How Many of You Don't Use Any Pedals?

• Thread starter Whoman Bean
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffer Madness

Reaction score
I don't use pedals, but I'm starting to be alot more open minded about that kinda stuff.

There's an art to the way some of these players manipulate the sound in real time.

It's also a way for guitar tones to stay revelant in a world dominated by robot bs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
That used to be me. I'm not big into effects and my previous rig was just a modeler. Just amp and cab in my signal path. But then I got a real amp and dived into OD/boost pedals to go in front. That led me to checking out preamp pedals. Then I got a Two Notes CAB M to run an IR into our monitors. Now at home when I'm not in a plugin I'll just use a combo of OD+preamp+CAB-M as a rig-in-3-boxes kinda thing for noodling around.

And so far I've managed to stay away from time-based effects pedals. So no reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, etc. just yet...

Marked Man

Reaction score
I don't use pedals, but I'm starting to be alot more open minded about that kinda stuff.

There's an art to the way some of these players manipulate the sound in real time.

It's also a way for guitar tones to stay revelant in a world dominated by robot bs.

I've never found one of these do-it-all microwave boxes that does every sound as well as all of my favorite pedals. When it comes to convenience over the best possible tone, gimme the best tone. And I don't like having too many choices / too much complexity anyway.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I can go without pedals for my bass rig... but my bass rig is a DarkGlass Microtubes, so it is like having a VMT, B3k, and Hyperluminal compressor with a 900 watt power section.

I can occasionally plug straight into my Mark 525 with no pedals, but pedals give me a lot more options.

The Triaxis rig needs pedals. Everything just sounds better with the way I have it boosted.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I could perfectly gig with my Engl Sovereign with no pedals at all. 4 channels, MIDI controlled with built-in spring reverb and noise gate. Completely self-sufficient.

If my JVM had a built-in gate, it would be the same deal. However I still like to use my Boss GT-1000 for switching and adding sauce like compressor and chorus on cleans, etc.

lewis

Reaction score
God, im the opposite haha. Not only is it a nice addiction to have had, i ended up stumbling into a setup that literally works perfect for me (but probably wouldnt for anyone else these days) and its literally the old Periphery setup:

Keeley Compressor > ISP Noise gate > OD (boss SD1) > Boss NS2 > Amp input > 30inch Baritone > low tuned to hell

col

blah.
Reaction score
Usually I don't. Some delay from the Kemper if we ever get to playing live again. But I have a JHS od and a TS clone for some different gain textures.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Gotta have reverb and delay -- and I also like to use chorus and sometimes other stuff like phaser and tremolo. I got a compressor to use mostly with my single coil equipped guitars, and the lap steel. I have a Source Audio Collider and a Strymon Mobius to cover that stuff, so the other pedals I use are either boost/OD or utility pedals.

chargrilled

Reaction score
I’m the total opposite an FX junkie, I especially like sticking FX on the high gain channel to try and warp up the heavy distorted stuff to make it more interesting

LCW

Reaction score
I try to use none. Tuner pedal only haha. Sometimes it's fun though, especially fuzz. Flanger or phaser can be cool depending on what is played.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
I used to use no pedals at all except for a tuner and even that was a lot. Nowadays I use a pedal setup with a clean power amp. Mainly just a boost or two, preamp and a delay but still.
I do love pedals for home use.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I try to use none. Tuner pedal only haha. Sometimes it's fun though, especially fuzz. Flanger or phaser can be cool depending on what is played.
But why is the dryest possible tone the goal?

Gmork

Reaction score
If i was ONLY playing metal and was not doing any solos then sure, just the amp is fine