How much do I have to pay, to ensure great quality?

• Thread starter KrisHQ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KrisHQ

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I want to buy my first 7-string guitar, and over the years I think I've gotten a pretty good idea of what I want/need.

I've narrowed my search down to a few features, which the guitar MUST have.

• Locking Tuners
  • Versatile Passive Pickups of great quality (Dimarzio etc)
  • Fixed bridge, preferably without a whammy
  • Preferably a 5-way switch or coil-split function. The more versatility the better!
  • Stratocaster Shape
  • 25.5" Scale

Which type of wood it's made of doesn't really affect me too much, since I still havn't found any preference.
Having a tone-knob is not a MUST, but definitely a huge plus.

So. Looking for 7-string guitars to fit these requirements has left me with these two options:

Ibanez RG927WFXZC - 1.090 €

Ibanes RGAIX7FM - 798 €

Although slightly different, these two guitars fit pretty much all my needs. But there is a price difference.
I cannot afford an Ibanez Prestige or an American made PRS, since the problem would already have been solved then.

I've read a lot of NGD-threads where people have to run a setup on the guitar, since it doesn't play too well out of the box. I'd like to avoid this as much as possible, since I got a setup on my last guitar as well, and that adds to the price.
For that to be the case, do we talk Prestige-prices or would a premium ensure that kind of quality?
Furthermore, is the fretwork on the premium worth the extra cost, since that's basically the only thing you're paying extra for.

Basically, I want to ensure that my next guitar is of great quality. It'll be a guitar that I'll play for years. Will either of these two guitars give me that, or are there any alternatives out there which will?

Another thing to note, is that I'll in pretty much 80% of scenarios have to buy from an online-store. This is simply because I live in Denmark, and if you want anything aside from a Stratocaster or Les Paul, you're screwed.

Hope to get some clarification from you guys :)

EDIT:
If there is any chance of having a custom built guitar, that will suit my needs and ensure quality, that is not out of the question.
That said, I can't afford an extremely expensive guitar, though I can wait for it being built since I'm in no rush.
I was just looking at "Sabre" guitars, and I thought I would add this information :)

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Most guitars are gonna need a setup out of the box from the factory, just because the way they set it up in the factory may not be to your particular playing style. Not to mention climate differences between the factory and your home which are sure to throw off the setup.

I personally don't like really low action, since I like to wail on the strings without getting fret buzz, so I need to set up all my guitars as soon as I get them. One way you can address this is by purchasing from a shop that will set it up for you with your preferred string gauge/setup before sending it to you. Expecting a guitar to be set up the way you like out of the box from the factory is just setting yourself up for disappointment, imo.

Luckily most of your 'wants' are pretty easy changes to make yourself. Adding locking tuners is easy, and so is a pickup change. Rewiring with coil splits is slightly more complicated, but certainly doable for a beginner, if you don't want to pay someone else to do it.

As for the thread title, there isn't really a price where you're guaranteed to get quality. You could get a lemon mayones, or a real gem of a squier. As price point goes up, the consistency in quality certainly increases though.

I'll leave fretwork comments on ibanez premiums to someone else who has more experience than me, I know there are plenty of ibanez experts here.

timbucktu123

Reaction score
for the price of either of those instruments you could buy a brand new or used ibanez prestige either of which will have a much higher degree of quality assurance then the ones in the OP

Konstantine

Reaction score
Going to need a setup regardless with mass manufacture brands. Both of my prestige guitars needed fret leveling or else they would have tons of fret buzz and even dead notes if I lowered the action any more than it was out of the box. The only time I ever got close to not having to set up a new guitar was when I got my Kiesel. Came out the box playing perfect, was able to lower the action super low with no dead notes and buzz. After the neck adjusted to the climate change, I only had to turn the truss rod a tiny bit and it was gold.

KrisHQ

Reaction score
I see. Seems like most of you simply do a slight setup yourselves.
I've always been slightly hesitant to do such things myself, since I'm afraid of screwing up even more, and don't really have any knowledge or expertise in the area.
Would probably be a good idea to research the area, I suppose there are some good vido series on youtube?

Is there anyone with experience in regards to the Iron Labels and Premiums?
How do they compare in terms of quality?

Lasik124

Reaction score
I've always been slightly hesitant to do such things myself, since I'm afraid of screwing up even more, and don't really have any knowledge or expertise in the area.
Would probably be a good idea to research the area, I suppose there are some good vido series on youtube?

Is there anyone with experience in regards to the Iron Labels and Premiums?
How do they compare in terms of quality?

Hey bud welcome to the forums :wavey:

Yea, basic setups aren't hard! In fact I've learned a lot from this forum, there are helpful posts scattered here and all over the internet on just about how to do everything! Could always even make your own post about it.

Sorry I personally don't have experience with the Iron Labels and Premiums. I can although give you my opinion on that Ibanez hasn't personally let me down. I'm sure someone who owns one soon can chime in.

Just to let you know of the option of course, yes you can get a prestige for that price if your willing to go the used route

I've gotten an RG1527 with upgraded Dimarizos for the same price, mint off this forum! :2c:

As a quick head's up the guitar your looking at, the RG927WFXZC comes with IBZ pups. I think you said you wanted Dimarizo's.

Your other guitar the RGA comes with "Dimarizo Fusions". I could be wrong but I think this is some kind of "Budget" Dimarizo. Much like Duncan Designed etc. For example you can't just purchase a Fusion off the Dimarizo site. These pickups could be fine, maybe someone else can chime in. But might be something to research.

