"I don't understand why you need another guitar..."

• Thread starter MYGFH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MYGFH

Music your GF hates
Reaction score
"...when you like the one you have and there's nothing wrong with it. But, I support your hobby." Is what my wife said. The only sad excuse I could come up with at the time is "well I figure that I will eventually get another guitar, so, if I get one now it will be cheaper than getting one in a year or so". Pretty lame.
Post the best excuse you've used.

Phantom

Reaction score
I totally understand. Mine is, "Because your closet reads like a guest list to a fancy party. Same thing."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
"I don't understand why you need yet another pair of shoes"

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate the "what about you and your..." arguments, but that's because it's my wife's default defense on shit. She grew up with a younger sister so that's where that comes from :noplease:

But the guys prior have good points. Here's a few things I'd say:

"Yes I have a great guitar and I love it. But, I want to play in different tunings and that means I have to constantly detune which is a PITA and then the intonation isn't perfect and I can't intonate it every time I downtune. Plus the string tension isn't enough for the lower tunings so while I can play the strings are too floppy".

"Yes, I have a guitar, but I'd like one with a different set of features. For example, I can't whammy on my current hardtail one".

"Yes I have a guitar now but I want extended range for additional possibilities".

"It's my money, so STFU!!!!!!!!!!".

"I pay all the rent, gas, electric, internet, and cable bills so STFU!!!!!!!!!"

"I buy one ~$1000 guitar what, 2-3 times a year and you spend $200-$300 a month on fashion and other crap that you want. Seems to even out no? Why is one larger purchase worse than several smaller one's of the same equivalent monetary value???"

Whoops.... went off there :lol: Some of that stuff is obviously only applicable to me and my situation :D

Rev.

stevexc

Reaction score
"See the guitars I've got? There's a white one, a blue one, and a tan one. This new one's red! I don't have a red one yet."

"Yes you do!"

"That's a bass. Doesn't count."

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
In answer to " your gear takes up so much space" I said if I put all your shoes into a pile it would take up more space (wich it probably would)

mongey

Reaction score
keep it ont he down low and just tell her you've always had it if she notices .Then when she disptues it pull out " you never take inteerest in things I like "

Adventrooster

7SNOOB
Reaction score
Aside from the earlier joke, I recently deployed the sales techniques that I have learned in my years of working. Start out big fellas. If you want an $800 guitar, don't tell her. Instead, mention a $1800 guitar. She will immediately shoot it down and the cheaper one will seem more attractive and reasonable.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Tell her what you'd use them for. Alot of people who don't play music have no idea why a guitar would cost over 100 bucks. To them its a bunch of wires, metal and wood. Explain the versatility in owning multiple instruments.

I'm lucky, my girlfriend loves my guitars :) (All 11 of them :p)

keep it on the down low and just tell her you've always had it if she notices .Then when she disptues it pull out " you never take inteerest in things I like "

Hahhahaa I did this to my roommate one time. He was made because I got a new bass after buying my skervesen. He was sticking his nose in my business so I pretended I had got it when my mom came up to visit a few months back haha. (Keep in mind this is a brand new 6 string Ibby BTB 1406e :lol:)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm lucky, my wife doesn't care when I buy stuff. The comments I get are, "Oh that one is pretty." or "I don't like that one as much as your other ones." :lol:

stevexc

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm actually fairly fortunate - my wife (well, fiancee) is/was also a musician, even if she doesn't play anymore, so she understands. Mostly when I mention that I want a new guitar I get "but you can't afford it, we have the wedding and the new house to pay for..." which she's completely right about.

but then i buy me a new tele and a new 7 anyways >.>

ascl

Reaction score
I must be lucky, my wife encourages me (although she doesn't really understand why I'd need more than one guitar). Last year in Japan, I was thinking of getting a nice (cheapish) Edwards LP, wife was all "how often do we come to Japan? may as well make it worth while".... hence I left the country with an Original Series ESP (at well over 3x the cost)...

My wife rocks! :D

Shask

Reaction score
Do you wear the same clothes to every event? Well, I dont play the same guitar for every type of music :)

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
My excuses revolve around the number of strings and intended tuning. "I have a six and a seven but they are both in strange low tunings... I need a regular guitar in standard so I can play normal songs"