I sold my Diezel Herbert and did something crazy... NAD

• Thread starter G_3_3_k_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I bought a solid state amp to replace it.

I went with the Boss Waza Head.

I'm actually not sad about it at all. Extra channels. More sounds built in. The one I got was still in the factory wrap and was shipped in the original Roland box. So I think it may have just sat and was getting blown out at a ridiculous price.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to wind it up in practice. However I have tested it through the cab emulated out. First thing I noticed is that it sounded bright. Not surprising since the amp I'm used to, the Herbert, is dark. Its easier to dial in than the Herbert. It is extremely articulate and punchy. The big test was how it handled my Oni. Big, full lows, but still punchy and tight. Lead sounds will cut well and have really enjoyable harmonics. There ARE some solid state characteristics, but the feel is there. And that's what is important to me. I can record direct with it as well since it has a USB out.

I'll respond again Monday night after I use it in context. I may do some recording with it this weekend though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
That's interesting. I've heard you raving about the Herbert for about as long as I remember your username. Mind sharing what price they were blowing out the Waza amps? They're an interesting concept. I always thought they sounded pretty good, but throwing them out there at $2500-3k was really crazy.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
That's interesting. I've heard you raving about the Herbert for about as long as I remember your username. Mind sharing what price they were blowing out the Waza amps? They're an interesting concept. I always thought they sounded pretty good, but throwing them out there at $2500-3k was really crazy.

I got mine basically NIB still wrapped in the plastic for about $1000. I sold the Herbert for almost triple that.

I LOVED the Herbert. That amp is amazing. But where I'm at in life, I just can't have that kind of money tied up outside of my guitars themselves. Which I only have two of. They sound different. But I can't say that the Herbert sounds two grand better. And over time, costs a lot more given tube replacement needs.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
VERY curious how the high gain tones are. Do update us once you’ve had a chance to really dig into it

I'll grab a phone recording in the room on Monday and share it here. Using the Air DI with my headphones it sounds super mean. But that's never as good as a cab.

narad

Reaction score
I got mine basically NIB still wrapped in the plastic for about $1000. I sold the Herbert for almost triple that.

I LOVED the Herbert. That amp is amazing. But where I'm at in life, I just can't have that kind of money tied up outside of my guitars themselves. Which I only have two of. They sound different. But I can't say that the Herbert sounds two grand better. And over time, costs a lot more given tube replacement needs.

Good price! Best I've seen in Japan is about $800 for a used one, $1500 new.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Oh also, if you ever want to sell the head shell let me know. That would be perfect for my Kemper

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Were you able to pick up any of the 'tone capsules' they were making for it ? It's a shame it tanked because it seemed like it was a cool concept. Kind of similar to the concept behind the Synergy modules.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Were you able to pick up any of the 'tone capsules' they were making for it ? It's a shame it tanked because it seemed like it was a cool concept. Kind of similar to the concept behind the Synergy modules.
I think the Waza amps might've done better if they weren't so expensive. The Katana stuff took the majority of the attention, and the Waza stuff got passed over, as did the Nextone stuff.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
It comes with one installed. Their version of the "Brown" sound whatever that means. I'm unsure what they based it on. It sounds good. I think I prefer the built in sound though. I might snag one of the other modules at some point. I'm actually curious if the Roland Robben Ford or Eric Johnson ones will work in this amp. And there's always the Vai one. They aren't cheap though. Like $400 bills for one capsule.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I think the Waza amps might've done better if they weren't so expensive. The Katana stuff took the majority of the attention, and the Waza stuff got passed over, as did the Nextone stuff.

I think for the most part that guitar players are just anti solid state unless they play Jazz. Bass players have been all about it and don't mind paying big money for a good solid state amp. Its not that they are really that much cheaper to produce. They aren't when built with the same attention to detail that most high end tube amps get. Guitar players think as much with their eyes as they do with their ears though. Case in point. Gibson is still building designs that are far out classed and have lower general quality and reliability than some chinese guitars for 3-5k. And people still eat that shit up. Doesn't make sense to me. We've rehashed different permutations of the same exact guitar tones in various different clothes for over 40 years now. I'm ready to get outside of that and explore some other stuff.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
HNAD! I have a Herbert, so I assume this has got to be good for you to sell it without regret.

Case in point. Gibson is still building designs that are far out classed and have lower general quality and reliability than some chinese guitars for 3-5k.
Please tell me what Chinese guitar is better than a Gibson Custom.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
HNAD! I have a Herbert, so I assume this has got to be good for you to sell it without regret.