Last but not least, unless I did conversions wrong you might have missed a prestige in your price range new. It would match your specs the best.

Electric Guitar RG - RG752FX Prestige | Ibanez guitars

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
As for the thread title, there isn't really a price where you're guaranteed to get quality.

1000x this.

My most reliable guitar so far has been an Ltd Ex400 I got for $500CAD- outside of the occasional adjustments/setups you need to do on any instrument, it's always done just done it's thing. I've spent much more money on other "better" instruments that have been far less reliable - neck cracks, finish problems, unable to intonate, trems that start vibrating in weird ways, etc etc.

Shask

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everyone else. All guitars will need some sort of maintenance and setup. You cant expect to get something that will come perfect, and stay perfect. You can turn a $100 guitar in to a great player with new electronics and a fret level/crown. Putting money into personalizing something goes a long way.

stevexc

Reaction score
To ensure great quality? I'd say $3-4000, but I've heard too many horror stories of lemons even at that price range. The fact of the matter is there is no firm (or even rough) price amount that guarantees great quality, there's always the potential that something will go wrong.

I wouldn't call any of Ibanez's Indo lines the poster guitars for "great quality" either, they can be very hit or miss.

I HIGHLY recommend learning how to do a setup. Given some basic tools and know-how, it's extremely unlikely that you'll do any permanent damage to your guitar unless you go ape.... on the truss rod and strip it. Adjust the truss rod (aim for slight gap at ~7th fret), adjust the action to taste (typically as low as possible without excessive buzz for your taste), then adjust intonation from there. Truss rod is the most difficult of those three adjustments as it requires a much more subtle adjustment (1/8th-1/4 turn at a time) and isn't as quickly apparent, but the effects of the other two can be immediately seen and readjusted back to a "neutral" position.

I don't quite understand your hesitance to get a Prestige, the RG752FX is only 100 Euro more than the 927.

Personally I'd grab an LTD (H-1007 or similar) and swap the pickups, but I vastly prefer the overall feel of ESP and LTD guitars over Ibanez.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I think "ensure" is your key word. You can get lucky at low price points, especially if willing to pay for a fret dressing.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

Youtube is a great resource, there are instructional videos for nearly everything on there.

With the price range you're looking at, I would say it would be unlikely you'll need to mess with the nut or frets, it will likely just be the truss rod and saddle height at the bridge, which are easy and non-invasive (no cutting or filing required).

Relinquish69

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd go Washburn.

http://www.amazon.com/Washburn-PXM170FCRM-Parallaxe-Solid-Body-Electric/dp/B00I5QG0KK

I have this and it really feels great. To fulfil your requirements, you'd need to:

1) Swap out the tuners for locking ones (The Grovers are stable to me so far)
2) Swap out the stock pickups with passive humbuckers of your choice
3) Swap out the pots for push-pull ones (IMO I think the 5 way switch is versatile enough)

Fixed bridge guitars require minimal set up. This particular one has the same kind of fixed bridge as you'd find on a typical strat.

For Indonesian made guitars, I find that tone wise, the woods are pretty good considering that they are not from the USA. Fret job is pretty good, comparable to the guitars that come from the Ibanez Premium factory. To me, this guitar does what it was intended to do at a price point.

The parallaxe series of guitars with the Stephen's Extended Cutaway is great. Only bummer is that this particular model has been discontinued by Washburn. The colour scheme is great. love the matt finishes on this. I'm glad I've got one.

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have 2 Ibanez S Series Iron Label 7 strings. They are both fantastic (no finish blemishes, screwed up frets). Both play and sound really well for what they are. I think with a little more work (professional setup) they could be even better!

But for me they play and sound great. Some of the Iron Label horror stories are true, but there are also some really great one's out there!

It depends if you want to gamble on that. I say go for one of the Ibanez's (Ibanii?), they are reliable workhorses! :yesway:

KrisHQ

Reaction score
Youtube is a great resource, there are instructional videos for nearly everything on there.

With the price range you're looking at, I would say it would be unlikely you'll need to mess with the nut or frets, it will likely just be the truss rod and saddle height at the bridge, which are easy and non-invasive (no cutting or filing required).

That's reassuring, since filing has been a fear of mine, and kept me from doing any setups.

Can anyone link a great series or tutorials for a basic set-up, most of what I find tend to be rather bad quality or filmed poorly.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
That's reassuring, since filing has been a fear of mine, and kept me from doing any setups.

Can anyone link a great series or tutorials for a basic set-up, most of what I find tend to be rather bad quality or filmed poorly.

It's old, and it's not pretty, but Rich knows his .... inside and out - IBANEZ RULES Clean and Setup

For what it's worth, he uses steel wool - There *are* alternative opinions on whether this is good or not. Ben Crowe for example, hates wire wool - here's his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CrimsonCustomGuitars/search?query=setup

laxu

Reaction score

You could grab yourself one of Dan Erlewine's guitar repair books. You might even find one in your local library if you're lucky. I have the "How to make your electric guitar play great" book and it teaches you pretty much all you need to know about setting up your guitars and goes thru some repairs as well.

It's definitely worth learning to setup your own guitars and do small repairs. Nobody else will be able to get them playing and sounding exactly like you want.

Oh and don't be put off by filing. Guitar finishes in general are pretty tough and doing things like filing fret ends if they poke your hands in the winter is no big deal, just use a very fine small file or fine sandpaper. Likewise learning to alter the nut is a good skill as it is by far the worst made piece on most guitars.