I was there

• Thread starter Andromalia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
I was at the first Bonnaroo. It was awesome.

And I also saw housers last panic show in Iowa.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was about 3 feet from James and Kirk when they played here in Vancouver . Caught a pick Lars threw as well . Probably the highlight of my life .

In case anyone didn't know , they filmed Through The Never here , so I guess they like Vancouver . Least to say the energy at that show was insane . Gojira and A7X opening up was quiet the nice touch too .

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
literally for the last 20 years until right now here today I have thought hellfest was exclusively a hardcore festival

all thanks to this dude Ruben who showed us a video of his favorite band, Unearth, playing at Hellfest back in my community college music appreciation course

I still think about Ruben, I hope he's still playing live hardcore videos for old ladies in community college

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I was there to have a beer with the guys of The Human Abstract and Protest The Hero on their European tour in 2009.

Then later in 2010, I was there to see Neal Morse do an unplugged setlist at a church for my friend's baptism, then sharing a meal with Neal and hanging out with the Transatlantic guys the following day before and after the concert in Madrid. How that bizarre situation came to be is pretty surreal :lol: but the moments themselves were amazing. I felt like a total groupie. :rofl:

But also, seeing Porcupine Tree on their last tour before the hiatus. And adding to that list will be seeing them on their comeback tour in September. I may or may not shed tears.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
literally for the last 20 years until right now here today I have thought hellfest was exclusively a hardcore festival
It did start that way, but you have been skipping a few seasons here. :D Hellfest nowadays has possibily overtaken Wacken as the biggess metal festival in Europe.
Currently watching BMTH and although it's not my style of music, they're a very valid band to see live, I'm impressed.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It did start that way, but you have been skipping a few seasons here. :D Hellfest nowadays has possibily overtaken Wacken as the biggess metal festival in Europe.
Currently watching BMTH and although it's not my style of music, they're a very valid band to see live, I'm impressed.
I was watching that this morning too and BMTH killed it ! That crowd was nuts . From all the livestreams I saw , they were the most rowdy for sure .

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I tend to avoid bigger bands/venues/crowds and mostly like weird underground shit, but I guess a few that I won't forget:

* Pantera, White Zombie, and Deftones in Augusta Maine back in the mid-90's. I was just a kid, but the crowd was super tame during White Zombie and I'd kind of made my way up to about three rows from the stage. As soon as Pantera started, the big drunk redneck in front of me hauled off and just started punching the guy in front of him in the back of the head as hard as he could over and over. Not moshing or anything, just senseless violence. I noped right out of there.
* somewhat notoriously, I saw Life of Agony right after Caputo had left the band and they had Whitfield Crane (from Ugly Kid Joe) filling in for the tour. Weird selection, but he did better than I was expecting.
* A couple absolutely amazing Einsturzende Neubauten shows in NYC in the early 00's. If you haven't seen them live, it's hard to describe how tight they are.
* an early Krallice show at a Less Artists More Condos gig. LAMC was kind of a weird popup thing where they put on shows in random locations, mostly squats. So it was basically seeing them in someone's living room. Bloody Panda also played that show and became a personal favorite.
* a bunch of early A Place to Bury Strangers shows at Death By Audio.
* Sunn 0))) at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple. They played there a couple times and it's pretty much the perfect venue for them.
* Gojira in the Studio at Webster Hall (which is basically the basement) in 2012.
* saw Down one time and Phil was so wasted that he mostly just mumbled through the songs and then went on incoherent rants for 10 minutes between every song while Kirk and Pepper gave him the stinkeye.
* saw Om play in the Egyptian Temple in the American Museum of Natural History.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor.....

That’s really cool. Steve Vai-era Whitesnake is my favourite album each have done. I’d love to see him tour with them.

I was there when Opeth played all of a Blackwater Park for the DVD at Royal Albert Hall.

I was there when someone threw their New Rock boot at Marlyn Manson’s head almost knocking him out.

Because of Ireland being the last stop on a tour I’ve often seen the last show a band or band member has played. I was at Blink 182’s final show......Until they started touring again a few years later.

I was there at a Steve Vai show in Dublin that he tried to make a live DVD for but the audience was so drunk they ruined every comedy sketch and pre-song speech. He took it well but probably left thinking a lot less of the Irish.

I was there at Dragonforce’s lowest point. Sam was so drunk he forgot his solo and played a 15th fret bend repeatedly for 16 bars.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Not a ton of these moments for me I feel at all the countless shows I've been to.

Saw Ronnie Radke get boo'd off stage in Philly for being an asshole because Falling In Reverse was the only thing standing between that crowd and the return of Underoath.

Ended up at a Five Finger Death Punch concert once just for Phil Labonte from All That Remains to be on vocals, that was actually kinda neat.

Kendrick Lamar stopped an arena show here because too many white girls were saying the n word once too and wouldn't start again until he was assured they were done. I know that went viral.

Otherwise, pretty tame at the hundreds of concerts I've been to lol

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck Whitesnake. They bailed here at less of 12h of their show. Trumped up excuses saying the drummer was ill, but refused to provide any medical proof or report. They even had already travelled to the next country without even arriving here (all their backline was already set up for them) and were posting Instagram shit casually.

They had the show paid and just decided not to play, and now the promoter has to sue them. Not cool.

Fuck them.

I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor.....

Let's not leave this unnoticed.

Last edited:

mastapimp

Reaction score
I was there when Scott Weiland ripped an enormous hole in his skin-tight leather pants during the first song of the STP concert. He played it off like a total pro...kinda moon-walked offstage while the band jammed for 5 minutes for him to get changed.

Also caught Filter in a small club when they were supporting "The Amalgamut" album. Richard Patrick was on fire, poured everything into his performance, even got into the fetal position screaming at the end of one song. Found out on blabbermouth the next day that his lively performance was because he couldn't handle the drugs and they cancelled the remainder of the tour so he could go to rehab.

I was there when Tosin Abasi asked me after the show in a college town where any nearby nightclubs were so he could "get rowdy."

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Periphery’s first Canadian show, pretty sure born of osiris, veil of maya and after the burials first canadian shows too. Back when all that was new :lol:

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I just remembered I was at a festival and Pop Evil was "playing" mid-day between some other heavy hitter radio rock bands before Gojira and Lamb of God came on and it was pretty apparent they were miming the whole set...still to this day not entirely sure why, but basically something happened with the PA where they physically stopped playing but the music obviously continued and it was very apparent they were not playing at all. Pretty embarrassing overall. Some of the bands later in the day called it out too which was even funnier.