I hate my aftermaths. Regius 7 pickup questions.

• Thread starter sezna
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, I am here to add to the many pickup threads that already exist with one of my own. I can feel your excitement already.

I have a Mayones Regius 7 and it has BKP Aftermaths in it. They can do the chuggz just fine, and be really articulate, but for riffing or any sort of lead, they have this really icepicky upper-mid lower-treble spike that I really can't stand. The neck pickup lacks mids and has the same spike, resulting in an anemic feel. I can imagine this being perfect for djenting all day, but it isn't doing it for me. I'd like something with more mids and a less accented treble range.

I don't need the hottest bridge pickup, but I don't want ultra low output either. I'd like a decently hot net pickup. Additionally, I am unsure what size is appropriate. My Mayones's current aftermaths fit into the pickup routes fairly snugly, so I think that limits me to the BKP shape for a perfect fit?

Some pickups I'm currently considering:
  • BKP Black Dog - I like the mid presence and decent output, highs are a bit rolled off, sounds nice
  • Guitarmory Red Stone - If this would fit, I feel like these have a similar profile to the aftermaths but without the treble spike. I guess I'd prefer a touch more mids but this seems decent.
  • Describing what I want to Elysian and seeing what he says, lol

If possible, I'd like a pickup that offers metal or wood cover options (preferably metal - I know this eliminates Guitarmory), but I will take any suggestions.

Thanks.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Black Dog is great, I really like ceramic Nailbombs, and Black Hawks too. Former is more rocky, latter has more bottom end and sounds "huger". Black Dog is just a really good all-rounder.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Black Dog is great, I really like ceramic Nailbombs, and Black Hawks too. Former is more rocky, latter has more bottom end and sounds "huger". Black Dog is just a really good all-rounder.
I was just looking at the black hawks. They sound decent to me, big bass and really flat response all around. Definitely a contender. Thanks for the suggestion.

When you say former and latter in reference to a list with three things, what do you mean? Is the nailbomb "rocky"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
If you want mid forward and snarly then the black dog or the elysian trident I are really good choices. Black dog can cover a ton of ground but so can the trident I set ime.
The trident I is definitely more modern flavored and has a much tighter low end/ more of a mid spike/a bit more high end. It has even more snarl than the black dog but the black dog has a really unique voice unlike any pickup I've used (it's more of a throaty snarl if that makes sense).
Neither are super hot pickups, but their aggressive voicings and excellent cleans more than compensate for that. If you want a bit more balanced voicing then check out the impulses, they're great if you downtune. They're much beefier sounding than the black dog but it's the good kind (not like the warpig which gets bloated).

Last edited:

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want mid forward and snarly then the black dog or the elysian trident I are really good choices. Black dog can cover a ton of ground but so can the trident I set ime.
The trident I is definitely more modern flavored and has a much tighter low end/ more of a mid spike/a bit more high end. Neither are super hot pickups, but their aggressive voicings and excellent cleans more than compensate for that. If you want a bit more balanced voicing then check out the impulses, they're great imo.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll always value your pickup input given your...excessive experience in the area. :)

I have always wanted to try Elysian stuff and he is near me, so that's definitely a good option.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I was just looking at the black hawks. They sound decent to me, big bass and really flat response all around. Definitely a contender. Thanks for the suggestion.

When you say former and latter in reference to a list with three things, what do you mean? Is the nailbomb "rocky"?

Yeah Nailbomb rockier, Black Hawk is really heavy and full.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll always value your pickup input given your...excessive experience in the area. :)

I have always wanted to try Elysian stuff and he is near me, so that's definitely a good option.
definitely worth chatting with adam, he can always tweak his pickups based off what you tell him. Highly recommend his pickups, especially for 7+ strings.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
I would also recomment chatting with Adam. Great pickups and great guy to deal with.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
I understand what you mean about the Aftermaths, I have them in my Regius, and in a live context think they sound great but on recordings they don't do it for me.

I've got a Nailbomb in my other Mayo which is great, and heard good things about the blackhawks

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Same experience here with the Aftermaths. Replaced them with Elysians Trident II pickups with A8/A5 magnets instead of ceramics. Night and day difference. Tell us more about the music you play, guitar scale/woods and what tuning do you use so we can assist you better.

