i dont know what amp to choose..

zorvo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hello! thanks for viewing my thread, i dont know what amp to get, i mainly black metal and extreme death metal. im from romania my budget is around 250-400 euro. as of right now im looking at the peavey vypyr 60 tube, marshall jcm2000 dsl 201, engl gigmaster 30 with celestion g12t speakers and a blackstar ht5r mk ii. i really want to get the sadistik exekution, early sepultura (morbid visions) guitar tone. im also willing to get pedals if needed. currently i have a harley benton st 20-hh active sbk and a fender frontman 10g. ive had this setup for a few years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A Boss Katana mkii 50w would do the job fine (240€ approx), if you combine it with a Hotone Ampero mini modeler in the fx loop, your tonal palette will be amazing...

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pod xt is over 10 yrs old, obsolete tech...
There's no comparison with a new modeler like the Hotone (in your budget). If you locate any line6 hx stomp used, go for it!!!

zorvo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
would consider the boss mk 2 to be better then the peavey vypyr 60? since it also has amp moddeling in it

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you try any of these first?

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
would consider the boss mk 2 to be better then the peavey vypyr 60? since it also has amp moddeling in it
I would personally. I had a Vypyr Tube120 for a while and had a major board failure. I was able to fix mine, but unless you're able to do it or have access to a tech that will work on it I'd be skeptical of reliability.

I would definitely recommend trying the amps you've listed if possible. Also try anything else you can get your hands on to see if you can get something close to the tones you're after.

zorvo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thats the problem i dont have acces to any of them

zorvo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the peavey is the one that caught my eye because of the versatility but i heard the marshall jcm2000 dsl 201 is good too

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
IMO the Vypyr is the only good amp on that list. It sounds really close to the Peaveys it models and the rest are just a bonus. The Katana sounds like ass compared to it and I honestly don't know why it gets so much love. It's a decent practice amp at best. If you're going to go for a modeling pedal, then just get the pedal and a decent FRFR cab.

zorvo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO the Vypyr is the only good amp on that list. It sounds really close to the Peaveys it models and the rest are just a bonus. The Katana sounds like ass compared to it and I honestly don't know why it gets so much love. It's a decent practice amp at best. If you're going to go for a modeling pedal, then just get the pedal and a decent FRFR cab.
would you say that the marshall jcm2000 dsl 201 has a better rawness and better gain then the vypyr?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
would you say that the marshall jcm2000 dsl 201 has a better rawness and better gain then the vypyr?
For what you want, maybe not. It would need a pedal to get the extra gain.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Not the 201, no. The 40 would be a cool amp. The DSLs are very bright. The EL84s in the 201 make it unbearably so IMO.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Definitely not Blackstar. Otherwise, you're already getting better advice than I could give regarding these options.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Joyo Zombie ii is another great hybrid amp within your budget and sufficient unless you plan to jam with a drummer... It has an fx loop too for a floor modeler if you need in the future.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If your HB has active pickups you may not need a booster in front of the DSL. In other case, an SD-1 as a booster in front of the Marshall is highly recommended! (Although I prefer a metal zone as a booster in front of the dsl - more tight boosted mids controllable by its parametric eq)