"I don't understand why you need another guitar..."

• Thread starter MYGFH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
erm i just don't tell people that would care anymore, because they can get me to back out of purchases, and possibly see reason, idk

if i spoke with someone before purchasing everything i'd still have a roland jc90 and my dad's strat to dick around on, nothing more or less, maybe a cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
I eventually got in the habit of making sure I sold something old in order to buy something new. I generally do this, not to keep the old lady off my back but just because it generally makes sense.

I do exactly the same thing. I find it kinda justifies the situation a bit more. If I sell a big dollar item I always try to invest atleast half back into gear.

That's mainly what my paypal account is for. I'll sell stuff and let the funds accumulate then if something comes up that I really want/need I've got the extra funds to purchase it without having to touch my bank funds.

protest

Reaction score
My wife actually never complains when I buy something, and I'm usually the one that talks myself out of getting things. The only time I really buy stuff though is when I can find a good deal, and I always point that out to her.

She talked me into getting my JP, and didn't hesitate to drive me 90 minutes one way on a whim to pick up my Roadster... This thread is actually making me want to buy her something lol. She doesn't collect shoes or jewelry, and all the expensive things she owns (sans one LV bag) have come from outlets or were bought on clearance.

Sleazy_D

Reaction score
thread summary: single dudes, build your shit up as much as you can, cuz it comes to an end at some point, unless you find a very nice/understanding lady. correct?

Maniacal

Reaction score
GE_XM214_Minigun-2.jpg

Problem solved.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
Man, I never get argued with about music gear. If she ever DOES say anything, i just strap on the axe and turn the amp on and chug away and she gets all tingly in the nether regions. If I spend money on gear there's a good chance I'll get laid too!

That being said, I realize a lot of ladies may not like metal as much as my wife does. SHES the one dragging ME to concerts mostly. GWAR, Between the Buried and Me, DevilDriver and The Faceless, were a few of the last shows we went to just her and I.

All it takes is chugging to get her all tingly?

Some guys have it easy...:noplease:

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I've explained it simply as the difference between a hobby and a passion. When you spend your entire life playing and practicing something, the ROI isn't measured in dollars anymore. It's measured in stress relief and the gratitude of having fun while possibly even entertaining others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
thread summary: single dudes, build your shit up as much as you can, cuz it comes to an end at some point, unless you find a very nice/understanding lady. correct?
Almost. Because even if you find an understanding lady you may end up like me.
Whenever I want a new guitar or bass "I don't understand why I need/want another guitar" is running through my head. :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Almost. Because even if you find an understanding lady you may end up like me.
Whenever I want a new guitar or bass "I don't understand why I need/want another guitar" is running through my head. :lol:

I mean, I fight myself over it in place of anyone else doing it, so there's that too :lol:

vick1000

Reaction score
guitarist worst dream: that his wife will sell all of his guitars for the price he told her, that he paid for them, after his death

Depends on which guitarist you are refering to. The dead one, or the one getting the vintage gear for the price of a chinese copy.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
No wife, but you would not believe the temptation I faced today. My safety mantra is "I play 7 string guitars, not six string guitars." All the while I'm being handed a Zebrawood Charvel and an original (used) Parker Fly for an absurdly low price. interestingly enough, the greatest temptation was a Laney LX65R. Why? We do not get Laney's out here very often. I didn't particularly want the amp but it would be a great amp for a couple of my students or for me to have in my teaching studio. The amp screamed "I'm useful for soooo many reasons!" Fortunately for me, they didn't have the footswitch because if they had, I would probably have another teaching amp in my possession. I was looking for any excuse. :nono:

jimwratt

Reaction score
Domestic violence jokes are not funny. I know it's in jest, but still. DV is some horrifically ugly stuff that we shouldn't make light of.

DarkNoon

Reaction score
I'v gotten pretty lucky, my lady just thinks they're pretty. The worst she does is remind me of how broke I actually am at the thought of a new guitar.

Merge

Reaction score
Aside from the earlier joke, I recently deployed the sales techniques that I have learned in my years of working. Start out big fellas. If you want an $800 guitar, don't tell her. Instead, mention a $1800 guitar. She will immediately shoot it down and the cheaper one will seem more attractive and reasonable.

This is exactly how I get what I want. I learned this, and my ability to completely ignore my wife when she's angry, from my father :metal:

Honestly, my wife doesn't really care that I have a guitar addiction. As long as the bills are paid, I can just about buy whatever I want.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I need another guitar for different tunings. That's the most logical one, I think. With my ex, I would always just tell her my mom bought me the guitar haha. Or just say...what about that 600 bucks you spent on pant suits that you are never going to wear? Or the 300 on shoes? eh...EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

daedae

Reaction score
When we were in grad school I guess my wife would remind me occasionally that we were kind of poor, although since we were just dating and had separate finances for most of the time I don't think she would've done a whole lot more than grumble if I had bought something. Now that we both have decent salaries, she figures that as long as I'm not regularly spending my entire paycheck on gear, it's not a big deal. Last fall I bought a JTV89F and a keyboard when I got my annual bonus, and about a month or so later she asked, "So, what's the next musical toy we're getting you?"