I Need A Hoodie

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Winter is Coming, lads.

Anyway, I need a hoodie and I'm curious about what you guys all don when the mood strikes.

I've been looking at various Carhartt things and especially this Ten-Year Hoodie. But I'm not above just going to Target or something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I guess I my hoodies the same way I get all my shirts- at concerts- cause, I've had the same Symphony X hoodie for the past five years.

Oh, I've also got an ushanka a friend gave me one birthday. I'm in the south, so I never need anything big, just as long as my ears are warm.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I was gifted an American eagle hoodie about 4 years ago and it's amazing. It I live in to so I wear it like 4 days a year.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Winter is Coming, lads.

Anyway, I need a hoodie and I'm curious about what you guys all don when the mood strikes.

I've been looking at various Carhartt things and especially this Ten-Year Hoodie. But I'm not above just going to Target or something.

Carhartt.

My oldest is 32 years old. My newest is 4. Can't go wrong. I've hunted in the dead of a Michigan winter, clearcut and split wood and they are my daily wear in the winter. They are the warmest hoodie you can buy, and the ain't for decoration.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I used to have a carhartt that I wore for years. You can't get stains out of them. Something about the color is like extra susceptible to looking dirty. But some might argue that it looks cooler dirty. It's not comfy inside. It does not cut wind as well as leather. It's not as warm as down. The zipper make a big belly bump when you sit down.

But so long as you're standing, they do look pretty cool 8)

That 10 year hoody does seem like something pretty neat... but I've had plenty of hoodies that weren't special in any way that did 10 years just fine.

I wish I could offer you advice.... maybe I can?

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ul...riteo-US-PLA&gclid=CK-b5PL34c8CFYuLaQodNPAPaw

That's one of the best investments I've ever made. You can squish it into a ziploc baggy (not even the largest size), or of course the bag it comes with. It's light as a feather. It's really, really warm. Warmer than my carhartt was. But if you pull down the zipper so that the front is open, it lets all the heat out. It's not the best wind breaker, but put it under even a thin raincoat, which does not feel stuffed because this jacket is thin, almost like a jacket liner, and now you've got a winter raincoat/snowcoat.
Also, the one that I have has massive pockets inside. Idk if they've changed the design since 5 years ago.
idk, just my 2c on jackets.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
champion-logo.jpg

Gotta keep it OG.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
What is your price range and applications of use?
I have plenty of great recommendations for stuff that I take backpacking/mountaineering and I also wear most of it around the city.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I just have 3 band hoodies of varying thickness. My Amon Amarth one is pretty thin and light, my Black Dahlia Murder one is kind of a middle ground, and my Mastodon one is pretty thick and good quality bu the elbows are getting warm. When it gets cold enough I usually just throw one of these on and then my spring/fall jacket overtop. Keeps me warm until it hits about -5 to -10 C outside.

I also have a giant Mass Effect N7 hoodie with a blizzard collar because nerd. :fawk:

splinter8451

Reaction score
I just buy H&M hoodies because they fit the best, are cheap, last a couple years, or many years if you don't care about the gradual damage from washing them.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I'm just going to go ahead and be that guy and say please don't buy a cotton garment for nearly $100. Cotton kills ya. I'm not sure if you're living in a wet-ish climate but if you're spending $80 on a cotton hoodie you should just spend an additional $20-$30 and buy some good synthetic/fleece.
I recommend Patagonia, mostly because they have an absolutely ridiculous lifetime
Return policy. I had a rain jacket that delaminated from improper care after three years of use that I bought on sale; brought it to their store and they gave me full store credit even without a receipt. Buy it for life.
Sales
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/111485/patagonia-r1-hoodie-mens
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...annel:online&gclid=CMOz3oCu588CFQyHfgoddhkCUg
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...annel:online&gclid=CL-UwNqv588CFZRcfgodEk0GfA

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Whoa, I forgot I made this thread. Thanks guys :lol:

I just moved to the East Coast and I'm going to be around Maryland/DC/Woodbridge a whole lot and was warned that I was ill prepared for the winters here.

