How is Nolly playing this? (Make Total Destroy bass line)

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
So, I wanted to work on some ERB bass lines, and decided that this tune was a good place to start. But, there's this slap/pop part, and I cannot figure out what he's doing where it shows the XXXX on the highest strings. I get that it's a mute note(s), but is it him hitting the strings with his fretting hand? Because in the videos on YT it doesn't look like he's doing anything, really.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 6.10.03 PM.png

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The tab makes it look like a left hand slap but he's not doing that in either video.

Where is that tab/notation from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The tab makes it look like a left hand slap but he's not doing that in either video.

Where is that tab/notation from?
Ultimate Guitar. And yeah, that’s what I thought. I could just play it without either of those - and it would be way easier.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
OK, I did some more googling around, and actually found this interview with Nolly, where he says, "In my tab, the dead notes across multiple strings denote a fretting hand slap, while the single dead notes on the low Ab are slaps while the string is being muted by the fretting hand." So I guess, at least in theory, he is hitting the strings with his fretting hand. But it sure doesn't look in the videos that he's actually doing it enough to make a noise.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love his technique. He is also a pretty gifted guitar player.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Dude is a master of everything. I forgot how unconventional some off the riffs are. There's so many cool layers in that song that cut through more without the vocals. We were so close to getting an instrumental version of this album but a few snide posts about Spencer's vocals on Facebook ruined that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's a bit easier to see the intentional "fretting hand slapping" in this playthrough:

Yeah, it just looked more like muting, but I guess it is just a matter of how loud you want the mute/slap to be.