I had 5 of my Guitars Stolen - What do I need to do Next?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
In the process of moving out of my old place, I realized 5 of my guitars were taken. I know this because I went in one day, saw they were there, and when I came back they were gone. I know who stole them, the "Landlord" (Not really the landlord, he was just sub leasing the house to me and my friends.) However, he is denying everything and pointing fingers at everyone else. Why he took them is simple - he is a scumbag and will try to make a buck off anything. One time he tried posting the lawnmower I had at the house on Facebook Martketplace, however I caught it and made him look like a fool. The reason why myself and a few people moved out was because of his lack of ethics, turning roommates against each other, lying, not taking care of the place, pests such as rats, mice, bugs, ect. I got out of therem but when I came back to get the rest of my stuff, my guitars were gone. Not anything else, just the guitars. Keep in mind, the last time I saw the gutiars there was a couple days prior.

The issue I see is he does not own the property, so he has no right to take anything there and I was in the process of moving out.

The guitars are as follows:

Ibanez SV5470 Trans Amber
Ibanez S5470 Trans Black
Ibanez RG550 Purple (Genesis model owned by Nick at the Ace Palace with a one humbucker modification)
Ibanez RG752 Roadflare Red Killerburst Run
Volas Luna Fiesta Red
Also missing a Schecter Custom Shop Case. Thank God no guitars were in it....

Here is the Kicker, I found a Red Vola Luna for sale in my area (Richmond VA) With only a stock picture and an Ebay Profile that is only a couple months old with nothing else posted.

It's just too much of a coincidence, and Volas are not that common, especially around here.

I am talking to the County Police, and contacting a lawyer as well. I have also posted on the local Richmond VA Classifieds on Facebook about this issue and talked to some musician friends. The good news is I am getting some support and people in the community are looking out, but that's about it.

I don't know what to do next. I work very hard, I have a full-time job and two businesses, I bust my ass for my hobbies and my guitar collection. The fact someone up and stole them just eats me alive. Any advice next would be amazing from you all, and if people can keep an eye out online for the guitars I would appreciate it. I doubt they would be on Facebook or Craigslist because he knows I frequent them, but I will keep checking. I just want them back, that's all.

Kevin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
im not saying to necessarily go beat tf out of him and get ur guitars back but this is a situation where its for sure justified

what is he gonna do? go to the police and say you assaulted him because he stole your guitars? The value of them should add up to felony theft in ur state

jaxadam

Reaction score
As a former RVAer I’m terribly sorry to hear this. The good thing is at least you know who it is, so you’ve won one of the more difficult battles.

I had a guitar stolen and it popped up at a local music store years later and they were very very cool about it. So much so that I just let it go. I have a feeling this will end up working out in your favor.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If he did indeed steal the guitars and if that is indeed his eBay listing, it shouldn't be hard for the police to link it to him. All they need to do is submit a request for information to eBay. If he really did steal the guitars and is already immediately trying to sell them on the internet then he's not very smart. He's now in a tough place because he's sitting on stolen goods but can't get rid of them for a good price without incriminating himself and his only "safe" option would be to get rid of them locally as quickly as possible for whatever he could get for them. In the interest of getting all your guitars back, hope that he doesn't wise up and do that.

Any way he tries to sell them other than as part of a literal back alley or parking lot deal in person is going to create a record. Keep watching your local FB Marketplace and Craigslist, as well as eBay and Reverb.

One other thing you might want to do is call up all your local pawn stores and let them know that your guitars were stolen and to watch out for someone selling the specific models you lost.

The combined value of the guitars probably make the theft a felony so hopefully the police will be motivated to look into the issue with due diligence, although in a lot of cases I don't think they're very helpful and most people rely on watching and waiting until they find their guitars pop up for sale.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I don’t suppose you have any proof of the serial numbers? I had a guitar stolen once, and thankfully the GC employees I knew recognized it when some kids came to get it appraised.

I was super fortunate to have the hang tag out of the case, which had the serial number on it. Without it, the police would have let the kids take the guitar.

Reaction score
Damn... that's a sucker pinch for real... may all be returned to you safe and sound. I can't do nothing else from this side of the world but wish you luck.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
im not saying to necessarily go beat tf out of him and get ur guitars back but this is a situation where its for sure justified

what is he gonna do? go to the police and say you assaulted him because he stole your guitars? The value of them should add up to felony theft in ur state

If he did it, I am going to nail him to a Cross and Crucify him like the Roman's did Jesus Christ....

As a former RVAer I’m terribly sorry to hear this. The good thing is at least you know who it is, so you’ve won one of the more difficult battles.

I had a guitar stolen and it popped up at a local music store years later and they were very very cool about it. So much so that I just let it go. I have a feeling this will end up working out in your favor.

Thanks man. BTW, if you know anyone in the Richmond area still and if you can let them know about this, I appreciate it.

If he did indeed steal the guitars and if that is indeed his eBay listing, it shouldn't be hard for the police to link it to him. All they need to do is submit a request for information to eBay. If he really did steal the guitars and is already immediately trying to sell them on the internet then he's not very smart. He's now in a tough place because he's sitting on stolen goods but can't get rid of them for a good price without incriminating himself and his only "safe" option would be to get rid of them locally as quickly as possible for whatever he could get for them. In the interest of getting all your guitars back, hope that he doesn't wise up and do that.