I find the Elysians A8 Trident II very warm sounding but clear and tight enough for drop A. They have a truckload of mids and are outstanding for leads. Ceramics will be tighter and more agressive if that's your thing.

If you want great lead tones without treble spikes I'd go with alnico pickups. The BKP Juggernauts and Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set might suit you as well. They're all mid-output, similar to the Aftermath.

And of course, don't forget about Lundgrens. The great unknown. Nobody knows nothing about them besides the M7 it seems, but they have a wide catalog and all of the humbuckers are available in 7-string upon request. They're quite hot, though. The "Hot Heaven" and the "Suckerbucker" might work as well if you don't want to dwell into their higher output alnico offerings ("The One", "Black Heaven")

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Same experience here with the Aftermaths. Replaced them with Elysians Trident II pickups with A8/A5 magnets instead of ceramics. Night and day difference. Tell us more about the music you play, guitar scale/woods and what tuning do you use so we can assist you better.

I find the Elysians A8 Trident II very warm sounding but clear and tight enough for drop A. They have a truckload of mids and are outstanding for leads. Ceramics will be tighter and more agressive if that's your thing.

If you want great lead tones without treble spikes I'd go with alnico pickups. The BKP Juggernauts and Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set might suit you as well. They're all mid-output, similar to the Aftermath.

And of course, don't forget about Lundgrens. The great unknown. Nobody knows nothing about them besides the M7 it seems, but they have a wide catalog and all of the humbuckers are available in 7-string upon request. They're quite hot, though. The "Hot Heaven" and the "Suckerbucker" might work as well if you don't want to dwell into their higher output alnico offerings ("The One", "Black Heaven")

I don't play a lot of chuggy stuff, although my music often incorporates fast and low riffs which require some high end for articulation. I also play a lot of leads and I like a very mid-present fusiony lead tone in the neck pickup. Listening to various A/B comparisons, I am in general finding myself preferring alnico. The Black Dogs honestly sound great, but I'd like to get something cheaper if possible.

I'll look at demos of the Lundgrens. I know them, but I haven't ever looked too much into their offerings. And I think I might message Elysian and see if that's up my alley. I have never heard a bad thing about his stuff.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't play a lot of chuggy stuff, although my music often incorporates fast and low riffs which require some high end for articulation. I also play a lot of leads and I like a very mid-present fusiony lead tone in the neck pickup. Listening to various A/B comparisons, I am in general finding myself preferring alnico. The Black Dogs honestly sound great, but I'd like to get something cheaper if possible.

If you decide you're fine with BKP prices, you should also check out the Rebel Yell bridge and VHII neck :yesway:

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
An update:

I want a metal cover, and for smooth lead tones I’m thinking about ordering a Dimarzio PAF 7 in the neck with the unfinished metal cover to match. I could go for an Elysian bridge or maybe a custom SD Alnico 2.

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Nailbombs alnico (I have them in 2 my guitars).
If you're still considering BKP, I suggest you to contact them. They're always very kind and can suggest you the right pickup you need.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Nailbombs alnico (I have them in 2 my guitars).
If you're still considering BKP, I suggest you to contact them. They're always very kind and can suggest you the right pickup you need.
ill look more into them but I wouldn’t mind saving some money and going Dimarzio

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
A lot of the Bare Knuckle range has that upper mid spike and paired with a bright guitar like a neck-thru Mayones its only going to exaggerate it even more. I'd look at Alnico V pickups and maybe even getting something custom made to your specs based on what you don't like about the Aftermaths.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
My vote would be either Nailbombs or Warpigs if you wanna stick with BKPs. Warpigs in particular are darker sounding and might be a good fit if you're having icepick issues. If you want to go with Dimarzio, the various Petrucci pickups tend to be darker and hotter. I really like the Illuminator set myself.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
update: looking at imperium 7s. I like the mid forward sound
I mean, Dimarzio seven string, heavy midrange... A Tone Zone would be worth a look, and you could probably snag a used one for cheap, then flip it for what you paid for it if you like it enough to buy one with a metal cover.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

If you want to go the cheap route, definetely give the Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient a try. Medium output, the Sentient is very well regarded as a neck pickup and the Pegasus is very versatile. Both Alnico5.

They also have metal cover versions.