Please tell me what Chinese guitar is better than a Gibson Custom.

I’ve played far more duds that were Gibsons than any other brand of guitar at generally any price point. Granted, I’ve played some Gibsons that were superior guitars. My point being, that the consistency of product out of Gibson’s factory leaves a whole lot to be desired. Whereas, I’d take an Epiphone over a Gibson generally, because I can rely on what I’m getting being of a consistent quality. I also feel like Gibson’s adherence to tradition over innovation is also a big issue with quality. Any guitar that can pop a headstock off as easy as a Gibson has a design flaw. That falls under QC for me. I’m other words any guitar that is not prone to that same kind of regular issue is of higher build quality.

I love the Herbert. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a fantastic amp. It tends to be on the dark sounding side tonally, which is generally an issue for me. Also size and weight were starting to be an annoyance. The Waza head is less than half the weight. An extra footswitchable channel. I can record with it in my apartment silently. No tube maintenance/expense. It’s a tighter amp. My 8 sounds way clearer through it unboosted. There’s a lot of reasons why it’s an upgrade. And no one is using it. Which to me is really cool. It’s a sound that only I have.

narad

Reaction score
Aside, but Gibson custom shop quality since 2015 has been incredibly consistent, and I've walked into shops and played 8 or so different ones and loved each one in different ways. If you don't like LPs that's your own thing, but they're doing an awesome job these days.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Aside, but Gibson custom shop quality since 2015 has been incredibly consistent, and I've walked into shops and played 8 or so different ones and loved each one in different ways. If you don't like LPs that's your own thing, but they're doing an awesome job these days.

I can get a better guitar for that kind of money regardless. That’s aside from the fact that I still see the headstock issue as an unresolved design flaw.

WarMachine

Reaction score
peS5WTu.gif

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve said my piece. If I didn’t have a wedding to be at I’d be recording something with it right now.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
This thing seems really nice. I've seen it out there but never looked into it because of the price. but the used prices seem more reasonable (like half price). The sounds on the demos are also really nice. They seem dynamic and non of that IR tone. Really surprised it's not stereo though.
- I'm guessing they don't sell most the tone capsules anymore other than the Vai one. It's hard to find a list and descripition of all the capsules, but they look interesting.
- 4 channels is a big win. This head has peaked my interest for sure. Boss is such a great company.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
This thing seems really nice. I've seen it out there but never looked into it because of the price. but the used prices seem more reasonable (like half price). The sounds on the demos are also really nice. They seem dynamic and non of that IR tone. Really surprised it's not stereo though.
- I'm guessing they don't sell most the tone capsules anymore other than the Vai one. It's hard to find a list and descripition of all the capsules, but they look interesting.
- 4 channels is a big win. This head has peaked my interest for sure. Boss is such a great company.

I love Boss. And Roland. It DOES sound really good I have to say. But it’s it’s own thing. There’s a recorded track with Gabor something or other that gets some of the tones pretty accurate.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I think for the most part that guitar players are just anti solid state unless they play Jazz. Bass players have been all about it and don't mind paying big money for a good solid state amp. Its not that they are really that much cheaper to produce. They aren't when built with the same attention to detail that most high end tube amps get. Guitar players think as much with their eyes as they do with their ears though. Case in point. Gibson is still building designs that are far out classed and have lower general quality and reliability than some chinese guitars for 3-5k. And people still eat that shit up. Doesn't make sense to me. We've rehashed different permutations of the same exact guitar tones in various different clothes for over 40 years now. I'm ready to get outside of that and explore some other stuff.

I think part of the stigma around solid state amps is that in the past, a 100 watt Valvestate VS100 wasn't nearly as 'loud' as a 100 watt JCM800. So although the tone was there, it would tend to get buried when playing with a full band. These days, with 'Class D' power supplies and you can easily get 500 watts out of a relatively small power supply, you would think ss amps would be everywhere but aside from 'modelling' amps (Katana, Spider, Jaguar, etc...) I have no idea who even makes one anymore. The last really decent ss heads I've used were a Peavey XXL and (technically it's a hybrid) Randall T2.
It kind of is a bit of a shame because with all of the great sounding distortion pedals out there, ie: KSR CERES, TightMetal, AMT Legend 2 pedals, etc... You'd think all they would have to do is connect one of those circuits to a class D power supply, put it in a shell and you'd have a bad ass sounding solid state amp.