I'd prefer something with no pattern or is just of a plainer look. I work at one of the larger US guitar manufacturers in the wood shop so I need something that won't fall apart in a week. My budget isn't an issue since I'm basically buying a whole new bunch of clothes anyway and I'm a firm believer in buying nice the first time instead of 20 different hoodies year from the damn Wal-Mart.

The guys I've asked in real life have all screamed Carhartt at me because of their longevity.

It would also be nice if it didn't look like crap, but whatever. I might get two different winter things if I want a more "stylish" one and the other for work and general hooliganism. You've all given me a lot to look at so thanks for taking the time!

EDIT:

Damn, that would be a winner if it weren't for those hand things. I'll look at other stuff in their line.

Very possibly as well.

I was looking at more synthetic options similar to this. Thanks for the heads up!

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
From what I've heard about east coast winters you might need more than just a hoodie man :lol:
Try checking out a synthetic/prima loft jacket. They insulate like down and retain warmth even if they get soaked, which cotton will not. Patagonia Nanopuff is a solid option.
My guitar nerd-ery has transitioned lately to outdoor gear so jacket materials for me are now like tone woods are to this forum.

jorymil

Reaction score
It's easy for me to offer advice about what I like, but since I don't know what your needs are, it's probably better to ask some questions first.

Are you looking specifically for a _hoodie_, or more general advice on what to wear during winter?

Hoodie ?s:
Are you looking to wear your hoodie as an outer garment when you're outdoors?
Do you plan on exercising (hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, running, etc.) in it during the winter?
Do you need it to stand up to rough use?
What do you plan on wearing it with? Does it need to go well with slacks?
You work in a wood shop: how important is it if your hoodie attracts sawdust or small shavings? A smooth outer finish will be a _lot_ easier to keep clean than a knit sweater-type hoodie.
Do you want a full zipper in front? Half zipper/buttons? If you fly a lot, airport security makes you take off the full-zipper variety.
Do you want a handwarmer pocket in front? Any other pockets?

General winter advice:
Don't wear cotton if it's raining or you're going to be sweating. If your clothes get wet, change them immediately.

During winter, most people wear a coat of some sort as an outer garment and wear a couple of layers underneath, then take the coat off when they're inside. Wind blows through a hoodie way more easily than it does a nylon parka or wool coat, so unless it's an exceptionally warm one, it probably won't get you through a DC winter. If it's really cold in the shop, then you'll have to take that into account as well.

Don't forget about socks and underwear. Wool socks and long underwear really do help to keep you warm.

For coats, you'll see lots of people doing 3-in-1-type coats/parkas: you can wear just the outer shell, just the fleece lining, or put the two together. You'll also see lots of people wearing Carhartt _coats_, rather than Carhartt hoodies. You'll see people wearing wool coats, too. All depends on what you need your clothes to do!

As much as it might suck, going to a brick-and-mortar store like REI, Bass Pro, army surplus, etc., will help you get an idea of what's out there. It's really hard to know how different fabrics feel, how thick things are, etc. unless you can try it out in person.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Solid advice. ^^ I live in Seattle so I'm not subject to nearly as cold of winters as you guys over there. But still I generally have a solid rain shell and then plenty to layer under that. Most rain shells are great at repelling wind. Then I have a down jacket, wool jacket and fleece that I layer depending on temperature/activity level.
I will say that jackets like this are definitely expensive but holy crap are they worth it man.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Damn, that would be a winner if it weren't for those hand things. I'll look at other stuff in their line.

Oh, but that's one of the best features! It's not like you *have* to use them all the time. If you don't stick your thumbs through the holes, they're just unobtrusive slits in the cuff. But if you're layering and putting a jacket on over the hoodie, it's super useful to be able to hook your thumbs through before you put the jacket on and not wind up with the hoodie sleeves bunched up around your elbows in the jacket. Also, if it's snowing, you can hook your thumbs in and put gloves on over and never get snow against the skin on your wrists.