deal

do I prefer playing 6 string songs on a 6 string? yes, but it's not a make or break and as such I've decreased my collection to a single 8 string for the past few years

Exactly this!

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Hint: start with DropA tuning

Don't understand why this post doesn't have more likes. Drop A is probably the most friendly tuning for 6 string players looking to start off on 7s as any bar chord with the root note on the 5th string can be adapted just by extending the bar down to the 6th and 7th - huge sounding chords. Also Am/C Major (which is probably the key outside of E 'insert major or minor variant here" most guitarists are familiar with if they've done any formal training) becomes stupid easy to play with a ton of options.

stockwell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Chiming in late, but I think I have some useful perspective. The problem with a lot of people here is that they're good at guitar. I've never experienced this issue, so learning anything new is hard for me.
I just got my first 7 a couple weeks ago. Since then I've been trying to learn a lot of 6 string songs on it. Now, keep in mind I haven't sat down and really learned a song in years.
I would say it's initially pretty tricky, especially if you're reading tabs. You have to mentally shift everything one string up. That's a lot of extra cognitive load for someone with my tiny brain.
That being said, it's been only two weeks and I'd say I'm mostly used to it now. It took way less time to adapt than I expected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because at the end of the day, a 6 to 7 is only a 16% increase in strings.
I figure if you sat down and set aside a whole day to play a 7, your brain wouldn't have much of an issue after.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Instead of mentally changing everything you do one string up, just look at the instrument from a different perspective. I had a 7string several years ago and just couldn’t jive with it, sold it, regret it. But I dipped back into the 7 game, and just looked at the instrument from the bottom strings up instead, and it really helped me visualize what I wanted to do and it kept me from constantly having to think about what I was doing. It’s just less mental strain, as opposed to having to think of everything ahead as you’re playing.

I know this sounds silly, but it’s what really changed my thoughts on 7’s, and now I own three of them, along with two 8’s.

I probably explained this like shit.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Chiming in late, but I think I have some useful perspective. The problem with a lot of people here is that they're good at guitar. I've never experienced this issue, so learning anything new is hard for me.
I just got my first 7 a couple weeks ago. Since then I've been trying to learn a lot of 6 string songs on it. Now, keep in mind I haven't sat down and really learned a song in years.
I would say it's initially pretty tricky, especially if you're reading tabs. You have to mentally shift everything one string up. That's a lot of extra cognitive load for someone with my tiny brain.
That being said, it's been only two weeks and I'd say I'm mostly used to it now. It took way less time to adapt than I expected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because at the end of the day, a 6 to 7 is only a 16% increase in strings.
I figure if you sat down and set aside a whole day to play a 7, your brain wouldn't have much of an issue after.

Instead of mentally changing everything you do one string up, just look at the instrument from a different perspective. I had a 7string several years ago and just couldn’t jive with it, sold it, regret it. But I dipped back into the 7 game, and just looked at the instrument from the bottom strings up instead, and it really helped me visualize what I wanted to do and it kept me from constantly having to think about what I was doing. It’s just less mental strain, as opposed to having to think of everything ahead as you’re playing.

I know this sounds silly, but it’s what really changed my thoughts on 7’s, and now I own three of them, along with two 8’s.

I probably explained this like shit.

I think both of you kind of covered it. Using the 1st string (high e) as your visual reference on the guitar and tabs makes going to a 7 way easier than if you use the 6th string (low E). If you use the 1st string as a reference you don't actually have to do any shifting as such.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
My turn for youtube spam, addressing the same basic question:

Really, it's not that hard - anything that involves wrapping your thumb around the neck for chording (i.e - a lot of Jimi-style rhythm parts) is pretty tough on a seven. Other than that, anything involving bashing away at the low E string you just have to be a bit more controlled for, and IMO that's a good habit to get into anyway if you're ever going to do much riffing off the A or D strings.

Other than that, a 7 is just a 6 with a low string. Ignore the low B, and you've got a 6.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I just got a 7 last year.... and the Ben Eller vid really did the trick for me.
B E A D Gb/F# B e
Just dropping that G one half step and all your standard 6 positions work using the low B, which I enjoy. The Low B was otherwise "in my way". "Extra" string is now the high E but it is more organic having it there to my hacking guitar skills.
YMMV.