I tried a bunch of different STL Amphub models and compared them

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I mostly wanted to try Amphub because they had some really interesting models (like the Steavens Poundcake and Framus Dragon/Cobra) that I'd never seen modeled before. I've used their IR loader and Ignite Emissary off and on for a year or so whenever I don't feel like plugging into my amps. For being free I think Emissary is pretty good (with the right IRs).
Anyways, I used my PRS Mushok with a BKP Silo bridge to make a DI, then I just ran that through models that I thought were interesting sounding with whatever eq settings sounded good at the time. I think the SLO/JCM800/ENGL 530/Steavens Poundcake models are some of my favorites right now. YMMV obviously.

I'm not really a fan of the subscription based model, but you can buy individual models as well apparently. Overall I think the modeling is pretty good, and the UI is pretty intuitive unlike some other plugins

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I'm a fan of them, and yeah fuck having subs though. I do really like their Powerball, 6505 and the QuickRod
Yeah a lot of people seem to dig the Powerball model. I liked it but the E530 seemed bigger sounding and a bit clearer, which is why I preferred it. I think their SLO model is awesome (minus how ungodly bright it gets). I may just outright buy that one.
I haven't really messed with the Quickrod enough to form an opinion of it. The 6505/5150 are just boooooring. They're modeled well but everyone and their mother has a 5150 model lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrWulf

Reaction score
the STL 6505 has a slightly different profile compares to some of the other ones I think. Its really fucking beefy and really easy to play due to how compressed it is. I do want to compare it to the Josh Middleton version though, considering its basically the same amp

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Started out strong with that Bogner being very believable but then turned to a bunch of shit. Not saying they aren't passable tones, but just not that representative of the amps IMO. Shocked they have a Steavens Poundcake in there... been looking out for one of those for forever.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
This video is making me wish I would've bought a Framus Cobra when they were like $800... :(

MrWulf

Reaction score
Started out strong with that Bogner being very believable but then turned to a bunch of shit. Not saying they aren't passable tones, but just not that representative of the amps IMO. Shocked they have a Steavens Poundcake in there... been looking out for one of those for forever.
Some of them are less sim and more "approximation". For example, the 5153 red channel needs a boost when in actuality, you really really don't. I do think their pedal and post fx range + IRs are really what sells these, less so than the sim itself

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
the STL 6505 has a slightly different profile compares to some of the other ones I think. Its really fucking beefy and really easy to play due to how compressed it is. I do want to compare it to the Josh Middleton version though, considering its basically the same amp
I already did that to see if having different variations left and right would give a more interesting stereo image. I abandoned it because the Josh one just sounds objectively better.

MrWulf

Reaction score
The Uber and the VH4 in the Will Putney one is really really outdated. If anything they should re program those 2

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
They have an amp #6 now that is interesting, although I don’t know what it’s based off of. The updates seem reasonable to me and I’ve been able to get good recorded tones with it for the past few years since it’s been released.