I Started a T-Shirt Business

• Thread starter maggotspawn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I teach guitar for a sliver of additional income and it covers my internet bill and a couple coffees, if that counts.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Thanks. Good luck with the books, I'll try to check them out.
For interwebz bros, I still got some freebie copies, for those of us foggies still into non-digital stuff.

Good luck with the shirt business. You get picked up by the right cross-promoter, or somebody here in a band that gets around a bit, you could build some great word of mouth.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I actually never thought to teach at all.
Pre pandemic i had a few students and it was basically covering my car payments, that was nice. Family expansion means it’ll be a bit before I even want more than one or two.

Hopefully the shirt thing finds its market!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I sorta want to start doing guitar repairs and setups on the side but I've no idea at all how to do the business side of things. Also I have no free time.
Same. But I want to build guitars. Between work, the wife, and kids, I have zero time to take on anything new. I mean, I suppose I could get off reverb and SSO, and use THAT time, but that's not gonna happen. :lol: I say that it's going to be my retirement hobby, though, so at least I have that to look forward to.

OP, that's a pretty cool design language you have on those shirts. You planning on doing any other designs, or sticking with just that? I suppose in theory you could do oodles of them, because you just make them on order, right?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
In November 2020, my girlfriend decided she didn't want to feel like she wasted the *whole* pandemic and the benefits afforded to her through being able to WFH, so she tried her hand at making some concrete planters for herself. After getting a little better, making too many to keep around the house, she started an Etsy store in February of 2021.

She makes everything, and does the in-person craft shows and pop-up market events (I have a health issues that makes it so that I can only drop her off and pick her up from the nearby events).

I handle all of the supplies, all of the packing and shipping, and I make whatever new wooden display fixtures she needs for her pop-ups, like table top shelving units, plate racks, some planter stands, etc.

Since Feb 2001, she's made over 2,000 sales through Etsy (which includes almost all of the in-person sales, because her Square account is linked to her Etsy shop), and then a few custom orders.

1688196939189.png

asopala

Reaction score
What happened to your store?
I run an online store myself as a side hustle. It's definitely an adventure balancing it with my day job.
Something that helped me a lot in marketing my products is this Facebook adspy tool. I've been using it regularly, found it super valuable for examining what works best in terms of advertising. Get to peek in on the competition, too.
Worth checking it out for your T-Shirt business (if you still have it), might help you make some of that gear money!

maggotspawn

Reaction score
What happened to your store?
I run an online store myself as a side hustle. It's definitely an adventure balancing it with my day job.
Something that helped me a lot in marketing my products is this Facebook adspy tool. I've been using it regularly, found it super valuable for examining what works best in terms of advertising. Get to peek in on the competition, too.
Worth checking it out for your T-Shirt business (if you still have it), might help you make some of that gear money!
Things weren't selling, so I deleted the store.