How Long Before String Changes?

• Thread starter ATRguitar91
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you change strings in the studio?

• 1 song

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 2 songs

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 3 songs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 hours

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 10 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Longer

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Obviously you should record with fresh strings, but how long are those strings optimally fresh?

I'm in the process of tracking for an upcoming release. I restrung and have tracked 3 songs so far, with about 5 hours of playing time on the strings. I want to make sure I'm sending good DIs to the mixer.

I was assuming after 10 hours of playing time they will start to dull, which means I can get another song or 2 from this set, but I wanted to hear from other's experiences. What's the optimal amount of time to use one set of strings?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Buy in bulk and change often. Iirc we changed daily or sooner depending on condition.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Buy in bulk and change often. Iirc we changed daily or sooner depending on condition.
I've got plenty of spare strings, but I'm only recording for an hour or 2 at a time (once the kiddos have gone to bed). So the sessions are broken up.

If I was spending all day recording in the studio I'd just a pack a day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
wiping them down after?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The one semi-professional recording I did in the 90es (one week - 5 days - of studio time paid by myself and the band in Japan) I switched every day, which is when I really learned to deal with a Floyd Rose setup. I did it because 5 packs of strings weren't going to break my bank. I did everything with a single guitar so there was no way I'd restring more than once a day.
All thos for the grand result of getting 500 CDs printed, of which we sold roughly half to friends & family. I kept one for myself and I sadly lost it at some point during a move. I have long since lost touch with the band members so I think the recording is lost. :(

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
One song, but occasionally one riff. Then, I am handed another guitar by my roadie, Hans. Typically, I take 30-40 instruments with me and require them re-strung every 2.5 hours regardless of use. I hate Hans so much. So, so much.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'd say about five hours of play time or each day if I'm paying for the time. At home recording random ideas it's about a month or two. Today was string change day for me. Strings can change their sound and feel a lot between fresh and beat, so I wouldn't record on a brand new set of strings without stretching them before playing and tuning the guitar for about 10 minutes. Ideally longer. That adds a lot of time to string changes so I'm not changing them every song. They're consistent enough for at least a few hours and can be pushed for a full work day which is enough for me.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I think this is like the third thread on this in recent months but "10 songs???" I've got guitars that get played regularly with full sets that haven't been changed in maybe 6 years? eight years? As long as they're not oxidizing or unwinding, I'm good. Lotta times I'll change strings just cause I had to pull em to condition a fret-board or polish frets.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Appreciate the insights and tomfoolery. I think I'll aim for about 10 hours or until the tone is loosing the snap. So far it seems like they haven't lost the brightness.

Usually I keep strings on until one breaks.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Usually I keep strings on until one breaks.

That’s how I am with my tennis racquets and it’s about once every two weeks.

IMG-8767.jpg

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
When I actually sit down to track stuff I usually go ~7-8 hours. Strings for my dumbass guitars are like $20/set so I try to get as much done as possible, lol.