Any way he tries to sell them other than as part of a literal back alley or parking lot deal in person is going to create a record. Keep watching your local FB Marketplace and Craigslist, as well as eBay and Reverb.

One other thing you might want to do is call up all your local pawn stores and let them know that your guitars were stolen and to watch out for someone selling the specific models you lost.

The combined value of the guitars probably make the theft a felony so hopefully the police will be motivated to look into the issue with due diligence, although in a lot of cases I don't think they're very helpful and most people rely on watching and waiting until they find their guitars pop up for sale.

Thank you, I am monitoring everything right now. Craigslist, Marketplace, ECT. I will call all local pawn shops come Monday.

I don’t suppose you have any proof of the serial numbers? I had a guitar stolen once, and thankfully the GC employees I knew recognized it when some kids came to get it appraised.

I was super fortunate to have the hang tag out of the case, which had the serial number on it. Without it, the police would have let the kids take the guitar.

Sadly no, my buddy and I were going to itemize and track my entire collection, however we haven't had a chance. I do know the model numbers and also the specifics of each guitar

I appreciate the support. Fortunately, the rest of my collection is at my house, and none of the most valuable gear was taken (Vintage Gibsons and Fenders, Ibanez Universe 777 GR, JEM 777 Reissues, Schecter Custom Shops, ect.) But it still is a punch to the gut. Plus the way it was done was just way too sneaky....

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I did talk to my good buddy who is a guitar player, and experienced ebay seller. He said that guitar is almost blatantly mine for it being Located in Richmond, Rarity of the instrument and account has Account has 0% Feedback on Ebay.

Time to use my Alias of "Leonard Landon Church" and my work phone number, email and creds to catch the fucker

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder, folks. Document all the serial numbers for your guitars, customized features that would make it identifiable, and preferably receipts or proof of purchase if you have it.

I've got a folder with all that in there as well as ways to identify my guitars should such a situation happen. Sure you might not need ALL that but I want to make sure there's no way anyone who stole my guitar could claim it's theirs.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
If you have your serial numbers recorded, it should identify for sure if it is your guitar on ebay.

edit: ah, you two just posted as I was mentioning serials!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Don't effect bother contacting him personally. Contact eBay to say that they're stolen and get the posts taken down. Contact the police ASAP with his home address so they can pay him a visit. Watch him squirm.

Cops will be all over this as it's an easy win for them. Not a dangerous situation to handle, and a clear situation where someone is in the wrong. They'll probably drive over there same day.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I'm assuming they weren't covered by renters insurance? I know, it's not ideal to claim, but a good underwriter might also be of help.

And FWIW I wouldn't bother exacting physical revenge: it's not worth you getting a criminal record for scum like that. You're better than that. Felony charges and possible jail time will suffice.

I think we all wish you all the best of luck in retrieving your stolen guitars and hope you'll soon be able to post mugshots of the creep soon.

Last edited:

schaefertribe

7 String Bonegrinder
Reaction score
Your local PD or Sheriffs office should do what’s called a “keeping the peace” response. This is done when couples break up or roommates move out of a hostile living situation in order to collect property. They’ll attempt to get consent to search the property for the disputed properties and, as previously mentioned, monitor their behavior during the request.

In the future, you might consider moving your more important and expensive stuff out first. Beds and couches are hard to steal and hock, nobody really cares about clothes, but guns, guitars, electronics, jewelry, etc. that should be moved first IMO and experience.

Hope this is resolved quickly and favorably for you!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Physical revenge is limited. Have you considered
locking him up in a room for 15 years, while preparing an elaborate charade whereby he unknowingly begins a romantic relationship with his own daughter upon his release?

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
locking him up in a room for 15 years, while preparing an elaborate charade whereby he unknowingly begins a romantic relationship with his own daughter upon his release?

The best part is the SOB has twin Daughters and this is a great idea, thank you.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Totally shitty situation, really hopes you can get them back!

Don't you know somebody in the area of the Vola add who can just ask if he can pick the guitar up and check if its the one and if the seller is the landlord?

that trick is pretty old boy ;)

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Totally shitty situation, really hopes you can get them back!

Don't you know somebody in the area of the Vola add who can just ask if he can pick the guitar up and check if its the one and if the seller is the landlord?

that trick is pretty old boy ;)

My friend, who at this point I am calling my brother because he is being such a homie in this situation, who is an experience Ebay seller actually reached out to the guitar posting last night. I am going to check in with him later to see what came of it.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Your local PD or Sheriffs office should do what’s called a “keeping the peace” response. This is done when couples break up or roommates move out of a hostile living situation in order to collect property. They’ll attempt to get consent to search the property for the disputed properties and, as previously mentioned, monitor their behavior during the request.

In the future, you might consider moving your more important and expensive stuff out first. Beds and couches are hard to steal and hock, nobody really cares about clothes, but guns, guitars, electronics, jewelry, etc. that should be moved first IMO and experience.

Hope this is resolved quickly and favorably for you!

Yeah the guitars should have been the first thing I moved. I had A LOT of other ones there too but glad I got them out first.

I am also glad I never had my guns there either. I have a decent collection of them as well, Lord knows what could have happened. Thankfully my dad keeps them locked up in safes at his house

Status
Not open for further replies.