i do too much in life to get good :(

• Thread starter RG503
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
"I do too much in life"
/doesn't even practice 540 wheel kicks
I just fucking realized the context of this joke wasn't that the guy was doing wheel kicks 540 times, but that the kicks were 540° spins. Guess I'm a beta now.

On topic: shredding is a school boy's game; you gotta give that up and start playing sludge as you get older. Less Marty Friedman, more Matt Pike.

Last edited:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I'm just glad I have proof out there of me playing licks 16 years ago that Marco Sfogli stole from me!

Hah! I just saw your clips; you are sick, dude!...in a good way!

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
whole day I'm fucking busy
only get few practice

too relatable my dude

I just fucking realized the context of this joke wasn't that the guy was doing wheel kicks 540 times, but that the kicks were 540° spins. Guess I'm a beta now.

On topic: shredding is a school boy's game; you gotta give that up and start playing sludge as you get older. Less Marty Friedman, more Matt Pike.

Tune down, turn up, doom out.

Anecdotally I have heard from a lot of people that made this transition that they find playing slow a lot more challenging. I wouldn't know, as I have never tried to shred, but for obvious reasons I find this belief very appealing. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
whole day I'm fucking busy
only get few practice

too relatable my dude

Tune down, turn up, doom out.

Anecdotally I have heard from a lot of people that made this transition that they find playing slow a lot more challenging. I wouldn't know, as I have never tried to shred, but for obvious reasons I find this belief very appealing. :lol:

I remember years ago I had some old-time members over as we were trying to get a New England get-together going and it didn't quite happen; at the time I was very fast rhythm player, focusing more on gallops a la Schaffer than anything and one of them mentioned playing for feel vs. tightness and I for the life of me could not do it. Gun to me head, if I had to 'groove' I was incapable of doing it and it wasn't until years later I learned to do a middle ground.

Nowadays I'm all about the feel and I'd have to make an effort to get back to thrash style rhythm playing, but it's just wild how you can be so focused on one thing and it eliminates the entire ability to do the other without realizing it.

hayfever

Reaction score
yup, relevant to me too recently:

I had a slight interest in guitar when I was young but was immature and averse to anything that took work, practice, or consistency to improve and was way more interested in playing video games. I picked guitar up again just as a hobby at the end of 2017 but once again didn't practice much until for some reason I finally got the urge to take it seriously in late 2019/early 2020 and started committing to practice at least an hour a day. In the last year I've been in a phase of obsessively trying to get faster working on lead techniques. In the last few months on a good day I can fit in 4 hours of structured practice broken up into two one hour sessions and one two hour session, but most days its just the two hour session. I keep trying to find even more time to practice given my goals but it is pretty tough in this phase of life...

I'm 31 now and feel like what I struggle with most is the mental side of playing - I really have a hard time with being patient with myself. I feel like I'm playing catch up still working on a lot of things that other guitar players took care of in their teens. I'm also past a lot of the noob gains so it seems like I spend a ton of time practicing without improving as much as I did before which is tough. Could all this time I spend practicing be better spent on something else? Maybe, but for some reason figuring out the guitar thing and getting to a point where I can write my own music has been one of the most important things to me in the last 2 years since it seems like I'm always going to keep coming back to it at various points in my life wishing I stayed serious sooner. It doesn't help that the music I aspire to play and write is highly "technical" - tech death, prog metal. It would be a lot easier if I was just interested in playing cowboy chords, heh

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ve been stuck in this situation for the last decade where I’ll get REALLY up to par with guitar but then I take 2-4 weeks to focus on a different instrument and when I get back to the guitar, I’ll have to start all over again. And that works for every other instrument as well. I’m in a constant rotation of mediocrity.

From Feb 2020 - Oct 2021 my personal and professional life were in complete fucking hell, it sucked out so much life out of me that I was pretty much getting home from work, hitting the couch and existing. I managed to get some recording done but in the midst of that, sold my house during a divorce and now that I’m in an apartment, tracking vocals is a bitch.

Then after so much downtime, even when the smoke started to clear, I‘ve been having to force myself into my studio to get shit done. Just like a drug addict needs to re-wire those neural pathways after an extended period of relying on a substance to get those endorphins going, it hasn’t been any different with writing/recording.

I know the best times, for me, are when my output is steady enough that the motivation becomes self-perpetuating because I’m constantly motivated by the last thing I worked on and seeing if I can top it. All it takes is 3 days away from the studio to fuck that up for me.

I just picked up The War Of Art, which I’ve seen at least a dozen musicians suggest in the past. While I get the idea it‘s going to be a lot of “Just do it!”, it was only $11 and can’t hurt to dig into.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

I've never heard of Matt Pike before and just googled him. I'll stick with Marty.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
For some perspective, pardon the self pity, but I practice for around 5 hours a day because my job has a tonne of downtime. I'm also an orphan, and I broke up with my fiancée last year, leaving me alone in the city to which I moved to be with her. I would probably switch places with you in a heartbeat.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ruh-roh. I posted this comment not knowing anything about his conspiracy beliefs. :lol:

I've been kind of following that, it sort of boils down to "how much of me enjoying this music means I know have a connection to David Icke's beliefs?" Pike doesn't strike me as the type who DOES believe it, although looking at him he seems like he'd be the target audience; just that he's read Icke's stuff and it sort of spawns this other idea that then becomes a Sleep/HOF idea, but given the 'source material' does that also mean their stuff is sort of tainted?

The old separating the art from the artist spiel

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I didn't know any of that about Matt Pike, but it's not surprising. I met him in the elevator of my hotel when I was a psycho California, he was a nice dude and gave me a high (not on fire) five. Even if he was at some point an intellectual giant, he's smoked enough cannabis to addle god's brain. Even his stage presence gives strong "dumb rockstar" vibes.

If nothing else, he's one of amerika's last "true rockstars." At least he hasn't diddled any kids or abused any women that we know of.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
People were talking about it in the doom sub-reddit, and the consensus is that Matt's basically a human golden retriever who learned to play guitar; and if that's kind of person you're taking information from/shaping your views from, then you've got bigger problems.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of self-discipline and how you want to look at your time. I think we all have like 3-4+ hobbies that we rotate our attention on, and playing video games has become so ubiquitous that I barely consider it a hobby, similar to watching movies (unless you're a hardc0re g4m3r like some movie buffs). Sometimes after a long day at work I don't want to do any house work or my other hobbies (woodworking, painting minis, biking) and just want to sit down and play video games for a while, and that's fine. People often view video games as a waste of time but if you're getting some enjoyment out of it then who cares? Just don't play games that leave you more pissed than when you started (looking at you, League of Legends). I guess the biggest thing is to not force yourself to play and practice because it might burn you out and make you not want to pick up the guitar at all.

My aimless rambling aside, my point is that there aren't enough hours in the day (lousy 40+ hour work weeks).

Last edited: