How to spot fake Duncans?

Seymour Duncan

• Total voters

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
With the online markets being flooded with fake Duncans now, how do you spot them? I know the fake EMGs use a rougher grain textured cover in a darker black plastic and with shittier looking foil stamp logos. How do you tell with the Duncans? I've seen pictures of some that are really obvious with textured Matt black bobbins, all slugs, and badly stamped logos. But I've also seen pictures that look like the real deal down to the stamping on the bottom of the baseplate and the model and serial number sticker.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Most fakes I've seen use a brass baseplate with no stamped logo and have the model sticker placed somewhere near the center of the pickup rather than by one of the legs. They also say "MADE IN U.S.A." somewhere, cost $25-50 each, and ship directly from China, at least from what I've seen on eBay lately :lol:

It's also entirely possible that some listings just use stock or reposted photos of real pickups, unfortunately. If something seems "off" about a listing, it's usually best to just avoid it and wait for another deal since they're pretty common pickups anyway :shrug:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's really easy actually. You just take a piece of wire, any gauge or type will do. Use a soldering iron to heat up one end of the wire. Touch the hot wire to the pickup. If it grows legs and jumps to avoid the hot wire it's actually Wilford Brimley.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Most fakes I've seen use a brass baseplate with no stamped logo and have the model sticker placed somewhere near the center of the pickup rather than by one of the legs. They also say "MADE IN U.S.A." somewhere, cost $25-50 each, and ship directly from China, at least from what I've seen on eBay lately :lol:

It's also entirely possible that some listings just use stock or reposted photos of real pickups, unfortunately. If something seems "off" about a listing, it's usually best to just avoid it and wait for another deal since they're pretty common pickups anyway :shrug:
I've seen people trying to pass off fake EMGs as real ones in the local classifieds. Duncans are really expensive over here now so I'm trying to figure out if anyone is trying the same thing in the classifieds with them as well.

I've seen people posting reviews on AliExpress with pictures that look like the real ones. All I've seen is SH1 and SH4 and TB4.

Latest posts